Zimbra Mobile Interface Sucks!

Take your Zimbra with you!
MCope

Post by MCope »

I have people using android systems that really need to use the Zimbra mobile interface. The problem is you can't add an attachment. REALLY!
Sure you can do it in other interface views. Who cares? I don't!
As it appears Zimbra developers are in love with MS, Apple and Blackberry. Android is a freakin linux system and far better than the other garbage out there.
So why is it taking Zimbra so long to get on the android side of things?
Would someone in Zimbra development give a reason as to why android is left out like a step child? Seriously! You waiting for the end of the world in 2012 so that can be the reason support is being left out.
Sorry for the rant. Now back to trying to figure out how to get a freakin app to allow attachments to be sent in an email.
Signed... One ticked off Admin!
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

You should go to bugzilla and search for the relevant bug/RFE and vote on what you find and fits your requirements.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
Klug
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: All of them

Post by Klug »

You can also upgrade to a much newer version of ZCS, with a much better mobile interface...
10424bofh
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by 10424bofh »

Ahm i guess youre wrong - zimbra uses activesync for android

so it should work
normaly those issues are problem with adnroid itself - man i could write a book about different android versions and different problems and behaviour with exchange sync
man even webdav has an issue with ssl if you tr yto upload

so first tell us please which version of android youre using

please the exact one incluiding whoch phone youre using and which kernel
you could also test if same problem occurs if you use the zimbrabackend with z-push (you can run both parallel just a new hostname for zpush)
i would suggest to make a zpush server in addition to the ne server anyway if you serisouly have use on mobilephones
not as a replacement but as a testingground and verifying problems it helps a lot belive me
MCope

Post by MCope »

It has nothing to do with the android device. It is all about the web interface. When you log into the web interface you can select the default, AJax or mobile whatever. It is the web mobile interface that does not allow you to attach a file.
This can be replicated on a PC or using any internet access from any browser.
So it makes no difference about it being an android. Make sense now?
Mike
10424bofh
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by 10424bofh »

allright allright missunderstood...

i see what you mean
but honestly why dont you use the native mailclient ?

YOu got NE anyway so you could do a a fullexchange sync (please use adnroid 2.3.4 minimum) including your contacts/calendar ...
or if you dont want that use imap mail which works well too on android

however i agree thats an flaw for anydevice BUT its not a non android thing as far i can see its the mobile interface by default not alowing attachments
you can switch the mobileview down below and you will see none of that mobile interfaces got any possibility to add attachments
but maybe im just blind but i look at it right now and cant see menue point ro so...
but to be honest i never use the webinterface on my droid thats why i fight so much with active sync

btw: you can also sync your files with a folder on your device - i got a phone folder in my zimbra with a mirror of my sdcard :)
MCope

Post by MCope »

Let me better explain why I am using the browser in mobile view.

First off I am the IT Administrator for everything in the company. One of the task is supporting the Samsung Galaxy Tablets in a Healthcare environment. I have over 326 of the devices the nurses use in the field.
The last thing I need is another task of setting up the mail client on each of the tablets. The tablets come and go as employees leave or new hires come in. They the nurses are a PIA to instruct them how to set up the mail client. So that leaves my staff and myselft setting up the tablets. For HIPAA regulations I want the user to connect through the browser only for security reasons.
That makes sure that if anyone steals or access the tablet illegally they can't get into the mail system. The best way to control access security to the mail is having to log in each time with a password.
I don't need the extra work of setting up the client and worry about security. Make sense?
I am currently looking into controlling the android devices using a vendor called AirWatch which will also help lock down the tablets for security purposes. But that is another can of worms and not the place to vent my frustrations about it.
My original post rant was about a bad day with things in general. If your IT and work in the Healthcare industry you probably understand how complex things can get with HIPAA regulations and the idiots that put regulations out without considerations to technology and limitations.
So back to my original problem.... I need the browser mobile view to be able to allow an attachment to the email. It is as simple as that. I can't and won't use the mail client for security reasons. Make sense to everyone now?
PS: Thanks for everyones response. I am just really tired of jumping over hurdles for simple things. :)
Mike
10424bofh
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by 10424bofh »

Ok first of all im not here to defend zimbra.

im the first who critisie a lot about it no question
also that attachments not possible by mobile thin client are not really acceptable true.
but a few things - first on tablets why dont you really use the regular or at least html interface - it fits better on a tablet anyway.

but ok ... whatever...
but just for the record - i strongly dissagree from security standpoint (and yes i got a few customers in healthcare)
First of all android do not fit really entriseneeds yet - so you cant lock down a tablet like you can do with windows by policies - still you cold make an own modded rom where user really cant do anydamage hell not even install market apps
this is a sec problem itself - without a custom rom not solveable.

so about websecurity - theres not really a difference between imap/exchange/webinterface access - people save their passwords in browser so if the device is lost its even easier to recover a webbrowser storedpassword than an exchangepassword
no matter which protocoll you use you can have your audit statistics for zimrba theres no real difference here
only that few mails are stored locally is a littl downside BUT

if you have exchangebound accounts you can wipe a device remotely

if someone dont know that and logsin firsttime on access he has a complete wiped device :)
so a real mobile solution would be more secure
i understand that deployemnt of 300 plus devices is a pain no question

without a real customisation hard todo - problem like this are the usual in bigger networks - lot of own development is needed so i understand that you preffer the easier webmethod
but still for the record the security argument isnt really there sorry :)
btw it could be done by an own app bit more easy but hell youre in a real trouble situation - to small to force a manufacturer bring out custom modded tablets to big for going the regular way
still android is sadly an consumer roducts hard to use in such enviroments

btw about security : if you need real security on android its needed to have rooted devices and an applicationfirewall on it - otherwise every market app is a possibel threat to your entire network - webdevice or not

these things beside zimbra,... i i where in your position i would cook my own rom lockout everything not needed for work and make an own app for easy config for sync
yea i know theoretical discussion :)
50asm

Post by 50asm »

[quote user="10424bofh"]
btw: you can also sync your files with a folder on your device - i got a phone folder in my zimbra with a mirror of my sdcard :)[/QUOTE]
That would be really handy! :D
Are you using briefcase? Would you please tell me how you set this up?
Thank you!