Public Bugzilla replaced with Private Jira, first move to closed source ?

Whether you are a current user, former user, a Zimbra employee, or anyone with experience using any of our products, we welcome your feedback. Please include a specific product name and version when relevant.
manens

Public Bugzilla replaced with Private Jira, first move to closed source ?

Post by manens »

Hi Guys,

I am very concerned about the recent move of Zimbra to replace the public buzilla with Jira.

The problem I am facing is that we don't have acces to Jira and this is a really bad news for us and our customers.

Public Bugzilla allow us and our customers to :
* match an existing problem we have to an existing problem in the system
* add more informations for developpers to help to fix problems
* sometimes, publish quick fixes or work around
* understand and evaluate the impact of an update for the 120+ customers we have
* exchange with customers on problem we are facing, are they related to deployment or to Zimbra ? Bugzilla help for that.
* keep a list of known problems/rfe and be updated when there is moves

Recent relase annonce :
https://blog.zimbra.com/2017/02/zimbra- ... available/
Notice the ZCS-* items, no link.

So, if you too are concerned by this major regression, contact your sales representative to explain the problem.

If you think I'm wrong, let me know and show me the light.

Best regards,
Klug
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: All of them

Re: Public Bugzilla replaced with Private Jira, first move to closed source ?

Post by Klug »

/AOL mode on
Me too
/AOL mode off

I was about to reply to Jorge's mail with quite exactly what was said in the first post of this thread.

Public bugzilla has always been a great strength of zimbra (against other "closed" project and like open-source projects using github or any other public system) as we (either partners, VAR, customers or users) were able to see "what's going on".
This was very very good.

Hiding is bad.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

Klug wrote:/AOL mode on
Me too
/AOL mode off

I was about to reply to Jorge's mail with quite exactly what was said in the first post of this thread.

Public bugzilla has always been a great strength of zimbra (against other "closed" project and like open-source projects using github or any other public system) as we (either partners, VAR, customers or users) were able to see "what's going on".
This was very very good.

Hiding is bad.
I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiments in this thread and it's just another example on the part of Synacor/Zimbra of the total lack of understanding of what an Open Source project and Community actually is.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
jorgedlcruz
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Post by jorgedlcruz »

Hi guys,
Thank you for your comments.

You can reply here or on the email thread, I'm looking for strength to fix this situation, Synacor and Zimbra understand the issue and we are working on a solution

Best regards
Jorge de la Cruz https://jorgedelacruz.es
Systems Engineer at Veeam Software https://www.veeam.com/
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

jorgedlcruz wrote:Synacor and Zimbra understand the issue and we are working on a solution
Unfortunately that's been said many times with little evidence to the contrary. :(
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
jorgedlcruz
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Post by jorgedlcruz »

Well,
We have the code on git as usual you can downloads, view and build, prior to 8.7.2 for now
We have this new forums on phpbb
We contribute and attend the zetalliance calls and contribute to it
Bugzilla and Wiki are open to everyone same as zimbra.org extend

And the steps to move to github are in a good shape to announce it in March.

This topic is to discuss about the bugzilla issue we ALL are trying to fix :) can we try to stay positive and come with comments which helps the situation and help us ?

Thanks!
msquadrat
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by msquadrat »

Hi Jorge,

I concur with everything which was said before but I'll try to add some constructive remarks:

Synacor's current community (and partner and customer FWIW) communication sucks. It is great that you take part in the Zeta Alliance calls but not everybody has time to attend these and for the rest of us there is no real communication coming out of the public channels. It would help if useful information like this reply by John and the "Quick note about our git repository and our Open Source Code" wasn't buried in the depths of the forums or the end of a blog post. Some of us know from our inside sources that something will be announced on the Zimbra Commit event which will happen at the end of March in NYC but for which not even a date is available yet. Talk to us! Write about your plans and what you're working on! I know your devs are working on some great stuff but without that inside knowledge all what happens right now makes you look like you're closing down Zimbra and (sorry) use the Zeta Alliance as a fig leaf to calm down people.

For the Bugzilla solutions:

1. Please please please make sure the information in Bugzilla will stay around.

2. If you want to go with Jira, open it up. I don't know what I should suggest here; Atlassian hands out free licenses for Open Source Projects. It will probably be a bit cumbersome for your devs to work in two Jira instances but, well.

P.S.: The mail subscription feature of the blog stopped working some months ago.
jorgedlcruz
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Post by jorgedlcruz »

Hi guys,
The Release Notes includes now the bugzilla tickets: We will keep using Bugzilla as usual for Customers/Partners/Community, we are working on an automated way to pass the comments from the developers on JIRA to Bugzilla, meanwhile it will be manual but the most important news is we will keep using bugzilla!

We are also about to complete the migration to github, and we are planning that integration between the ticketing from github and bugzilla too.

Please give us a few weeks, we are working on everything, keep the bugzillas coming!
Erynn

Post by Erynn »

Chiming in here on what we're doing with Bugzilla and Jira inside Synacor. The Synacor engineering team uses Jira; Zimbra uses Bugzilla. We recently made a call to dedicate resources within each scrum planning session to tackle Zimbra bugs, and through the end of June (and maybe longer- we'll look at extending this come June) we'll be taking a percentage of our overall resources and specifically tackling bugs. The bugs we're tackling will come off Bugzilla, and to get them pulled into the sprint planning we're translating these from Bugzilla to Jira. Jorge is then doing the work (Thanks, Jorge!) of translating the Jira ticket numbers back to their corresponding Bugzilla issues. The intent is to preserve Bugzilla.
L. Mark Stone
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: 10.0.6 Network Edition

Post by L. Mark Stone »

Erynn wrote:Chiming in here on what we're doing with Bugzilla and Jira inside Synacor. The Synacor engineering team uses Jira; Zimbra uses Bugzilla. We recently made a call to dedicate resources within each scrum planning session to tackle Zimbra bugs, and through the end of June (and maybe longer- we'll look at extending this come June) we'll be taking a percentage of our overall resources and specifically tackling bugs. The bugs we're tackling will come off Bugzilla, and to get them pulled into the sprint planning we're translating these from Bugzilla to Jira. Jorge is then doing the work (Thanks, Jorge!) of translating the Jira ticket numbers back to their corresponding Bugzilla issues. The intent is to preserve Bugzilla.
Hi Erynn and nice to see you on the forums! Thanks for participating.

For those who don't know, Erynn Petersen is the VP Email & Collaboration at Synacor. Essentially, she is the Zimbra Product Manager as I understand it.

Best regards to all,
Mark