7.3 Beta Systray

A Forum to provide feedback, and report issues about Zimbra Desktop Beta or Release Candidate versions
Y3K-Daniel

7.3 Beta Systray

Post by Y3K-Daniel »

So I got the 7.3.0 Beta update the a week ago and the most annoying thing is that it no longer puts itself in the systray, meaning everytime I hit 'X' it actually closes Zimbra Desktop rather than leaving it running in the systray.

I hope I am just missing a setting somewhere, if not can we get the systray functionality fixed?
In this instance I am on a laptop running Windows 7 (never will I install 8, 10 or newer, my other systems are Linux).

Other than that I have not come across any issues within my use of 7.3 and I like the fact that the bug where certain html emails would only partially show has been resolved!

Thanks,
Dan
PriteshGajjar
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Re: 7.3 Beta Systray

Post by PriteshGajjar »

Hello Dan,

Thanks for trying out beta and giving your feedback.

When you close ZD by clicking X(close) icon, it will terminate whole application. This was one of the requrest from few customers.
Now if you want app to run in background you can choose option of minimizing(I know with this app would be in task bar).

And yes you are right with 7.3.0 HTML rendering problem is 100% resolved and that's the main motive behind replacing web framework Prism by latest Nw.js framework.
Y3K-Daniel

Post by Y3K-Daniel »

Okay, but why change the systray behaviour unilaterally when it could have been implemented as an optional setting like many other programs.

I mean now I have the choice of:
1) Keep up to date with ZD and lose the systray feature, which means I have to take up space on my task bar to still get mail notifications
2) Stick with the old ZD and keep the systray feature, but break html emails again
3) Ditch ZD

So far the systray issue is a deal breaker for me and option 3 is becoming more enticing!
PriteshGajjar
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by PriteshGajjar »

Noted down this. We will have some solution to keep both options.
PriteshGajjar
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by PriteshGajjar »

There is configuration file localconfig.xml under AppData and one what want old behavior (keep ZD running in background) should turn off the following flag from .xml file.
<key name="zdesktop_quit_on_close">
<value>true</value>
</key>

This will come in 7.3 GA release. (Default value of above setting is true)
Y3K-Daniel

Post by Y3K-Daniel »

PriteshGajjar wrote:There is configuration file localconfig.xml under AppData and one what want old behavior (keep ZD running in background) should turn off the following flag from .xml file.
<value>true</value>
</key>

This will come in 7.3 GA release. (Default value of above setting is true)
Thank you for the response, it is great to hear this functionality is still going to be available.
I have tried this and it looks like it should work, but there is still a bug (it still quits).

I opened %LOCALAPPDATA%\Zimbra\Zimbra Desktop\conf\localconfig.xml
and inserted the following as per your post:

Code: Select all

<value>false</value>
  </key>
I then launched ZD and the systray icon is now back once it loaded, I then clicked the "X" and the window disappeared with the systray icon remaining, however after about 5 seconds the systray icon disappeared and ZD is no longer running.
PriteshGajjar
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by PriteshGajjar »

It's not fixed yet. This is how we are going to fix in 7.3 GA release. You are tryring it on beta one. GA is yet to release.