Display Chats folder without enabling Zimlet?

All around Zimbra Chat, give us your feedback, questions and ideas
cthart

Display Chats folder without enabling Zimlet?

Post by cthart »

Hi,

We're already using XMPP within our organization (ejabberd). Now we're interested in switching to Zimbra Chat as our users would like to have better chat history support. If I activate the Zimlet, a Chats folder becomes visible.

Is there any way to make this folder visible without activating the Zimlet? I note the folder's properties are all the same as for example the folder "Inbox", so there's nothing special about the folder itself.
In addition, chat messages are already being displayed in search results -- and the entire contents of the Chats folder can be displayed by searching for "in:chats". But you can't create a saved search called "Chats" because that name is reserved. I'm able to create a saved search called "Jabber" for example.

But it would be really nice if the Chats folder can be displayed without activating the in-browser chat client. At least at first, I would like our users to be able to keep using their existing Jabber clients.

Thanks,

Colin
scantec
Advanced member
Advanced member

Re: Display Chats folder without enabling Zimlet?

Post by scantec »

Don't know exactly what you are trying to do,

but you shoud consider this new on 8.8.8:

Zimbra Chat:
New history management: history is now stored in IM conversations instead of in emails within the Chats folder.
cthart

Post by cthart »

scantec wrote:Don't know exactly what you are trying to do,

but you shoud consider this new on 8.8.8:

Zimbra Chat:
New history management: history is now stored in IM conversations instead of in emails within the Chats folder.
Thanks, I missed that. What does the user interface look like? Does this mean that in version 8.8.8 it's completely impossible to see the chat history without activating the Chat Zimlet?

What we want to do is use Zimbra's jabber server but with our existing jabber clients, and only use the Zimbra webmail interface for reading chat history, when necessary. And all normal email stuff, of course.
scantec
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by scantec »

Any idea on how to make the chats folder visible?

The folder still exists on mailbox