VMWare & Zimbra (only slightly o/t)

Official Zimbra news, events, releases, and updates.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

For anyone who wants to try Zimbra without installing it on their current live system you can now get VMWare Server completely free (and legally). :eek:
VMWare have made VMWare Server free and it can be downloaded here. You can even get a copy of a prebuilt Linux system from Red Hat, Novell & Ubuntu - very handy for testing Zimbra. Be aware that this type of configuration will strain the resources of any PC but if you have a fast PC, plenty of disk space and lots of RAM it is useful for testing.
There's also a range of community built Virtual Machines available here You should also be aware that this is a beta program and as far as I can see there's no catches - if you find any please point them out. ;)
Please note that there's currently a problem getting these downloads, on the registration page you must enter a US State and a zip code (even if you're outside the USA) to be able to register correctly and allow you to login. The wonders of modern technology, hey? :confused:
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
mjfleck2000
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by mjfleck2000 »

The VMware site is very slow right now.(slashdot effect?)
I registered but did not download. The registration process takes you through the expected legal terms which said that it was free during the beta process.
Do you know if this is a "Free" version(you don't pay now or ever), or a free "Beta" version(free until it goes gold)?
Mike
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

This is a free as in 'beer' not just while it's in beta. It will (according to the gossip) replace the VMWare GSX server when it goes gold in the 2nd quarter of this year and will remain free.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
PAI

Post by PAI »

For anyone that is using vmware to run your zimbra box, you may experience some problems with your virtual machines clock gaining time anywhere between 20% to 40% faster than real time, there is a remedy for that through a pretty simple hack.

I don't take any responsibility for potential damage resulting from using this information.

It worked well for me, I hope it works well for you if you have similar problems.
My system is a Athlon 64 3400+ 2gb with a 64bit CentOS 4.2 host and zimbra is on a 32bit CentOS 4.2 guest. It is rock solid after this work around and I have absolutely no problems whatsoever with performance.
1.) setup vmware tools on your guest OS

2.) On the Host OS: go into the .vmx file for your virtual server and insert

tools.syncTime = "TRUE"

This does not help with the speed up, but it will keep the clock right if it falls behind.

3.) On the Host: We are now artifically going to slow down the virtual systems clock. The reason I found for the speed up on my system was that vmware thought my processor was slower than it really is due to the CPU 'slowing' itself in power saving mode and misreporting its speed(right now its shows its MHZ at 1004.598 rather than ~2400). So when the CPU exits power saving mode it results in time elapsing MUCH faster (I gained 2 days in 1 night). VMware-tools does NOT correct for this, it only corrects forwards.

So we are going to go into the /etc/vmware directory and edit the file config with your favorite editor, now add a line

host.cpukHz="2401000"

Where the number is just slightly above your CPUs mHz (or rather kHz)

4.) Also in the grub options (/etc/grub/grub.conf) add clock=pit

example: kernel /bzImage-2.6.9 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 clock=pit

5.) your virtual system clock will now run a couple of seconds slow each day, but VMware-tools will detect this and sync the clock to the real system clock. Problem solved.

I hope you find this helpful, it took me a couple of hours to get all the information together from seperate sources such as news groups and the vmware forum, so I figured I'd summarize this quick and dirty guide for fellow zimbra users.
667kman

Post by 667kman »

Another option would be to run the ntpdate command via an hourly cron to keep the date/time in sync.
That's what I'm doing on my CentOS 4.2/Zimbra VM setup. Seems to work fine for me.
PAI

Post by PAI »

[quote user="667kman"]Another option would be to run the ntpdate command via an hourly cron to keep the date/time in sync.
That's what I'm doing on my CentOS 4.2/Zimbra VM setup. Seems to work fine for me.[/QUOTE]
I considered that, but my boss was complaining about his email arriving with receivable dates future when we just did the time update. Otherwise I like your solution a lot better, it just wasn't an option with keeping somewhat accurate logs and timestamps on email.
hootjr29

Post by hootjr29 »

yup. I've had mine up and running in Fedora Core 4 for about a week now and its running on my home workstation with no problem.
11440mpaine

Post by 11440mpaine »

Any ETA when FC5 version of 3.01 vmware image will be available? :)
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by 14319KevinH »

[quote user="11440mpaine"]Any ETA when FC5 version of 3.01 vmware image will be available? :)[/QUOTE]
Nope. FC5 is not even started yet so it will be sometime before we generate it on VMWare.