Google Android and Zimbra

Take your Zimbra with you!
rgsilverman

Post by rgsilverman »

Thanks UXbod, I wasnt sure, just going off of what my IT guys told me.. I have been using Touchdown to send mails, and it works fine. I used the native client to read them, as the touchdown reading interface isnt too good.
thomascameron

Post by thomascameron »

It chaps my hide, though, that after paying many hundreds of dollars for a phone which has native ActiveSync, I am expected to buy an additional $20 app to use... ActiveSync.
ylz

Post by ylz »

[quote user="rgsilverman"]It seems from investigation, that 6.07 might fix this? Although, my IT guys have not installed it, as they say it "Just"came out???[/QUOTE]
You might be interested in subscribing to this bug report:

It">https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=41145
It contains the information, that this will be fixed in 6.0.7. According to pm.zimbra.com, 6.0.7 will be released at end of may.
12237Dirk
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by 12237Dirk »

That sounds like rather poor support from HTC, although in their mind, they have a working piece of software and see no reason why they should change it for anyone.
I've seen this type of support impasse before. Zimbra wont fix it because to do that means breaking the written word of the specification, and HTC wont fix it because they dont see it as broken. They implimented it to work with Exchange and it does work with Exchange.
The realist in me says that you may never find a good fix for this. You could edit and recompile Zimbra yourself or try hacking the firmware on the phone.
The fanboi in me says ditch the HTC piece of crap and buy iPhones.
The rebel in me says ramp up the case against HTC and force them to impliment the spec correctly. I'm sure if Redhat tapped them on the shoulder and asked nicely, they may just listen.
bdial
Elite member
Elite member

Post by bdial »

the sensible side in me says drop the $20 on touchdown and call it a day
fang0654

Post by fang0654 »

The patched mail.jar in the above bug report works in 6.0.6. Quick fix until we upgrade to 6.0.7.
kirme3
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by kirme3 »

Just as an FYI, I have a user with an incredible that ran into the same issue. To workaround it, I set up activesync but disabled the syncing mail option. Then set up a second mail account as imap. I know it's not "active" in a sense, but it gets the job done...and saves ya $20. Now he gets his mail on his phone in an acceptable interval and gets his calendar and contacts sync.
thomascameron

Post by thomascameron »

Oh, I already have the two account setup. One with ActiveSync to sync contacts and calendars, and one with IMAP to sync mail. That's not the point. The point is, I paid for an HTC phone which advertises ActiveSync, HTC's implimentation is buggy, and they've given me the big middle finger about it. Kinda hacks me off.
uxbod
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by uxbod »

Fixed (workaround HTC broken implementation) in ZCS 6.0.7 :- Bug 41145 - Support for HTC "Work Email" Android app for ActiveSync
thomascameron

Post by thomascameron »

When will 6.0.7 be available?