Vote: Hot Backups for FOSS?

Official Zimbra news, events, releases, and updates.
jholder
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by jholder »

We've been pondering something, and would like your input. At Zimbra, it's important to us that your data is safe, regardless of edition.
If you're an Open Source Edition user, would you consider purchasing the hot backup module as a separate add on? Live/Hot Backup and Restore.
Yes or No
If Yes, please indicate the price you'd think it would be worth. Make us a deal :) This doesn't include support.
Also, please indicate the following when posting:
1. How many users do you have on your Zimbra server? (1-2, 3-10, 11-24, 25-50, 50-100)

2. Region? Americas/EMEA/APAC

3. OS? Redhat/SUSE/Ubuntu/Mac OS X/Fedora/Debian/CentOS/Other:_____

4. How important is support? Very Important/Important/Not Important

5. Would you consider licensing Zimbra Network Edition instead? Yes/No

6. Any questions, comments, suggestions
If you do not wish to post the above information, you can also e-mail it to feedback@zimbra.com
9228spirit

Post by 9228spirit »

1. How many users do you have on your Zimbra server? 4000

2. Region? EUROPE

3. OS? Debian Etch

4. How important is support? Not Important

5. Would you consider licensing Zimbra Network Edition instead? No
price : 0,5€ by mailbox
JoshuaPrismon
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by JoshuaPrismon »

A thousand times yes. I had a small OEM license, and I uninstalled it earlier this week because I needed more users. My site is around 15 users. A flat fee of $150 seems reasonable for the software.
JoshuaPrismon
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by JoshuaPrismon »

[quote user="JoshuaPrismon"]A thousand times yes. I had a small OEM license, and I uninstalled it earlier this week because I needed more users. My site is around 15 users. A flat fee of $150 seems reasonable for the software.[/QUOTE]
1) 11-24

2) Americas.

3) CENTOS

4) Not important

5) No. I just finished evaluating NE, and decided that OSS was sufficent for my needs. The only thing that made me think twice about keeping NE was the backup support. But I have 15 users, none of them paying, and it's a enthusiast server, so I can't afford it.
meikka

Post by meikka »

1. How many users do you have on your Zimbra server? 500+ in 4 servers

2. Region? EMEA

3. OS? Fedora/CentOS

4. How important is support? Not Important

5. Would you consider licensing Zimbra Network Edition instead? No

6. Any questions, comments, suggestions Limited backup should be included, full backup with price
Podilarius

Post by Podilarius »

Backup is a tool that should be included. I consider this a basic function. Which mysql already has a hot tool called mysqldump. combine that with a script and you are good.
Sorry ...
fisch09
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by fisch09 »

[quote user="Podilarius"]Backup is a tool that should be included. I consider this a basic function. Which mysql already has a hot tool called mysqldump. combine that with a script and you are good.
Sorry ...[/QUOTE]
Do you have a WORKING hot backup solution for FOSS???? Have you tried a restore? Does it work on a per mailbox basis?
BTW: I don't expect to get a per mailbox backup/restore for cheap money - if I really need this I buy NE. But having a hot backup for DR should be part of FOSS. My budget for a hot backup for the whole server would be 50$ per year.
Cheers

Andre
Podilarius

Post by Podilarius »

[quote user="fisch09"]Do you have a WORKING hot backup solution for FOSS???? Have you tried a restore? Does it work on a per mailbox basis?
BTW: I don't expect to get a per mailbox backup/restore for cheap money - if I really need this I buy NE. But having a hot backup for DR should be part of FOSS. My budget for a hot backup for the whole server would be 50$ per year.
Cheers

Andre[/QUOTE]
Sorry, No, I am not actively working on one. Passively maybe. My Zimbra is not the final destination of my email. All I need is a snapshot once fully configured and working.
uxbod
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by uxbod »

1. How many users do you have on your Zimbra server? 2

2. Region? Europe

3. OS? CentOS

4. How important is support? Not important as the community is great

5. Would you consider licensing Zimbra Network Edition instead? No, but purely down to what is offers over the FOSS version

6. Would be willing to pay $150 per year, especially if the hot backup could automatically write it to another server for storage
vginders

Post by vginders »

1. How many users do you have on your Zimbra server?

$$ Depending on the customer womewhere between 2 and 50

2. Region? Americas/EMEA/APAC

$$ Europe

3. OS? Redhat/SUSE/Ubuntu/Mac OS X/Fedora/Debian/CentOS/Other:_____

$$ Ubuntu/Debian

4. How important is support? Very Important/Important/Not Important

$$ Important but not needed often. I'd be willing to pay a fee on a per incident basis, like one can do with Microsoft for say 100 Euro - 150$

5. Would you consider licensing Zimbra Network Edition instead? Yes/No

$$ NO

6. Any questions, comments, suggestions

$$ NE is TOO pricy for small shops like my customers, a full MS SBS setup is cheaper for 5 users or comparable in price for more users, buthen you get the full SBS package also.
A hot backup functionality would be very much appreciated for the OSS edition.