Universal UI Customizability/Skinnability

Forum about the new Universal UI work, feedback, ideas, comments are always welcome.
msquadrat
Advanced member
Advanced member

Universal UI Customizability/Skinnability

Post by msquadrat »

While I looked at the current Universal UI preview (the one installed from zcs-8.8.2_GA_1108.UBUNTU16_64.20170824043105.tgz) I noticed a few points regarding customizability. I'll lump them together in a single post here:

1. While the official documentation looks pretty outdated (https://files.zimbra.com/docs/skins/Themes.html) it was actually pretty simple for our frontend people to adopt the Zimbra UI to our customers CI by starting from the (IIRC) bare skin. Will there be an official documentation on how to customize the Universal UI as well?

2. Since the test version is a FOSS edition, I couldn't verify that changing logos via the zimbraSkinLogo* attributes still works. Will this still be possible? The logo sizes will probably change?

3. Most of the customizations boil down to changing the colors and sometimes setting a background image for the logon screen. There are already the four zimbraSkin{Foreground,Background,selection,Secondary}Color attributes but using those didn't result in an agreeable result for a long while now.

3a. It got worse with Universal UI, at least when it comes to the login screen. Eg if you set the ForegroundColor to white, you can't see the input. If you change the BackgroundColor, some odd parts (like text and the login progress bar) are actually colored. Try to set it to red to see what I mean.

3b. A feature request: It would be cool if these attributes would result in a nice base theming again plus if there were two attributes added to change the color of the blue top row and the grey toolbar. Plus maybe some additonal text colors. That would probably solve many simple customizations.
jorgedlcruz
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Re: Universal UI Customizability/Skinnability

Post by jorgedlcruz »

Hi msquadrat,
1.- Yes, we will write, or update, that Wiki, and we will let everyone know how to create new skins for Universal UI.
2.- That will work without an issue, the logo size is different now, yes.
3.- We are at the moment building the same theme combinations we had for 8.7 and below like carbon, etc, but using the Universal UI schema.
3a.- I will keep you updated once we have that colours combinations.
3b.- This is a great idea, I'm sending this feedback to the team, so maybe they can even go deeper with answers.

Best regards
Jorge de la Cruz https://jorgedelacruz.es
Systems Engineer at Veeam Software https://www.veeam.com/
msquadrat
Advanced member
Advanced member

Re: Universal UI Customizability/Skinnability

Post by msquadrat »

Hi Jorge,

that sounds good. Looking forward to the docs. if you need anything else, let me now.

Malte