Connecting to existing xmpp server?

All around Zimbra Chat, give us your feedback, questions and ideas
ExTechOp

Connecting to existing xmpp server?

Post by ExTechOp »

No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is a peece of the Continent, a part of the maine
— John Donne (1572-1631): Devotions Upon Emergent Occasions, 1624
It probably won't be a surprise that many Zimbra users already have an existing xmpp server, and so aren't interested in creating yet another closed chat system unconnected to the rest of the world.

One would presume that it would be possible to use the front-end nginx to redirect the incoming Zimlet xmpp connection to another xmpp server — is this is what the standalone Zimbra Chat server does? Or, does the Zimbra xmpp server that comes with Zimbra Collaboration 8.7.6 have server-to-server connection capabilities? It's kinda hard to tell, since the source links given are 404.

bud

Re: Connecting to existing xmpp server?

Post by bud »

Hello ExTechOp,
OpenChat Zimlet is designed to work with his own extension.
The Zimlet does not use XMPP to comunicate with the server extension. The communication uses its own JSON protocol over SOAP.
You can't use an external XMPP server (using nginx as You suggested).
OpenChat Server Extension for Zimbra 8.7.6 does not support any of server-to-server (federation) features.
ExTechOp

Post by ExTechOp »

bud wrote:OpenChat Zimlet is designed to work with his own extension.
The Zimlet does not use XMPP to comunicate with the server extension. The communication uses its own JSON protocol over SOAP.
You can't use an external XMPP server (using nginx as You suggested).
OpenChat Server Extension for Zimbra 8.7.6 does not support any of server-to-server (federation) features.
This unfortunately means it is pretty useless as it is, at least for us. We really don't need something that only connects to others who happen to use Zimbra mail web interface, we already have enough effectively closed proprietary chat systems. :cry: :cry: :cry:
jorgedlcruz
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Post by jorgedlcruz »

It's useless for your particular scenario, but useful for others without a XMPP server already.

Zimbra is open and you can always create a Zimlet which match your needs.

Best regards
Jorge de la Cruz https://jorgedelacruz.es
Systems Engineer at Veeam Software https://www.veeam.com/
schnuerleedv

Post by schnuerleedv »

Hi,

I was glad, that finally an xmpp chat in zimbra was integrated. But then I read the message above. My customer and I use a external xmpp server and I thought I can delete all the chat client software ... but this is still a dream.

Regards

Jochen
ExTechOp

Post by ExTechOp »

jorgedlcruz wrote:It's useless for your particular scenario, but useful for others without a XMPP server already.
Zimbra is open and you can always create a Zimlet which match your needs.
Unfortunately there don't currently seem to be any projects doing this. Converse is just a proof of concept and Starxpert only works with Jappix and is no longer being developed.

By the way, thanks for now making the sources available. Maybe they'll prove to be useful as stepping stones also for this project.
Blueberry

Post by Blueberry »

I can't believe this.

Is it still true that Zimbra's new XMPP chat is only accessible internally from ZWC ?
I was looking at configuring Zimbra proxies to have port 5222 exposed to the world. Is this even possible now ?

One of XMPP's best features is that anyone can start chatting with anyone else in the world by just adding his/her email address in his/her XMPP client (as far as his/her mail domain has the right _xmpp-client._tcp and _xmpp-server._tcp SRV records in DNS pointing to his/her the XMPP server).

If not possible, can we use the new zimbraReverseProxyXmppBosh... settings to have zimbra use another XMPP service ?

Regards,
Blueberry.