iPhone with iOS8+ gets 404 must authenticate error when opening attachments to email in web interface

Take your Zimbra with you!
klingk

iPhone with iOS8+ gets 404 must authenticate error when opening attachments to email in web interface

Post by klingk »

When using the web interface and trying to open a PDF attachment, I get an authentication error.
This only happens when I use a shortcut to Zimbra that is on my home screen.
It appears that it may use a separate Safari instance for that type of shortcut because it opens safari to open the attachment but the "normal" Safari session never authenticated, only the separate instance has so it's can't open the URL handed off for the attachment.

If I start Safari and log into the web interface, then the attachment opens in the same session and I can download the attachment.
I can't get users to understand this concept so to them it's "broken", not really a Zimbra issue, but an iOS issue.
Has nobody else run into this ?
Running 8.5.0.GA.3042.UNUBTU12.64
klingk

Post by klingk »

Worked with Apple support, and they gave me a bit of a workaround, but it fails after the authentication gets lost on the Safari app where the attachment is attempting to be opened.

They have left me with an option of working with their Enterprise support team, at $695 per incident, with no guarantee they can resolve it.

So I'm going to try some other options....

One of the things I noticed is that the attachment URL has auth=co which from the REST API indicates that it uses a cookie for authentication.

So it appears the cookies are not being shared by the "homescreen shortcut" session of Safari that and the "normal" Safari session.

It makes sense that the "different" Safari session wouldn't have a cookie to allow the authentication, but it seems that it would reduce the functionality of web apps when users choose to do nothing more than make a convenient shortcut.

I've seen some references that very long lived cookies are handled differently, so I'm going to check into the cookie expiration being assigned by Zimbra and see if there is any solution there.

Odd that nobody else has run into this....
rogerM

Post by rogerM »

I've got the same problem.

Specifically it seems to be with the Zimbra mobile client. Watching closely what happens when you tap on the attachment, Safari opens in a new instance, not the same instance as the mobile client. When you tap on the attachment, Safari opens as a window coming in from the right. If it was the same instance, you'd see Safari go through the process of opening a second window. Also, at the top of the new safari, there's a small

"back to Zimbra Web Client" link to take you back. If you open Safari and login to 'ajax' with the phone, then when you click on the attachment you see Safari open a new window for the attachment.
klingk

Post by klingk »

Just curios what version you are running, I think I saw a fix for this in the last release I just haven't installed it yet.....

Frustrating issue that seems like it would have been fixed.

Also, you are seeing this only when using a "homescreen shortcut" or does it happen even if you just open safari and navigate via bookmark or url to your Zimbra server ?

It's good not to be alone !
rogerM

Post by rogerM »

Latest 8.6 version. Seems to be just the homescreen shortcut. IF I just open safari and login, the attachments seem to work properly. I *think*, that when the icon is created on the desktop, Apple sandboxes that icon, or treats Safari like it's in kiosk mode or something. If you notice, the navigation buttons are not available from within the zimbra web client.
rogerM

Post by rogerM »

I opened a case with Zimbra. they haven't been able to reproduce the problem. Steps I take to reproduce it:

To reproduce:

1. make sure you are not logged in via safari. Open up safari, go to the mail server. If you see the login prompt, save a shortcut to the home screen.

2. exit out of safari.

3. using the icon on the home screen, login to zimbra.

4. click on an attachment. Safari opens up and displays the 404.

now,

5. using safari, log into Zimbra, click to remember.

6. exit out of safari, and using the home screen icon, log into zimbra.

7. now when you click the attachment, since you are logged into Zimbra via safari, safari opens and displays the attachment

Has anybody else seen this problem?