New developer builds

Official Zimbra news, events, releases, and updates.
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

New developer builds

Post by 14319KevinH »

Just pushed new developer builds for all the platforms. Lots of little fixes and updates from the past 2 weeks. These builds have had little/no QA and are not an *official* release. We are running it as our internal mail currently.
The *big* change in this release is a new IMAP implementation based on Java NIO. This no longer requires 1 thread per connection. It also re-enabled IMAP IDLE which makes push email to mobile clients much faster.
IMAP NIO is off by default. To enable it please run:
$ tomcat stop

$ zmlocalconfig -e nio_imap_enable=true

$ tomcat start
Please let us know if you see any problems with this new IMAP impl.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

New developer builds

Post by phoenix »

Another flawless upgrade, well done. :)
It seems to be a bit more snappy for response in the UI using FF, I guess there's some performance enhancements in there?
I've enabled IMAP NIO on my server, just out of interest what benefit does it give? The Mail Queue statistics look interesting in the Admin UI, will that be fully implemented in the next official release?
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

New developer builds

Post by 14319KevinH »

Yes the server has a few tweaks to speed up conversation loading and some popular queries(is:unread). We are always trying to find ways to cache and speed up the JS code. So you'll see fixes to that in most releases.
NIO removes the limitation that the current IMAP has which every connection takes it's own thread. Using NIO we now can handle multiple connections in a single thread. So for huge deployments 100's or 1000's of users will see much better memory usage (ie less). If you've only got a 10's of user's you may not see a huge difference. Of course the fact that IMAP IDLE is now back on.
NOTE: It seems under certain cases the new code will still lock-up with IMAP IDLE. We are looking at that now.
jholder
Ambassador
Ambassador

New developer builds

Post by jholder »

I noticed that you mentioned that there might be some bugs in the code that causes freezing.
Any updates?
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

New developer builds

Post by 14319KevinH »

It appears to be a rare case, again related to IMAP idle. If your worried about it just leave NIO off. It will be fixed in the next build.
RyecoAaron
Advanced member
Advanced member

New developer builds

Post by RyecoAaron »

Is the FC4 version missing the zmstatuslog, zmdisklog, and zmqueuelog files? I didn't have time to download another version to check but I was getting error emails saying they were missing. They are also being emailed to zimbra@mydomain.com account (which doesn't exist). I copied them from a backup (ga 160) and everything seems to be ok now.
marcmac
Elite member
Elite member

New developer builds

Post by marcmac »

Probably a bug - check the crontab, which is probably looking for them in /opt/zimbra/bin, and change that to libexec, which is where they should now be.
RyecoAaron
Advanced member
Advanced member

New developer builds

Post by RyecoAaron »

[quote user="marcmac"]Probably a bug - check the crontab, which is probably looking for them in /opt/zimbra/bin, and change that to libexec, which is where they should now be.[/QUOTE]

That's what it was and the files were in libexec. All good now :) Thanks