Failure communicating with remote server. Please try again later.

If Zimbra Desktop had a sync failure, it may have told you to post your error in this section.
rona

Post by rona »

Hi,

I need help, please.
Zimbra Desktop cannot connect to server at all. Also, on the web client I receive an error message 502 when trying to login.

Here are the details from the desktop client:
(debug info)
error while proxying request to target server: HTTP/1.1 502 Bad Gateway Exception:

com.zimbra.common.service.ServiceException: error while proxying request to target server: HTTP/1.1 502 Bad Gateway
ExceptionId:btpool0-10:1501275912698:e834b1fe1fc7adb7
Code:service.PROXY_ERROR Arg:(url, STR, "https://mail.unseen.is/service/soap/SyncRequest")
at com.zimbra.common.service.ServiceException.PROXY_ERROR(ServiceException.java:323)
at com.zimbra.common.soap.SoapHttpTransport.invoke(SoapHttpTransport.java:247)
at com.zimbra.common.soap.SoapHttpTransport.invoke(SoapHttpTransport.java:164)
at com.zimbra.common.soap.SoapTransport.invoke(SoapTransport.java:407)
at com.zimbra.common.soap.SoapTransport.invokeWithoutSession(SoapTransport.java:393)
at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.ZcsMailbox.sendRequest(ZcsMailbox.java:690)
at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.ZcsMailbox.sendRequest(ZcsMailbox.java:652)
at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.ZcsMailbox.sendRequest(ZcsMailbox.java:647)
at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.ZcsMailbox.sendRequest(ZcsMailbox.java:640)
at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.ZcsMailbox.sendRequest(ZcsMailbox.java:636)
at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.ZcsMailbox.sendRequest(ZcsMailbox.java:632)
at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.ZcsMailbox.sendRequest(ZcsMailbox.java:628)
at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.ZcsMailbox.sendRequestWithNotification(ZcsMailbox.java:624)
at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.DeltaSync.sync(DeltaSync.java:103)
at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.DeltaSync.sync(DeltaSync.java:89)
at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.MailboxSync.sync(MailboxSync.java:192)
at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.ZcsMailbox.sync(ZcsMailbox.java:125)
at com.zimbra.cs.service.offline.OfflineSync.handle(OfflineSync.java:55)
at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatchRequest(SoapEngine.java:412)
at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatch(SoapEngine.java:287)
at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatch(SoapEngine.java:158)
at com.zimbra.soap.SoapServlet.doWork(SoapServlet.java:303)
at com.zimbra.soap.SoapServlet.doPost(SoapServlet.java:217)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:725)
at com.zimbra.cs.servlet.ZimbraServlet.service(ZimbraServlet.java:206)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:814)
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:511)
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(ServletHandler.java:390)
at org.mortbay.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:218)
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.SessionHandler.handle(SessionHandler.java:182)
at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.handle(ContextHandler.java:765)
at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.handle(WebAppContext.java:422)
at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandlerCollection.java:230)
at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.java:114)
at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:152)
at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.rewrite.RewriteHandler.handle(RewriteHandler.java:230)
at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:152)
at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.handle(Server.java:326)
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:585)
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.content(HttpConnection.java:988)
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:756)
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:218)
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:415)
at org.mortbay.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.run(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:429)
at org.mortbay.thread.BoundedThreadPool$PoolThread.run(BoundedThreadPool.java:451)
Islander

Re: Failure communicating with remote server. Please try again later.

Post by Islander »

Unseen.is mail server has been showing Error 502 for a week now. I can't login into my mail account either. The account on the main site (unseen.is) works ok, but that only has chat functionality. Every attempt to login into mail.unseen.is or webmail.unseen.is leads to this:
HTTP ERROR 502

Problem accessing ZCS upstream server. Cannot connect to the ZCS upstream server. Connection is refused.
Possible reasons:

upstream server is unreachable
upstream server is currently being upgraded
upstream server is down
Please contact your ZCS administrator to fix the problem.

Powered by Nginx-Zimbra://
The problems is definitely on Unseen server side, not user end, so,we can't do anything to fix this error. I have contacted Unseen support - they've done absolutely nothing. It looks like they don't really care anymore. The situation is pretty bad as I'm expecting a few important emails. If Unseen don't do anything soon, the ultimate answer to dealing with a website that doesn't work properly is to go somewhere else. Which is sad, as I've been using Unseen for a while.
rona

Post by rona »

Thank you! I'm experiencing exactly what you described with their web client as well. I wasn't sure if the problem was on my end or with their server. Now it's much clearer.
I am very disappointed. I am not a paying client so maybe they want $$? I sent an email to the webmater and there has been no response so far. By the way, the upgrade to 7.3 Zimbra desktop client had been failing several times so something is wrong with the service overall.
I guess you're right and it's time to move on... any suggestions for other email services which also respect privacy?
Islander

Post by Islander »

I've received no reply from Unseen webmasters either, nothing. The error 502 is still there. I'm not a paying client either, so I guess they couldn't care less. I was using the web interface at mail.unseen.is , but I'm reading around the internet that there have been problems with Zimbra update in general. I just wish Unseen would say something as to whether they are going to fix anything at all.

