cool add ons: mobile client, file manager, im, blog, forum

Take your Zimbra with you!
iqula

Post by iqula »

Hi, wow I think zimbra is a great os contribution I was thinking of some other things that would be really cool to integrate.
a simple mobile phone client that is really user friendly

a file store facility

an im client

a nice blog facility

and a nice forum like this one
any other ideas?
I'm going to have a look at some os solutions that might fit snuggly and will be sure to post my findings, any suggestions are welcome
great work the zimbra team!!!
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by 14319KevinH »

[quote user="iqula"]Hi, wow I think zimbra is a great os contribution I was thinking of some other things that would be really cool to integrate.
a simple mobile phone client that is really user friendly

[/QUOTE]
Our plan is to provide a couple sync based options. SyncML, ActiveSync, Blackberry, and we've also got a flash based pocketPC client we are working on.
[quote user="iqula"]

a file store facility

[/QUOTE]
We are working on full document sharing and versioning
[quote user="iqula"]

an im client

[/QUOTE]
It's planned.
[quote user="iqula"]

a nice blog facility

[/QUOTE]
Lots of good blog tools out there so doubt we'll add this.
[quote user="iqula"]

and a nice forum like this one

[/QUOTE]
Same as above, plenty of good forum software out there which we don't plan to reinvent.
[quote user="iqula"]any other ideas?
I'm going to have a look at some os solutions that might fit snuggly and will be sure to post my findings, any suggestions are welcome
great work the zimbra team!!![/QUOTE]
Thanks.
strobhen

Post by strobhen »

[quote user="14319KevinH"]

We are working on full document sharing and versioning

[/QUOTE]
Ever seen alfresco? It is an extremely nice document management solution with a business model similar to Zimbra.
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by 14319KevinH »

[quote user="strobhen"]Ever seen alfresco? It is an extremely nice document management solution with a business model similar to Zimbra.[/QUOTE]
Yep. It's been mentioned here before. Ideally we'll find a way to capture a few intregration points with the various doc mgmt frameworks out there. A couple JSR's address that may be a good place to start. Stay tuned!
iqula

Post by iqula »

I see that thinks are well underway here with a lot of good stuff, zimbra is really going to rock the web.
Regarding the mobile phone client, I just saw gmail has introduced one that is specifically designed for modern mobile phones I have tried it out and it's definatly something I'll use on the go.
The integration of a blog and fourm would be nice and like it has been noted here is recoding them would be a waste of time as there are really good ones already done, but having a shared users table would be quite nice.
I think a good idea would be to have an addon pack project with existing os projects that fit well. All it would really be is an easy to use installer that installs these extra os projects sets them up and changes a few files so that they are integrated into the zimbra db and menu. Perhaps a fun project that zimbra could host and get the community involved in so they can focus on their good work.
marcmac
Elite member
Elite member

Post by marcmac »

[quote user="iqula"]

I think a good idea would be to have an addon pack project with existing os projects that fit well. All it would really be is an easy to use installer that installs these extra os projects sets them up and changes a few files so that they are integrated into the zimbra db and menu. Perhaps a fun project that zimbra could host and get the community involved in so they can focus on their good work.[/QUOTE]
That's basically what we are now, wrt postfix, mysql, openldap, tomcat, clamav, spamassassin, amavisd-new, etc all configured to work with our mailserver technology and our client.