Android Sync fails in attachments

Take your Zimbra with you!
Mr.White

Post by Mr.White »

Is anyone else having a problem with Android devices and email attachments?
Once our hosting provider upgraded to 8.6.0_GA_1169 in 2015/04/27 we are now having a problem with email attachments. What happens is that when you try to sync in android it fails when the message you are getting has some attachments. After trying to do sync many times, you get the mail with the attachements correctly shown but NO MESSAGE text has shown, it appears in blank!!. No correlation between file type - sometimes a PDF/JPG etc is fine, but most of the times not (95%). We are using Android version: 4.1.2.
Anyone else having issues? Any ideas?
Thanks!
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

I'd suggest you try and resolve this problem with your hosting provider, we are not really able to provide support here - they'll probably need to look in their log files for errors. FWIW, I use an android (currently 5.x & previously various flavours of 4.x) phone and don't have any problems sending attachments through my server. What type of connection is this, an activesync one or IMAP? Are these large files? Is this over your mobile provider or a wifi connection? If it's over your mobile provider, does it work on wifi or is it the same problem?
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
Mr.White

Post by Mr.White »

Hi, Thanks for your answer. But I don't think its a problem with our hosting provider. I do not think it has expressed properly.

Here it is again:

Our Zimbra hosting mail provider is using Zimbra 8.6.0_GA_1169 (build 20150427101849) to which they upgraded recently; in the previous version we had no issues with our Android mail sync; immediately after the upgrade we began to experience the following issue with our Andoid phones and their native email app client when syncing our Zimbra server: when the message has image files (not with other files) the Android client is unable to load the body text of the message (comes as "blank"), though syncs and downloads well the attached images. When we open the source code on the Zimbra web client we made an amazing finding: the server tries to read the image files as "hexadecimal code" plain text, leading to a huge "body text" of many Mb, which obviously hooks up the Android client; here an example:

"------=_NextPart_001_0002_01D09788.371B5930--

------=_NextPart_000_0001_01D09788.37190F40

Content-Type: image/jpeg;

name="Frontal_26052015_1639.jpg"

Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

Content-Disposition: attachment;

filename="Frontal_26052015_1639.jpg"

/9j/4YwgRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAJAA8BAgAWAAAAhgAAABABAgAlAAAAsAAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAA

ABoBBQABAAAA2gAAABsBBQABAAAA4gAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAEZHAwABAAAA

AAAAAGmHBAABAAAAYkEAAF59AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABFQVNUTUFOIEtPREFLIENPTVBBTlkAAAAA

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABLT0RBSyBFQVNZU0hBUkUgTTEwNjMgRElHSVRBTCBDQU1FUkEAAAAA

AADgAQAAAQAAAOABAAABAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA... (note: goes on few Mb of code lines)"

We have reproduced this issue with different Android versions and also with other Android mobile email clients like MS Outlook app.

On the web client the issue happens the same, though the body text is properly displayed and loaded (but we don't see the above shown source code of the image file). However, on the mobile clients the app tries to load such huge amount of thousands of code lines belonging to the images data, hooking it up and making impossible to read the real body text of the message, though the files can be correctly synced and downloaded into the mobile.

Essentially seems the new Zimbra server version tries to "read" the images as text, and indeed achieves so, delivering the message with such huge amount of invisible lines of code; this is beared by the web email client but not by the mobile email clients.

The issue happens with messages including attached images from different sources: web forms, email providers, manually and authomatically sent, etc.

Thanks in advance.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="Mr.White"]Hi, Thanks for your answer. But I don't think its a problem with our hosting provider. I do not think it has expressed properly.[/quote]So the only thing that's changed is that your hosting provider has upgraded their version of Zimbra and prior to that your Android sync worked perfectly, is that what you're saying? If that's the case then you must contact your hosting provider for support, we are not allowed to provide that support in these forums. If there's a problem with Zimbra they will need to raise a support ticket.
You should not post duplicate threads on a topic when you already have one open, you should also not post "me too" replies in other threads.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
Mr.White

Post by Mr.White »

Hi, we have already opened a ticket with Zimbra cause they are our hosting mail provider and we are waiting for any response, meanwhile we are using this forums to know if there are companies having such problem to get closer to our problem and solution. I answer "me too", because its the answer they were wainting for in some threads, people with the same problem. But If I am confused on using this forum, I want to apologize. Thanks.