Backup in External locality

General discussion about Zimbra Desktop.
elderf
Advanced member
Advanced member

Backup in External locality

Post by elderf »

Hello greetings to all

We have in production a server with Centos 7 and zimbra version 8.8.12 opensource .. currently manages 200 mailboxes ..

We want to manage a backup policy on a different server via rsync .. is this possible? Is there a manual to do it? We are still in test with Zextras Backup but the documentation is very bad and we do not get anything that tells us how we can send the backup copies to another server from zextras via rsync ..

Some data?
axslingr
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15.GA.3869.UBUNTU18.64 UBUNTU18

Re: Backup in External locality

Post by axslingr »

There's nothing special about doing this. Just rsync your zextras backups to a remote server.

Code: Select all

rsync -av /your/zextras/folder user@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:/some/backup/folder
Lance
elderf
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by elderf »

This is where I have the doubt ...

My server has 200 accounts that occupy 2.4 TB of disk space of a total of 4TB installed ... I have approximately 1 TB of free space

How much space do the backups occupy? first they are generated and saved in local and then sent by rsync? or are they generated at once and sent by rsync?
axslingr
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15.GA.3869.UBUNTU18.64 UBUNTU18

Post by axslingr »

elderf wrote:How much space do the backups occupy?
If you're running smartscans with zextras, this will show you space occupied by the backups:

Code: Select all

du -hs /your/zextras/dir
elderf wrote:first they are generated and saved in local and then sent by rsync?
I typically set the backup directory locally and run a smartscan daily at 1am. Then schedule a cron job afterwards to run a bash script that rsyncs to a remote location.

Lance