I have been without email access for a week now, and can't wait any longer. I'm looking at changing to Protonmail. Created a new account yesterday, so far so good. They seem to have a very privacy-respecting registration process, not asking for any personal details. Hopefully they stay that way and won't be sold to some spying enterprise down the track, like Skype was.
L. Mark Stone
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: 10.0.6 Network Edition

Post by L. Mark Stone »

Islander wrote:I've received no reply from Unseen webmasters either, nothing. The error 502 is still there. I'm not a paying client either, so I guess they couldn't care less. I was using the web interface at mail.unseen.is , but I'm reading around the internet that there have been problems with Zimbra update in general. I just wish Unseen would say something as to whether they are going to fix anything at all.

I have been without email access for a week now, and can't wait any longer. I'm looking at changing to Protonmail. Created a new account yesterday, so far so good. They seem to have a very privacy-respecting registration process, not asking for any personal details. Hopefully they stay that way and won't be sold to some spying enterprise down the track, like Skype was.
Their site does say "Beta 3", but I'm not apologizing for them.

The 502 error means that the front-end Zimbra proxy can't talk to a mailbox server.

When you go to log in to a Zimbra hosting farm with multiple mailbox servers, the proxy has no clue on which server your mailbox lives. It's just a proxy, not a web server, so it picks at random one of the available mailbox servers to paint the login screen where you fill in your username and password. After you enter your credentials, an LDAP lookup figures out on which mailbox server your mailbox lives, and the proxy starts asking that mailbox server to paint the Zimbra UI.

If that's the point at which you always get the 502 error, then the mailbox server on which your mailbox lives has an issue.

If you get the login screen OK, then you know there are mailbox servers still available and responding.

Since there are a number of comments on their web site from users complaining about the 502 errors, you are right that you are not alone!

I know that won't solve your problem, but thought you would want a response to your posts here nonetheless.

Good luck!
Mark
Islander

Post by Islander »

Thanks Mark,
The 502 error shows up after entering the username and password and clicking 'sign in'. However, sometimes even the page with the login form cannot load. Either way, as you noted, many Unseen users have the same problem, so it's definitely a server-side issue.
They do says it's "Beta 3", but it's been working fine up until a week ago. Since then, there is no info as to what is happening and when or if it will be fixed.
L. Mark Stone
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: 10.0.6 Network Edition

Post by L. Mark Stone »

Islander wrote:Thanks Mark,
The 502 error shows up after entering the username and password and clicking 'sign in'. However, sometimes even the page with the login form cannot load. Either way, as you noted, many Unseen users have the same problem, so it's definitely a server-side issue.
They do says it's "Beta 3", but it's been working fine up until a week ago. Since then, there is no info as to what is happening and when or if it will be fixed.
Yup; sounds suboptimal for sure!

That you get the login screen most of the time indicates that some mailbox servers are up and running (else the login screen wouldn't paint at all). But that you can't login to your mailbox indicates that your mailbox server unfortunately is not up and running.

All the best,
Mark
Jules

Post by Jules »

Hi, Rona, Islander, and Mark.

I too have had this problem. But, unlike Islander and Rona I paid(so your not paying has nothing to do with it). I started a business and decided on unseen because of the of the information that was sent back and forth. I run a screening business for prospective tenants and employees. I am a start up and have hundreds of cards out there with my unseen email and now I have no idea whether people have tried to contact me or not.

I can not believe customer support has not gotten back to us. Well they got my $ and I may have lost me hundreds! May not sound like a lot to most, but I left my job to start this business.

Jules
Islander

Post by Islander »

Hi Jules,
Your situation is totally unacceptable. Not only you are a paying customer, you are using (tried to use) Unseen service for your business. I really feel sorry for you. Because of this Unseen mail outage, I too have lost/missed a few important emails and contacts, but at least I was lucky not to have @unseen.is address printed on my business cards, and only used it as an auxiliary email address for what was supposed to be highly secure and private communications.

I understand that errors, bugs, glitches and breakdowns do happen, but Unseen at least could reply to customers like you, or publish a notice on their website. Instead, they just gone silent and left us guessing whether they don't care, went out of business, or were pushed out of operation by some secret agency of mass surveillance maniacs.
daledawg

Post by daledawg »

Is anyone here still using unseen.is? I use them for email service, but I have been getting the same 502 error message for the past two days. I was hoping maybe someone had some advice from past experiences, or if someone knows of the status of unseen.is. I hope to hell they are not out of business.

HTTP ERROR 502

Problem accessing ZCS upstream server.