Z-Push Zimbra Backend (Push Email, Contacts, Appointments & Tasks)

Take your Zimbra with you!
Yaroze

Post by Yaroze »

[quote user="liverpoolfcfan"]So, it puts notes you wrote on the phone into an email folder. What about creating new notes/editing notes on the zimbra side. That will not work in a mail folder.[/QUOTE]
Depends on what client you use.. if you have for example a Mac and an iPhone it will work just fine. Just because Zimbra Web Client does not support this does not make it a bad feature.. It is quite handy. =)
drdre
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by drdre »

hrm.. i had to shutdown my servers due to a power issue and on restart .. i can receive email, but i can not send.. i am getting this error :
WBXMLEXception: Internal Server Error - code: 0

Request could not be processed correctly due to a wbxmlexception. Please report this...
hrm.. i am open to ideas
liverpoolfcfan
Elite member
Elite member

Post by liverpoolfcfan »

[quote user="drdre"]hrm.. i had to shutdown my servers due to a power issue and on restart .. i can receive email, but i can not send.. i am getting this error :
WBXMLEXception: Internal Server Error - code: 0

Request could not be processed correctly due to a wbxmlexception. Please report this... [/QUOTE]
Did you get it figured out? If not open a Support Ticket and I will try to help https://sourceforge.net/p/zimbrabackend ... rce=navbar
drdre
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by drdre »

Nope i havent gotten it to work yet.. and it really need it to be fixed... will open a support ticket
drdre
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by drdre »

hrm.. oddly enough its working now.. and not generating any errors.. this is so strange... didnt do anything to it.. just left it alone while i was doing research and it starts to work...
mofog

Post by mofog »

Hello everyone!
Thanks for the great work so far. Since this thread has grown quite long, I couldn't read all posts to find a possible answer to my question – sorry.
However, I managed to setup the most recent version of z-push and the ZimbraBackend. It works well so far, but I noticed that changes made in web UI, e.g., changing the title of a calendar item, are not immediately pushed to my iPhone. I have to trigger a manual refresh, for example by closing and re-opening the app. Doing the same in a Zarafa test environment pushes the changes instantly. Did I configure/setup something wrong? Or did I miss something in general? Thank you.
liverpoolfcfan
Elite member
Elite member

Post by liverpoolfcfan »

Assuming you have push enabled on the account, the change should get notified to the phone straight away. When it gets picked up is down to the phone.
If you use the command line z-push-top.php to monitor the connections to the server, you should see the ping/sync get cancelled immediately after the save is made in the Web client. You can watch for when the phone issues the next request to the server.
That being said, I have just been troubleshooting some erratic behaviour with another user who has a zimbra 8 installation, and we finally figured out the problem was being caused by the new DoSFilter added as a security mechanism in zimbra 8. When the z-push server was making multiple requests of the zimbra server in a short space of time, the zimbra server was treating it as suspicious behaviour, and throwing back a "Error 503 Service Unavailable" error. Whitelisting the IP address of the z-push server solved that problem.
For reference, see: DoSFilter - Zimbra :: Wiki
mofog

Post by mofog »

Thank you very much for the quick response!
[quote user="liverpoolfcfan"]Assuming you have push enabled on the account[/QUOTE]
How can I do that resp. how do I check on that?
[quote user="liverpoolfcfan"]If you use the command line z-push-top.php to monitor the connections to the server, you should see the ping/sync get cancelled immediately after the save is made in the Web client. You can watch for when the phone issues the next request to the server.[/QUOTE]
Thanks a lot! That helped me to find out that I was still missing some php packages on my OpenSUSE system. After installing these, everything worked fine – I feel a bit silly.
[quote user="liverpoolfcfan"]That being said, I have just been troubleshooting some erratic behaviour with another user who has a zimbra 8 installation, and we finally figured out the problem was being caused by the new DoSFilter added as a security mechanism in zimbra 8. When the z-push server was making multiple requests of the zimbra server in a short space of time, the zimbra server was treating it as suspicious behaviour, and throwing back a "Error 503 Service Unavailable" error. Whitelisting the IP address of the z-push server solved that problem. For reference, see: DoSFilter - Zimbra :: Wiki[/QUOTE]
Well, thanks for the hint, I added the ip of my z-push server to the whitelist. I think it would be nice to add this to the readme file.
One more question: I tried to do the same on a shared hosting site, which seems to be a bit tricky due to Alias directives, php packages, and other restraints. Could you provide any advice, e.g., link, on how to do that?
liverpoolfcfan
Elite member
Elite member

Post by liverpoolfcfan »

[quote user="mofog"]How can I do that resp. how do I check on that?[/quote]

I mean on the device - it is a setting on the account on the iPhone or Android phone - You pick push/as mail arrives - or you can pick 15mins/30mins/etc.
[quote]

Thanks a lot! That helped me to find out that I was still missing some php packages on my OpenSUSE system. After installing these, everything worked fine – I feel a bit silly.[/quote] no problem - happy you got it working
[quote]

Well, thanks for the hint, I added the ip of my z-push server to the whitelist. I think it would be nice to add this to the readme file.[/quote]

It has been added to my local copy and will be in the release notes/install notes for the next release. We only got to the bottom of the problem this morning.
[quote]

One more question: I tried to do the same on a shared hosting site, which seems to be a bit tricky due to Alias directives, php packages, and other restraints. Could you provide any advice, e.g., link, on how to do that?[/QUOTE] No idea on that one. Sorry.
mofog

Post by mofog »

Thanks a lot, I'm quite happy for now. Keep on the good work!