Very Disappointed

(Formally Chit Chat) Anything Goes (Almost). Should be somehow Zimbra or communication related.
maxypaxy

Very Disappointed

Post by maxypaxy »

I was forced to switch from Outlook to Zimbra for work and have to say I am very disappointed. There is such less functionality with this program and I am required to click at least twice as much to get the same outcome as I used to from Outlook. For instance:
1) When I click to open an email to read it and then decide to delete it, the program goes back to the main email reading pane, it doesn't progress to the next email. This causes me to again click on the next email, and if I want to delete that, I have to start all over again. Problem: Double-clicking whereas in Outlook this was not an issue.

2) When email is open, the arrows to go to previous or next email are on the extreme right of screen, away from all the other prompts.

3) Companies often require now that emails are bcc'd. There is no option to keep the bcc as a default. I always have to select bcc when I am creating a new email. Again, double clicking or selecting when with Outlook there was a bcc default option.

4) The spell check doesn't retain a vocabulary of selected words making the function repeatedly highlight the same names, etc.

5) The address book is has almost no functionality in its present form -- it is just a list. I used to be able to see columns of address and sort my contacts by company. Now, all I have a an alphabetical list of over 500 contacts. Useless.
Unfortunately, these issues are going to slow down productivity by adding more steps to achieve prior same results.
maxypaxy

Very Disappointed

Post by maxypaxy »

[quote user="maxypaxy"]I was forced to switch from Outlook to Zimbra for work and have to say I am very disappointed. There is such less functionality with this program and I am required to click at least twice as much to get the same outcome as I used to from Outlook. For instance:
1) When I click to open an email to read it and then decide to delete it, the program goes back to the main email reading pane, it doesn't progress to the next email. This causes me to again click on the next email, and if I want to delete that, I have to start all over again. Problem: Double-clicking whereas in Outlook this was not an issue.

2) When email is open, the arrows to go to previous or next email are on the extreme right of screen, away from all the other prompts.

3) Companies often require now that emails are bcc'd. There is no option to keep the bcc as a default. I always have to select bcc when I am creating a new email. Again, double clicking or selecting when with Outlook there was a bcc default option.

4) The spell check doesn't retain a vocabulary of selected words making the function repeatedly highlight the same names, etc.

5) The address book is has almost no functionality in its present form -- it is just a list. I used to be able to see columns of address and sort my contacts by company. Now, all I have a an alphabetical list of over 500 contacts. Useless.
Unfortunately, these issues are going to slow down productivity by adding more steps to achieve prior same results.[/QUOTE]
Every single email I receive from others or send that has a signature with a photo/logo shows up as an email with an attachment making the sort function by attachment USELESS!
13546dalmate
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Very Disappointed

Post by 13546dalmate »

If you want to improve it please file a bug in here.

Do not only complain.
maxypaxy

Very Disappointed

Post by maxypaxy »

First of all, I have no idea what you are talking about "fire a bug".
Secondly, this is per Jenn Emerson on how to use this forum "So, I am inviting you to expand on your feedback here. I'm interested! I want to know what you think. All points of view are valid, I'm just curious about the root of your opinion. Please feel free to speak your mind here. There's no one here to judge or argue with you."
Maybe someone should notify Jenn that the judge free zone really doesn't exist here as it should.
Brad_C
Advanced member
Advanced member

Very Disappointed

Post by Brad_C »

I think he meant "file a bug" which is intended to suggest you might create bugs in the Zimbra bug tracker with RFE (request for enhancement). That way your feedback actually gets seen by the developers and may be acted upon.
Additionally right in the forum title it says "Whether you are a current user, former user, a VMWare employee, or anyone with experience using any of our products, we welcome your feedback. Please include a specific product name and version when relevant."
It is relevant. What product are you actually complaining about? You are entitled to your point of view, and constructive feedback is always good, but you've not told us what product you are using to compare against outlook (and in fact you have not told us which version of Outlook you are comparing against).
Feel free to complain, but please make your complaints useful and give us some information to work with.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Very Disappointed

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="maxypaxy"]Maybe someone should notify Jenn that the judge free zone really doesn't exist here as it should.[/QUOTE]Don't be so pompous, nobody was judging you he was trying to offer you some advice about filing a bug report for your problems and even gave you a link to bugzilla so you could go and file them. That's what happens in a Community Support forum. :)
While we're into quotes, you've missed out the important part of Jenn's post about using this forum:
[quote user="Jenn Emerson"]When you do make an original post, I'd just like to ask that you provide some of the finer details like: product name, version, specific functions/features in question and your organization.[/QUOTE]We don't even know which product your using nor which version, they are important details.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
maxypaxy

Very Disappointed

Post by maxypaxy »

Bill, funny how you call me pompous but I'm not the one telling people how to behave.
Zimbra 8.06. Other than that, I don't know. I am the end user of a program that was forced on us. I am not in IT, don't write code.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Very Disappointed

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="maxypaxy"]Bill, funny how you call me pompous but I'm not the one telling people how to behave.[/quote]You're mistaken, nobody is telling you how to behave.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
Brad_C
Advanced member
Advanced member

Very Disappointed

Post by Brad_C »

[quote user="maxypaxy"]

Zimbra 8.06. Other than that, I don't know. I am the end user of a program that was forced on us. I am not in IT, don't write code.[/QUOTE]
Ok, so you are using the Zimbra Web Client. If it was forced on you, what were your choices before? Obviously Outlook Web Client, but unless that was forced on you also then you must have had other options. What were they?
Personally I'm not that much of a fan of the Zimbra interface, but I prefer it to any incarnation Outlook. Given my choice (oh look, lucky me I have a choice) I still use Thunderbird.
If you don't have an option, perhaps you need to have a word with your employer about your dissatisfaction with their choice of mail client. The Outlook fat client can talk to Zimbra server and behave quite nicely. I have one user who is insistent on Outlook and they interact with the Zimbra server just fine. In fact it has the bonus that when Outlook inevitably crashes and trashes its local files, we can just re-install it from scratch and re-sync all the mail from the server.
If you'd like to help improve Zimbra, then go ahead and file some RFE's in bugzilla. If you just want to stamp your feet and talk about how life is unfair then you can do that too, you just won't get any results or sympathy. Ultimately if you are so unhappy about it, I'm sure there are plenty of other employers still on the Microsoft treadmill.
nrc

Very Disappointed

Post by nrc »

[quote user="maxypaxy"]I was forced to switch from Outlook to Zimbra for work and have to say I am very disappointed. There is such less functionality with this program and I am required to click at least twice as much to get the same outcome as I used to from Outlook. For instance:[/QUOTE]

I'm in the opposite situation. After six years with Zimbra I was forced to switch to Outlook. Yes, it has a million options but for many of its functions it's like "welcome to email circa 1995". And if you want a real laugh try Outlook Web.
The bottom line is that if you want Zimbra to work like Outlook it's not going to. If you learn how to use Zimbra as designed then you'll be much happier. That's not to say that Zimbra can't or shouldn't improve, but don't expect it to become Outlook. This is 2014.