Zimbra mobile + BIS?

Take your Zimbra with you!
azilber
Advanced member
Advanced member

Zimbra mobile + BIS?

Post by azilber »

Hi All,
I'm in a bit of a pickle about what to get. I need to get 2 blackberry users to receive their email from Zimbra. We will be purchasing Zimbra mobile (we have 1 user on the nokia e-62 and 2 on BB 8800's).
We are running IMAP ssl with a commercial cert. I tried setting up a user with IMAP over ssl using Cingular/AT&T's Blackberry Internet Service (BIS) which supports IMAP w/SSL. Unfortunately, it wouldn't work. Kept giving errors. The Notify link hosted service is quite pricey, so I'm wondering if anyone has gotten the BB to work with the BIS, and if there's a way to get the BIS working with either Zimbra over SSL or Zimbra Mobile.
We are using 4.5.1 of Zimbra Network edition.
Thanks!

Alex
gmsmith
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Zimbra mobile + BIS?

Post by gmsmith »

Couple of things I would check:
1) Can you make any kind of IMAP connection to your server just try from CLI try doing: telnet your.server.com 143 (or telnet your.server.com 993) and see if you can make a connection...if you can't start with your firewall, if you can; then proceed to step 2
2) Setup an IMAP profile in Outlook and try making the connection, see if you can download mail, if not, check the error messages you are getting and post those here.

Zimbra Mobile has no impact on the Blackberry connections, they would be straight pop/imap connections.
Klug
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: All of them

Zimbra mobile + BIS?

Post by Klug »

If your phone provider allows it (and I guess it should if they're using the BIS), you can also use the BIS "the other way round".
Put a rule in your Zimbra to forward your mails to your BIS account.
We have customers doing it both ways (POP3 check setup on the BIS or forwarding from Zimbra to the BIS account) and they seem to be happy with it.
azilber
Advanced member
Advanced member

Zimbra mobile + BIS?

Post by azilber »

[quote user="gmsmith"]Couple of things I would check:
1) Can you make any kind of IMAP connection to your server just try from CLI try doing: telnet your.server.com 143 (or telnet your.server.com 993) and see if you can make a connection...if you can't start with your firewall, if you can; then proceed to step 2
2) Setup an IMAP profile in Outlook and try making the connection, see if you can download mail, if not, check the error messages you are getting and post those here.

Zimbra Mobile has no impact on the Blackberry connections, they would be straight pop/imap connections.[/QUOTE]
We're using IMAP over SSL including the outlook plugin just fine. Just doing plain imap over ssl in outlook works well as well. Across the firewall, it works as well.
Maybe an issue is that we're using a GoDaddy ssl cert for the imap? But that should be no different then self-signed if the bis doesn't have the intermediary.
-Alex
azilber
Advanced member
Advanced member

Zimbra mobile + BIS?

Post by azilber »

Didn't think of this one.. didn't know users have a bis email account. Will try that one! :-)
-Alex
[quote user="8141Klug"]If your phone provider allows it (and I guess it should if they're using the BIS), you can also use the BIS "the other way round".
Put a rule in your Zimbra to forward your mails to your BIS account.
We have customers doing it both ways (POP3 check setup on the BIS or forwarding from Zimbra to the BIS account) and they seem to be happy with it.[/QUOTE]
azilber
Advanced member
Advanced member

Zimbra mobile + BIS?

Post by azilber »

Weirdest thing, but it looks like the BIS checks to make sure the domain name is the same for your username and the imap server. Either that, or it needs imap.. I never read any docs on the BIS so maybe this is proper behavior. We had this setup anyhow and when I setup a new account automatically, it picked up the imap domain, even though it's not an MX for the domain. Strangeness...
-Alex

[quote user="gmsmith"]Couple of things I would check:

Zimbra Mobile has no impact on the Blackberry connections, they would be straight pop/imap connections.[/QUOTE]