Z-Push Zimbra Backend (Push Email, Contacts, Appointments & Tasks)

Take your Zimbra with you!
liverpoolfcfan
Elite member
Elite member

Post by liverpoolfcfan »

[quote user="7224jobe"]Hi liverpoolfcfan, last week I updated from Zpush 1.5 + backend v.52.1 to Zpush 2.0.7 + backend v.55, then today I upgraded to the new v.56 of the backend. Everything ran smoothly, and all the smartphones synced without problems with the new version.

However in z-push-error.log I found three similar errors, that I want to report for your interest:
And nothing related to the error on 26/04.[/QUOTE]

Please open Tickets on the Sourceforge site for any troubleshooting questions rather than use this (already lengthy) thread.
That said, the first errors you quote 25/04/2013 21:38:31 [16820] [ERROR] [m.r] LoopDetection->ProcessLoopDetectionPreviousConnectionFailed():are related to the new loop detection code in z-push 2. I am pretty sure it is harmless if you only see it on a rare occasion - and may be related to downloading large attachments though I am not sure. You would need to open a ticket on the z-push forum to request for help on those.
The third one

[Thu Apr 25 21:20:36 2013] [error] [client ] PHP Fatal error: Call to a member function GetCachedMessageLists() on a non-object in /srv/www/htdocs/z-push/backend/zimbra/zimbra.php on line 1029relates to an issue that was resolved in Release 56 - so you should not see that one again.
liverpoolfcfan
Elite member
Elite member

Post by liverpoolfcfan »

[quote user="heiko h."]Hi at all,
I have a Release 6.0.10_GA_2692.UBUNTU8_64 UBUNTU8_64 FOSS edition running and I do not get any z-push 2 release operationally.

I allways see the same error.
z-push.log

29/04/2013 22:53:47 [ 2010] [ERROR] [admin] LoopDetection->ProcessLoopDetectionPreviousConnectionFailed(): Command 'Sync' at 29/04/2013 22:45:58 with pid '2004' terminated unexpectedly or is still running.

29/04/2013 22:53:47 [ 2010] [ERROR] [admin] Please check your logs for this PID and errors like PHP-Fatals or Apache segmentation faults and report your results to the Z-Push dev team.
Apache2 error.log

[Mon Apr 29 22:53:47 2013] [error] [client xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] PHP Fatal error: Call to a member function GetContentClass() on a non-object in /var/www/z-push/backend/zimbra/zimbra.php on line 3744

PHP version is 5.3.3 on CentOS 6.3 (Z-Push Server)
After the first sync (it works) nothing is synced anymore.

Does anyone have a suggestion? Is my Zimbra too old?
Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]
Please open a ticket on the sourceforge site, and I will try to help you. Z-Push Zimbra Backend / Support Requests
heiko h.

Post by heiko h. »

[quote user="liverpoolfcfan"]Please open a ticket on the sourceforge site, and I will try to help you. Z-Push Zimbra Backend / Support Requests[/QUOTE]
Done, Thank You...
liverpoolfcfan
Elite member
Elite member

Post by liverpoolfcfan »

Release 56.1 of the z-push zimbra backend has been uploaded to SourceForge (
An">https://sourceforge.net/projects/zimbrabackend/)
An issue was discovered in Release 56 by a couple of users with modifying an appointment on the device using z-push 2.0.7 - this issue does not exist in the latest z-push 2.1 beta or in the trunk version - so it had been missed during testing. As it is just a bug fix I have decided to release it as 56.1 rather than bump the version to 57.

NEW FOR RELEASE 56 - Use with z-push 2.0.7 or later
NEW FOR RELEASE 56 - An issue has been identified with the list sorting method utilized

by z-push in conjunction with zimbra. The basic sort method used in the diffstate.php

module (which Zimbra backend utilizes) is a numeric comparison. While this works fine

for a zimbra user with no shared folders - it does not work once the user has folder

shares in their sync floder list. Zimbra precedes the message IDs from shared folders with

the GUID of the sharing user. This GUID is non-numeric - so the sorting breaks down. This

can result in duplication of appointments/contacts/tasks when used in conjunction with

virtual folders on devices that need to virtually include all items into a single calendar/

contact list/task list. Devices that support multiple folders (such as iPxxx devices) are

not affected. Mail folders are unaffected as they all get synched individually. The

solution for this is to allow the sorting method to be overridden. I have requested a

change in z-push to allow this. In the meantime, a change is needed to the baseline

/lib/default/diffbackend/diffstate.php in the function RowCmp() to allow the sorting to

work correctly. The function should be changed as follows :-
static public function RowCmp($a, $b) {

// TODO implement different comparing functions

// VJS commenting out standard comparison method and

// using string compare instead

// return $a["id"]
return strcmp( $a["id"], $b["id"] )
}
Hopefully, z-push will adopt a suggested fix for this I have proposed, and this will not

be an issue in future. But until that time, this change will need to be reapplied after

every z-push upgrade.

