iPhone 6 does not sync calendar or contacts completely after server upgrade.

Take your Zimbra with you!
lightdude

Post by lightdude »

Greetings!
We have recently upgraded our Zimbra server from version 7.x.x to 8.6.0_GA_1169.NETWORK. Immediately following the upgrade all of our iPhone users stopped syncing with their accounts. These phones are all using ActiveSync. The fix for this was easy enough in that we simply turned off the syncing on the phones and then restarted it. This method completely restored all but one of the phones to working order. The last phone, however, is giving me some trouble. The phone is syncing all email without any problems. The calendar and contacts are only pulling in about half or less of what is showing in his account. Everything was syncing perfectly before the server upgrade, and our other iPhone users are syncing well after the upgrade. I am not sure where to begin troubleshooting this issue, so any suggestions would be welcome. This account is one of our busier accounts, so there are a lot of appointments and contacts to sync. It doesn't help my position that this account belongs to our President and CEO!  :-)
Thanks!
jorgedlcruz
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Post by jorgedlcruz »

Hi lightdude,

Can you try to remove the entire account and create it again? Are you checking in the Mail, Contacts, Calendars under Calendars then Sync mark All events.

Best regards
Jorge de la Cruz https://jorgedelacruz.es
Systems Engineer at Veeam Software https://www.veeam.com/
lightdude

Post by lightdude »

Hello, and thanks for the response.

We have removed the account from the phone a couple times and re-added it with no change. We have tried changing the length of time that the calendar will sync for, but this setting does not seem to do anything on either our iOS or Android phones. Zimbra syncs the entire calendar back to January 2013 no matter what the setting on the phone says. We have set this particular phone to sync "All Events" currently, with the result being the same subset of his Zimbra calendar being displayed. I discount this setting a little, since I have another iPhone of the same model syncing my own account, and mine is set to sync only "Events 2 Weeks Back" and I can see my own calendar back to Jan 2013 as well.

I spent about an hour watching the phone in question this morning and it seems as though the sync process is getting stuck somehow. I turned off the syncing of calendar and contacts and told the phone to delete all of those items from the phone. When I turned them back on the appointments started to trickle in, but the process was very slow. In the hour or so that I was able to watch the process the sync indicator never stopped displaying in the notification bar and the appointments would pop into the calendar every few minutes or so. This is a very large calendar so there are many appointments on each day of the week and only one or two were coming in at a time. About 30 minutes or so into the process there were no more appointments appearing on the calendar, but the sync indicator was still running. Something seems to be getting stuck, but I cannot find it.

Thanks!

Mark
philreynolds16

Post by philreynolds16 »

Did you ever get a fix for this? We are having same problem.
lightdude

Post by lightdude »

The issue for me ended up being a corrupted contact share. I logged in to the user account on the server and went to "Contacts" and this user had a couple of contact shares that had lines through them, showing that the share was no longer working. Once I deleted these disconnected contact shares the sync process began working again. It would seem that the iPhone syncs Mail, then Contacts, then Calendar in that order. The Mail sync'd just fine, the Contacts got stuck on the corrupted share and stopped the sync process, so the Calendar was never able to happen.

Hope this helps!

Mark
philreynolds16

Post by philreynolds16 »

bummer - After checking some of the troubled mailboxes, this does not seem to be the problem in our situation. I opened a support ticket. Always something with Zimbra...
maumar
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Re: iPhone 6 does not sync calendar or contacts completely after server upgrade.

Post by maumar »

Hello, I have a similar issue, very similar, befor opening a new thread, I would 'now if you were able to fix it with Zimbra NE Support.
This is the issue, it was posted on community at this link:
https://community.zimbra.com/collaborat ... /t/1141102:

Code: Select all

shared address books does not work with ZCS NE

Release 8.6.0_GA_1153.RHEL6_64_20141215151258 RHEL6_64 NETWORK edition, Patch 8.6.0_P5.

P5 installed on 17 December.

For many years, additional  Address book have worked on Iphone very well.

By a few weeks, they do not work any more. This is consequence of a Ios update, we argue, Hopefully not related to P5 installation.

I describe the issue

Using ZCS Network Ed.
create 2 new accounts, test1@example.com and test2@example.com
add a mail address to test1@example.com address book
share it with test2@example.com
Login into test2@example.com
Check that you can see shared test1@example.com mail address

Now configure test2@example.com on ipad:
you can't see test1@example.com shared mail address

Now configure test2@example.com on a android
you can't see test1@example.com shared mail address

Now, use Zcs OS
create 2 new accounts, test1@example.com and test2@example.com
add a mail address to test1@example.com address book
share it with test2@example.com

now, configure test2@example.com on ipad and android, you can see
test1@example.com shared mail address
on either

So: with Zcs NE it does not work, with ZCS OS, it does wok.
It was never answered, in the meantime I installed P6, but issue is still there.
Maybe I will open a ticket with support, but it's better to have it discussed here, isn't it?
Gren Elliot
Advanced member
Advanced member

Re: iPhone 6 does not sync calendar or contacts completely after server upgrade.

Post by Gren Elliot »

Which version of iOS software are you using?
Are you using ActiveSync or CardDAV?
maumar
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by maumar »

version of iOS software: the last one, they are very busy but the time to update ios sw to last rel is always available
if it is very relevant, I will ask

They use ActiveSync, no CarDav

zmcontrol -v
Release 8.6.0_GA_1153.RHEL6_64_20141215151258 RHEL6_64 NETWORK edition, Patch 8.6.0_P5.

uname -a
Linux zimbra.xxxxxx.com 2.6.32-504.1.3.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Nov 11 17:57:25 UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 6.6 (Final)