Vote: Hot Backups for FOSS?

Official Zimbra news, events, releases, and updates.
dwmtractor
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by dwmtractor »

In my case OTHER NE features would be more desirable as add-ons than hot backup; with the relatively small installation we run, a cold backup only takes the system down for
But to your questions:
1. How many users do you have on your Zimbra server? 35

2. Region? Americas - U.S.

3. OS? Ubuntu

4. How important is support? For FOSS, forum-based support is sufficient, and better than paid support in some other products I could name! :p

5. Would you consider licensing Zimbra Network Edition instead? Probably not at our size. In a larger enterprise with a real I.T. budget it'd be a no-brainer
I would say that at the small-business size, a price of around $150 would be about right. I disagree with those who say it shouldn't be correlated to user base, as the larger number of users, the more clear the ROI for hot backup (and mailbox-based backup/restore) would become. I think a price of somewhere around (#users X $5 to $10) for an installation and upgrades for 2 years (renewable at an equivalent price) would be a reasonable figure.
Dan
jholder
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by jholder »

Only 45 votes?
Hopefully everyone's voting! If we don't see much interest from the FOSS community, we probably won't peruse it.
Rock the Vote! Tell your friends who are FOSS users!
-john
12237Dirk
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by 12237Dirk »

I'd say that offering the backup function to OSS would be an increadible boost to the functionality of Zimbra. There are a great many small installations out there that would love this.*
(* OK, I'm basing this on nothing more than gut instinct, but I guess that's part of the reason Mr JHolder has posted this poll !)
For intallations of two or three users, a network edition license or a hosted deal may not be viable, but a good way to backup the data may well be something to put your hand in your wallet for. How much would I pay? Hard to say, I'm really cheap! I think it would depend on weather it was a one off charge or a yearly license.
Even if it was a one off fee though, for home use I dont think I'd pay much more than $20 per mailbox, but like I say, I'm really cheap !
fabioedon

Post by fabioedon »

1. How many users do you have on your Zimbra server? 6000+

2. Region? America - Brazil

3. OS? CentOS 5

4. How important is support? Not Important

5. Would you consider licensing Zimbra Network Edition instead? No
price : US$5 by mailbox in one-time per server.
dljordaneku
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by dljordaneku »

[QUOTE]1. How many users do you have on your Zimbra server? (1-2, 3-10, 11-24, 25-50, 50-100)

2. Region? Americas/EMEA/APAC

3. OS? Redhat/SUSE/Ubuntu/Mac OS X/Fedora/Debian/CentOS/Other:_____

4. How important is support? Very Important/Important/Not Important

5. Would you consider licensing Zimbra Network Edition instead? Yes/No

6. Any questions, comments, suggestions[/QUOTE]
1. a little over 300

2. Americas

3. Fedora 7

4. Important. Like it's been said the forum are great but it's always good to have some experienced help. Especially when you are just learning Linux. :eek:

5. We have priced the NE but it's a bit much for us right now. We would like to have it for the Blackberry server and get rid of our Exchange once and for all.
On a side note, for folks using the OSS, if you haven't voted. Go ahead and vote one way or another. This will show Zimbra that we appreciate the work they do for us :)
dj
danfluidmind

Post by danfluidmind »

[quote user="jholder"]If you're an Open Source Edition user, would you consider purchasing the hot backup module as a separate add on?[/QUOTE]
Yes, for a personal mail server (non-commercial, just for myself and family/friends) I'd pay around $100 to $150 for the hot-backup module. It would just be an awfully nice feature to have, even for a personal server.
The other thing I'd pay for would be the ability to seamlessly use iCal and the iPhone with Zimbra.
For a business, I'd just go ahead and buy the NE. Cost of doing business.
1. How many users do you have on your Zimbra server? 14

2. Region? Americas (US)

3. OS? Ubuntu

4. How important is support? Not Important for personal server

5. Would you consider licensing Zimbra Network Edition instead? Not for my personal server. Definitely for a business server.
ejulson

Post by ejulson »

Yes, I'd be willing to pay $250 per server or $5 per user for a persistent license.
1. How many users do you have on your Zimbra server? ~50

2. Region? Americas

3. OS? Ubuntu

4. How important is support? Not Important (forums would suffice for this module)

5. Would you consider licensing Zimbra Network Edition instead? Possibly, depending on the cost of this module.

6. Any questions, comments, suggestions? I would much prefer to buy the NE w/o support and use a pay-per-incident model for support.
rajahd
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by rajahd »

[quote user="dwmtractor"]In my case OTHER NE features would be more desirable as add-ons than hot backup; with the relatively small installation we run, a cold backup only takes the system down for
I'm with Dan on this one. Mobile access is the only feature in NE that would entice us to pay vs open-source and even then we only have select users that need it, making NE far too expensive for us currently. Even with our 45 users the downtime for a backup is under 20 minutes in the wee hours of the morning and more than acceptable.
1. How many users do you have on your Zimbra server? 45

2. Region? United States

3. OS? Ubuntu

4. How important is support? It's very important and I'm glad that the Zimbra community is so good.

5. Would you consider licensing Zimbra Network Edition instead? Our needs and funds just don't support NE at it's current costs.
neilmc

Post by neilmc »

1. 25-50

2. Oceania

3. Centos, Debian or Ubuntu (on Centos but can easily change)

4. Not important

5. No
neilmc

Post by neilmc »

[quote user="jholder"]Only 45 votes?
Hopefully everyone's voting! If we don't see much interest from the FOSS community, we probably won't peruse it.
Rock the Vote! Tell your friends who are FOSS users!
-john[/QUOTE]
Could be some laziness in play.
950 views and 62 votes :)
I almost didn't vote until I saw your post and then pondered for a while whether I could remember my forum password..........