Changes Made To Revision 56.1:
These changes are for the z-push-2 version ONLY

The z-push-1 and as12.1 versions are still at Revision 54
- In ChangeMessage for appointment - ensure contentParameters exists before

calling GetMessage()

- Check for existence of 'ms' and 'rev' fields in ModifyAppointmentResponse

as it seems zimbra 6.0.x does not report them

Changes Made To Revision 56:
These changes are for the z-push-2 version ONLY

The z-push-1 and as12.1 versions are still at Revision 54
- Added function fixMS to handle json_decode "floated" millisecond timestamps

- Added handling for native Multiple Task folders for Apple devices - a new

switch has been defined for config.php - ZIMBRA_DISABLE_MULTI_TASK_LISTS -

see INSTALL for details

- Fix output of Exceptions to Recurring Appointments by using the new z-push-2

SyncAppointmentException class and fixing the exceptionstarttime

- Added handling of incoming Appointment Exceptions, including attendees

- Fix iPxxx "preview" of HTML-only email showing "this message has no content"

- Output Exception DTstamp instead of overall Appt DTstamp for exceptions

- Implemented ResolveRecipients - but fix needed in z-push-2 to allow this

to function correctly. This has been reported upstream.

- CALDAV created appointments do not seem to set OrganizerName and

OrganizerEmail. Check for the contents of both before building SOAP message

when modifying an appointment.

- Output lastverbexecuted - zimbra does not save sequence of verbs - just flags

so replied is given precedence over forwarded (same as GUI)

- Code cleanup - use $zimbraFolderId instead of overwriting $folderid

- Only output exceptions array on appointment if not empty

- After InitializePermanentStorage - check that a valid StateObject is returned

and if not, delay and re-read, to allow for limited file contention between

threads from the same device

- After InitializePermanentStorage - make sure _cachedMessageLists is an array

- Change in GetFolder to prevent fully shared (linked) accounts/folders from

being considered as special Mail folders (Inbox/Trash/Drafts/Sent)

- Fix in MeetingResponse to return empty string for meeting decline

- Added CustomRowCmp function in hope that z-push might adopt suggestion

This list includes the changes for 56 and 56.1
As always please read the release notes for all updates since your current Release prior to updating.
10424bofh
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by 10424bofh »

Ife upgraded vom an very old Version and Zpush1 now to 56 / today on 56.1
Here some notes

1. Use Zpush beta 2.1 Milstone 2 http://zarafa-deutschland.de/z-push-download/beta/2.1/

2. Provision is now built in in zpush and can be used with a commandline utility - no mysql needed - mysql doenst even work anymore

3. zpush now delivers a commandline live viewer where we can see whats going on - more than helpful - this is a eral awesome thing beside its poor use of bash echos to display text (if ife time ill adapt it to ncurses)

4. The load on the Zimbra server now is much much lower, but a little bit more load on apache on the zpush server - still its way faster and more effective than zpush 1 and absolutly worth the upgrade

5. i noticved in an old version of zimbra backend that android 4.1.2 kills phonenumbers if android dont knwo the datafield but zimbra does - i dont know how the latest zpush1 backend version do but 56 and 56.1 DONT kill numbers anymore.

6. 56.1 and ZP 2.1m2 seems pretty stable even ife it only running for 48 hours
atm ife over 150 mobiles phones connected. mostly android, 25-30% iphones and tablets. everything runs smooth and fine

serverload on the syncserver between 25 and 60% on a regular Xenon E5 cpu (euqivalent to an core i7)
Load on the zimbra almost none anymore - bevore zpush was about to kill my zimbra because of some wierd account (yea have some users who got several tousand calendar entries, and zimbra is fetching em very badly resulting in up to4 second mysql requests not funny at all)
Next test with outlook 2013 - even it does not reckognize zpush as an Activesync server you can sue outlook with AS on zpush with a trick - add the account - klick next an error apears it does not find an AS server - use tasktmanager to kill outlook.exe - with that trick the account is added and can sync - how well i dont know but im testing it right now :))
Somenote about the backend - liverpool is doing more than a great job, we should get him some tickets for some championsleage final IF liverpool makes it there xD

together with outlook 2013 his work might become more important than ever - maybe its the final door to get outlook running with zimbra OSS

Ad Point 1:

I would not recommend using zpush 2.0.7 because it seems 2.0.7 has a bug with the loop detection among other
Yaroze

Post by Yaroze »

iOS 7 has Activesync Notes support, is this going to be added to the backend?
liverpoolfcfan
Elite member
Elite member

Post by liverpoolfcfan »

[quote user="Yaroze"]iOS 7 has Activesync Notes support, is this going to be added to the backend?[/QUOTE]
Firstly, iOS7 is not available as yet to the general public. Until it is I would have no way to experiment.
Secondly, and more importantly, what would it sync to ? zimbra 7.2.4 is the latest I have run, and it has no Notes folder type. Perhaps one has been added in zimbra 8 but if it has I am not aware of it ?
lytledd
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: Release 9.0.0.ZEXTRAS.20221203 FOSS

Post by lytledd »

[quote user="liverpoolfcfan"]Perhaps one has been added in zimbra 8 but if it has I am not aware of it ?[/QUOTE]
No,
I'm running 8.04 and the layout is pretty much the same as 7.x.
Doug
Yaroze

Post by Yaroze »

[quote user="liverpoolfcfan"]Firstly, iOS7 is not available as yet to the general public. Until it is I would have no way to experiment.
Secondly, and more importantly, what would it sync to ? zimbra 7.2.4 is the latest I have run, and it has no Notes folder type. Perhaps one has been added in zimbra 8 but if it has I am not aware of it ?[/QUOTE]
The beta is available for download.. When using IMAP OSX and iOS creates a normal folder named Notes where it keeps them.
liverpoolfcfan
Elite member
Elite member

Post by liverpoolfcfan »

[quote user="Yaroze"]The beta is available for download.. When using IMAP OSX and iOS creates a normal folder named Notes where it keeps them.[/QUOTE]
So, it puts notes you wrote on the phone into an email folder. What about creating new notes/editing notes on the zimbra side. That will not work in a mail folder.