Using non Apple mail apps in iOS

Take your Zimbra with you!
mericleman

Post by mericleman »

Has anyone figured out how to successfully connect their Zimbra account to a third party email app on either the iPhone or iPad. I can only get it to work when I am connected to my work network. It works fine for the native Apple email app, but no others. I want to use Mail Pilot for its workflow potential rather then the native client.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="mericleman"]Has anyone figured out how to successfully connect their Zimbra account to a third party email app on either the iPhone or iPad. I can only get it to work when I am connected to my work network. It works fine for the native Apple email app, but no others. I want to use Mail Pilot for its workflow potential rather then the native client.[/QUOTE]There should be no problem connecting via IMAP or POP3, see this wiki article.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
mericleman

Post by mericleman »

Bill, the setup in the wiki article works fine as long as I am connected to my internal network at the office. Once I leave and try to connect via cellular or other wi-fi network I get a "Could not connect to account" error message. I have talked to my IT staff and they can't figure out why it does not work. It seems to work fine for the default apple mail client in iOS, but not a single third party app.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="mericleman"]I have talked to my IT staff and they can't figure out why it does not work.[/QUOTE]That makes no sense to me unless your IT department has restrictions in place that are stopping your access. Without any access to the server or log files (not that I want it :)) there's not much anyone can do. You could try to access the relevant ports using telnet from outside your network, the relevant ports would be 143, 587 & 993 - IMAP, the Submission port & IMAPS. Your IT staff need to look in the log files and see what's happening or even if there's any attempt at a connection from your device and also check if those ports are open or the IMAP(S) service is enabled.
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
mericleman

Post by mericleman »

Thanks, I will talk to them again. Because the apple email app (in iOS) works just fine, they can't figure out why third party apps don't.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="mericleman"]Thanks, I will talk to them again. Because the apple email app (in iOS) works just fine, they can't figure out why third party apps don't.[/QUOTE]I'm assuming that your company is using the Network Edition of Zimbra and if that's the case, the native app uses EAS for it's connection not IMAP(S).
I'm also assuming that your (forum) email address contains your company domain name, if it is then the connections to ports 143 & 993 on that mail server are refused and that indicates that either the firewall ports are not open or the IMAP service isn't enabled (in the Admin UI) on the Zimbra server. That's really about all I can tell you about the configuration and possible problems.
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra