Zimbra Debian Support

Official Zimbra news, events, releases, and updates.
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Zimbra Debian Support

Post by 14319KevinH »

[quote user="tof"]As a note, the installer needs the package "perl-modules", which is not installed by default on debian sarge.[/QUOTE]
Did the install warn you? Or did you get an error at some point?
9149lee

Zimbra Debian Support

Post by 9149lee »

[quote user="pcatiprodotnet"]>And how is it possible that after all the votes for Debian, the only forum traffic about the debian build is that it doesn't work on Ubuntu?
Most Debian users prefer Ubuntu (it is a Debian distro).

In fact, I too came to this board to see if Zimbra was working on Ubuntu yet. And, to see if it had gained iODBC support for authentication.
-pc[/QUOTE]
If you ask a Ubuntu user if they prefer Debian, they will obviously say they do not. Sheesh! Have you ever ran Debian for real? /me goes back to reading this thread for something meaningful.
tof

Zimbra Debian Support

Post by tof »

[quote user="14319KevinH"]Did the install warn you? Or did you get an error at some point?[/QUOTE]
No, the install didn't warn.

The perl script exits, and I couldn't restart the installation properly even after installing the perl-modules package.
I did restart from scratch (thanx vmware), installing perl-modules *before* the installation script, and it worked like a charm -> good work people :)
9149lee

Zimbra Debian Support

Post by 9149lee »

Installed on a stable system with a 1.3 ghz Athlon XP and a gig of RAM. Eats a lot of CPU but works great. Zimbra is the new black. I documented my installation .
dzed

Zimbra Debian Support

Post by dzed »

Hello,
Install suceed but at the end i have an error :

----

Initializing ldap...FAILED (256)

ERROR

----
Any help will be very appreciate
[EDIT: install complain in postinst of zimbra-core about /opt/zimbra/bin/zimbra, i have replace this with /opt/zimbra/libexec/zimbra and rebuild the package, same thing with /opt/zimbra/bin/get_plat_tag.sh in /opt/zimbra/bin/zmsyslogsetup replaced with /opt/zimbra/libexec/get_plat_tag.sh ]

[EDIT: I use zcs-3.0.1_GA_197.DEBIAN3.1.tgz]
marcmac
Elite member
Elite member

Zimbra Debian Support

Post by marcmac »

Try typing the error message into the forum search. Or checking the wiki. It's probably the most talked about error on the site.
dzed

Zimbra Debian Support

Post by dzed »

Ok, sorry for my mistake.
[I have already done a search with "FAILED 256" but only on this Announcements]
jonnyRo
Advanced member
Advanced member

Zimbra Debian Support

Post by jonnyRo »

Personally i'm running on Centos 4.2, but given the choice I probably would have used debian. While i'm interested in running it, it doesnt mean that i'll ever switch this installation without having serious problems with the Centos setup.
Thanks for keeping debian on your minds though. I'm far more competant at administrating debian than CentOS.
urbanX

Zimbra Debian Support

Post by urbanX »

ok, i'll bite.
i'm new to zimbra, but the existence of debs seemed to make it simple enough to evaluate while i'm looking for a decent webmail system. however, it no work.
i'm running debian testing (etch) on x86.
here's as far as i get:
Press Return to continue
Checking for prerequisites...

NPTL...FOUND

sudo...MISSING

libidn...MISSING

curl...MISSING

fetchmail...MISSING

gmp...MISSING
###ERROR###
One or more prerequisite packages are missing.

Please install them before running this installer.
Installation cancelled.

sudo is installed, libidn11 and libnet-libidn-perl are installed, curl is installed, fetchmail is installed, libgmp3c2 and libgmp3-dev are installed.
if i attempt to "dpkg -i zimbra-core_3.1.0_GA_260.DEBIAN3.1_i386.deb", it cries about libgmp3 not being installed.
should i take this as a package naming/version issue and attempt to force the packages to install?
d.
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Zimbra Debian Support

Post by 14319KevinH »

[quote user="urbanX"]i'm running debian testing (etch) on x86.[/QUOTE]
The current build doesn't support 64bit. You'll have to build from source.