Change Message-ID and In-Reply-To

General discussion about Zimbra Desktop.
zim_mike
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Change Message-ID and In-Reply-To

Post by zim_mike »

I find that the message headers give way too much information about the senders environment.
For example, it adds 1120943886.9454.1531845067368.JavaMail.pcname@fullpcname.

I'm not a spammer and I use multiple accounts from my PC to respond to emails from different support companies. The problem is that the message ID always shows that all emails, no matter the company I am responding for shows that PC information. This has been brought up several times and now am wondering if there is some way or making this more private so it's not obvious all of the replies are coming from one PC.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Re: Change Message-ID and In-Reply-To

Post by phoenix »

I don't see that on my server (ZCS 8.8.9), all I see is this:

Code: Select all

Message-ID: <920453294.1597.1531846534653.JavaMail.zimbra@mydomain.uk.com 
The 'zimbra' is added by ZCS, it's not the hostname and obviously the @mydomain.uk.com is valid.

Plus another line with the FQDN & IP address of the mail server, none of those cause me problems.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
zim_mike
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by zim_mike »

That's interesting. In my case, if I look at the headers in any of the emails on my zimbra desktop client, they all have the pc name ref.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

zim_mike wrote:That's interesting. In my case, if I look at the headers in any of the emails on my zimbra desktop client, they all have the pc name ref.
It's not my day today, I overlooked the fact this was ZD you were talking about, I was just using the Web UI although I would have thought that ZD shouldn't be that intrusive. In any case, I'm not really sure that it matters if you're behind a NAT router and/or firewall.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
zim_mike
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by zim_mike »

It matters not in terms of security but in terms of privacy. What is the point of using a desktop mailer that can handle multiple email accounts if tehy all look like they are coming from the same PC? That is a problem in my work.