Inadequate attachment download options

A Forum to provide feedback, and report issues about Zimbra Desktop Beta or Release Candidate versions
william

Inadequate attachment download options

Post by william »

Zimbra desktop 7.3.0 beta build 13056

Downloading a single attachment:
(1) requires me to save the attachment and then go find it in my file system to open it
(2) no longer gives me the option of opening it in its default app
(3) no longer pops up the post-download dialog that allowed me to open the attachment or go to the file location, etc.

"Download all attachments" likewise requires me to save the zip file & go open it myself rather than opening the zip file for me allowing me to extract the attachments
PriteshGajjar
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Re: Inadequate attachment download options

Post by PriteshGajjar »

There is "Downloads" option on main page (Near View) and you should see list of all downloaded attachment and you can jump to appropriate location. See snapshot.
alex_rhys-hurn

Post by alex_rhys-hurn »

Hello,

I have the same complain as william.

The Downloads button on the Mail page does not offer any value to me, and I believe that zimbra desktop should not try to re-invent the wheel and should integrate with the desktop in terms of default apps. (I use Linux with Gnome).

I intensely dislike the PDF Viewer that ZD is now including, as my PC is set up with a better PDF Viewer with Touch controls as the default app.

Also when I click an attachment and then save it I am left with a new Zimbra window which is blank. What is this window?

Alex
PriteshGajjar
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by PriteshGajjar »

We have bug open with framework(NW.js) for point you mentioned related to blank window.

"Also when I click an attachment and then save it I am left with a new Zimbra window which is blank. What is this window?"
dzilupl

Post by dzilupl »

What about that what William and Axel wrote - will be there any option to choose what to do with attachment?? Saving everyone file to read it it's not good option.
PriteshGajjar
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by PriteshGajjar »

We have raised this issue with NW.js (framework which ZD uses), will update you.
JDKruse

Post by JDKruse »

I am running Zimbra Desktop 7.3 BETA on Windows 10 without any significant problems. However, this problem ("Inadequate attachment download options) has been an annoyance in previous versions of Zimbra Desktop (including all versions of 7.2 that I have downloaded and used). In some of the previous releases (I don't remember which), someone had determined that the mimeTypes.rdf file for a particular attachment type, could be updated (using a normal Edit program) to change the default action for a mimeType attahment back to the "prompt" action. This type of option, perhaps included as a Preferences option, would be a solution that I would support. Under Zimbra Desktop 7.3 BETA, I have accidently checked the "All future downloads" checkbox when downloading an Excel spreadsheet and would like to change the download behavior back to "Prompt" for Excel spreadsheet attachments, but I can't figure out how. This is very frustrating! And in my opinion, the Preferences tab would be a good place to add options for the user to correct a slipup on one previous attachment download. And a solution like this might be amenable to the other users on this particular problem chain.
lxonvts

Post by lxonvts »

alex_rhys-hurn wrote:Hello,
I have the same complain as william.

The Downloads button on the Mail page does not offer any value to me, and I believe that zimbra desktop should not try to re-invent the wheel and should integrate with the desktop in terms of default apps. (I use Linux with Gnome).
[...]
Alex
Ditto! I installed the just releases Zimbra Desktop 7.3.0 GA (build 13060) on Window 7 64-bit and the problem is still there: now I can't choose anymore between "open" (with the external Adobe Reader) or "save", as the previous version allowed. That sucks! Please provide a fix or a workaround.
ddedo

Post by ddedo »

I have exactly the same problem after updating to 7.3

Its very annoying and i cant imagine working with this solution.

there is no way to downgrade (sigh) so i'm considering uninstalling completely 7.3.

Just a question: if i uninstall the 7.3 version and install the 7.2 version, will i loose all my local folders or are they safe?

edit: I found a way to roll back to 7.2.8 GA, couse my work was impossible having to save all attachments. If this issue will be fixed please let me know, so i can update to 7.3 (again).
libratechie

Post by libratechie »

As of this week, my end users utilizing Zimbra Desktop updated to v7.3.0. Ever since then, they too have this same issue with attachments. No option other to download it to their system. Waiting to see what the resolution to this issue is before I rip it out and go back to an older version. Ridiculous....