RENAME failed: Client tried to access nonexistent namespace. (Mailbox name should probably be prefixed with: INBOX.)

If Zimbra Desktop had a sync failure, it may have told you to post your error in this section.
JoeG

RENAME failed: Client tried to access nonexistent namespace. (Mailbox name should probably be prefixed with: INBOX.)

Post by JoeG »

Setup as IMAP. Originally the folders were inside the inbox which got very confusing so moved the folders to be at the same level as the inbox which is the correct way to do this. The problem is getting many many errors such as: Error type: RENAME failed: Client tried to access nonexistent namespace. (Mailbox name should probably be prefixed with: INBOX.) (0.001 + 0.000 secs).
Item ID: 296
Error summary: Synchronization of folder '/ARGENTINA' disabled due to error: Unable to rename remote folder to ARGENTINA

There are about 25 folders each of which gets this error.

No idea how to fix this, everything seems to be working ok except for the errors.
JoeG

Re: RENAME failed: Client tried to access nonexistent namespace. (Mailbox name should probably be prefixed with: INBOX.)

Post by JoeG »

Looks like I'm the only one that has seen this error. Seems like zimbra keeps trying to rename INBOX/folder to folder. or move folder out from the Inbox even though it has already been moved. Multiple folders that I moved out from Inbox so getting a few thousand errors daily. I may have to move on to a new client which I don't really want to do.
stefaniu.criste
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.8_GA_1728 20180614052922 201806

Re: RENAME failed: Client tried to access nonexistent namespace. (Mailbox name should probably be prefixed with: INBOX.)

Post by stefaniu.criste »

JoeG wrote:Looks like I'm the only one that has seen this error....
You are not alone
We have a customer who previously had email provided through a cPanel server with Exim+Dovecot
After importing the mailboxes, all "regular" folders appears as subfolders of Inbox (like the ones below starting with dash)

Code: Select all

Inbox
- Drafts
- Junk
- Sent
- Sent messages
- Trash
Drafts
Junk
Sent
Trash
If you set an IMAP client to connect to the mailbox and delete the Inbox subfolders, errors like yours appear.
Try to delete the account in the IMAP client, reorder the folders (move subfolders in the same level,etc) and then set again the IMAP client
Stefaniu Criste - managing partner
Hangar Hosting - a safe place for your business
proudly delivering Zimbra services in Romania
JoeG

Post by JoeG »

stefaniu.criste Thanks for replying. I am going to try to create a new account on zimbra without removing the existing account. I don't think I can put just one email offline so I'll extend it's sync time to be max while I test.

I'll setup a account with a new name and see if it get the error. It appears that what is happening is Zimbra is trying to move folders out of the inbox to place them at the same level as the inbox. The error happens cause the folders have already been moved and no longer exist in INBOX/.

I did find another and possibly unrelated error with the password in the account setup. It would not validate! I ended up having to change the password on the server and then make the change in setup for it to register a password change, I could not use the same password that I had.. I actually had to change it.

Any Ideas appreciated
Joe