What things I would love to see in this community

Industry info, happenings near you, and new product integrations. Hosting an event? Invite people here.
pup_seba
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by pup_seba »

Hi,
I really like to be part (a small part) of this community. Being using it for a while and as a community member of other communities, here are some thoughts:
- The integration with Tapatalk is great

- There is good amount of Moderators and Zimbra personal working hard in answering questions in this community and that's really awesome
Some things I would like to be changed/included:
- The way VMware community organizes the thread is kind of cool. You can just see all kinds of questions on the main page and IF you want, you can see specific subjects. That's a good thing for me as it lets me browse new or unanswered questions in an easier way. Making it simpler to participate in all of the ones I feel I can help.
- Gamification is one thing that's cool. It is something that for some people works in a way that make them more active in communities.
- Being able to mark a question/post as "answered" and to see which in all of the replies was the right answer, is a great way to further improve things.
- One thing that I don't like at all, is when people who makes a question, don't even answer to the help provided. This happens A LOT in VMware community so people that likes gamification and being awarded points for their answers, gets dissapointed when after providing a valid answer, the thread is still marked as unanswered and no feedback is provided. I can not think of a good way to avoid this, but not having hundreds of "unanswered" threads would be nice.
- Sometimes, when I'm looking for answeres or subjects in this community, I found lots of threads replied with things like "this is already covered in other threads. Did you do some research before posting?". Beside the fact I found that kind of answer rude, it really makes the use of this community more harder as there is no link to that "already covered thread". So when I'm looking for something...4 of 5 threads are the ones with lines like these which are no help at all! At least they should be erase or something if no further comments are made from the person who started the thread.
And that's it. Just some constructive feedback of one of this community users. Hope this is usefull information :)
Best regards,

Sebas
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="pup_seba"]I really like to be part (a small part) of this community.[/QUOTE]Active participation by Community members is always appreciated and encouraged.
[quote user="pup_seba"]- The way VMware community organizes the thread is kind of cool.[/QUOTE]VMware has nothing to do with these forums, in effect the forums have always been the same and run by Zimbra even when VMware (and Yahoo) owned Zimbra. I wouldn't get too attached to the forums in their current as they will most likely be moving to the Telligent Community platform at some time in the future.
[quote user="pup_seba"]- Gamification is one thing that's cool.[/QUOTE]What's "Gamification"?
[quote user="pup_seba"]- One thing that I don't like at all, is when people who makes a question, don't even answer to the help provided. This happens A LOT in VMware community so people that likes gamification and being awarded points for their answers, gets dissapointed when after providing a valid answer, the thread is still marked as unanswered and no feedback is provided. I can not think of a good way to avoid this, but not having hundreds of "unanswered" threads would be nice.[/QUOTE]I'm not particularly keen on "points" for giving answers on any forum, the best reason for answering questions is because you want to not for 'rewards' (although something similar exists on these forums. As you've already mentioned, you can't force people to give feedback on any provided answer and it will always be like that. You'll also notice that the same problem exists on the Telligent Community platform, although they have a system of "Verified Answers" there are many posts and threads that do not get replies or feedback for an answer.
[quote user="pup_seba"]- Sometimes, when I'm looking for answeres or subjects in this community, I found lots of threads replied with things like "this is already covered in other threads. Did you do some research before posting?".[/QUOTE]The reason for asking that question is to determine what the poster has done before asking the question and what they already know about the problem otherwise we waste our time going over ground that's already been covered. Many of the questions that are asked on these forums (and many others) have already been asked and answered, does the post have any responsibility for doing research before posting a question?
[quote user="pup_seba"] Beside the fact I found that kind of answer rude, it really makes the use of this community more harder as there is no link to that "already covered thread".[/QUOTE]Can you tell me why someone who replies to a thread should go searching through the forums for the specific thread or post that has the answer? I, for one, don't have the time to do research for every question on these forums and despite the hours I spend here I have a life outside these forums that takes priority, don't you?
[quote user="pup_seba"] So when I'm looking for something...4 of 5 threads are the ones with lines like these which are no help at all! At least they should be erase or something if no further comments are made from the person who started the thread.[/QUOTE]Nothing gets erased (apart from spam and the rare personal or abusive comments) from the forums, that's called censorship.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
pup_seba
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by pup_seba »

[quote user="10330phoenix"]Active participation by Community members is always appreciated and encouraged.

:)
VMware has nothing to do with these forums, in effect the forums have always been the same and run by Zimbra even when VMware (and Yahoo) owned Zimbra. I wouldn't get too attached to the forums in their current as they will most likely be moving to the Telligent Community platform at some time in the future.

Ok!
What's "Gamification"?

[url=Gamification - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/url] > By definition: "Gamification is the use of game thinking and game mechanics in non-game contexts to engage users in solving problems."
I'm not particularly keen on "points" for giving answers on any forum, the best reason for answering questions is because you want to not for 'rewards' (although something similar exists on these forums. As you've already mentioned, you can't force people to give feedback on any provided answer and it will always be like that. You'll also notice that the same problem exists on the Telligent Community platform, although they have a system of "Verified Answers" there are many posts and threads that do not get replies or feedback for an answer.

I'm also not a big fan of points, but if that encourage people (or some people) to participate and make the community stronger, maybe it's not a bad idea. I particulary wouldn't mind being helped by someone no matter their reasons, as long as they do help.
The reason for asking that question is to determine what the poster has done before asking the question and what they already know about the problem otherwise we waste our time going over ground that's already been covered. Many of the questions that are asked on these forums (and many others) have already been asked and answered, does the post have any responsibility for doing research before posting a question?

I agree. The person asking something, should at least tried even a simple search. Most of the times, answers are right there as you know. I also consider that repeating over and over again the same subject it is not the best way to have a clean knowledge base. But, don't forget that there is no rule to that and if someone asks, maybe is because he didn't find the answer or the right thread (or simply didn't look for the answer). In any case, and with the objective of having a friendly community, maybe questioning without providing any further help is not the best option. Althought as I indicated before, this is just my opinion and we are all free of provide help or not, in the way we want as long as no disrespect happens :) (by the way, good moderation here as I never seen any disrespect in any post/thread).
Can you tell me why someone who replies to a thread should go searching through the forums for the specific thread or post that has the answer? I, for one, don't have the time to do research for every question on these forums and despite the hours I spend here I have a life outside these forums that takes priority, don't you?

I would rather to see questions without an answer at all that questions with answers of that kind. The reason is as stated before, that when I look for some subject, I usually have to go thru all of these posts until I find the right one (if I find it). Not answering at all, could be a way of promoting other people to point to that particular link and having more usefull posts. I only answer threads for which I do know the answer, or I think my point of view is helpfull somehow or I have the link and just copy/paste it to see if he already used that or not.
Nothing gets erased (apart from spam and the rare personal or abusive comments) from the forums, that's called censorship.[/QUOTE]

I call it "cleanning" LOL. Like with "bug" reporting. Companies are not prohibiting "duplicate bugs"...they just say "this bug is duplicated" and point to the original bug.
I'm not judging or anything nor anyone. I just thought my opinion as a simple user could have some value. First thing I say, is that I love being part of this community and you are a very important part of it. So, thank you.
Regards,

Sebas
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="pup_seba"]I'm not judging or anything nor anyone.[/QUOTE]I didn't think you were 'criticising' I'm just giving my opinions and response to your comments. :)
[quote user="pup_seba"]I just thought my opinion as a simple user could have some value.[/QUOTE]It does and as I said, member participation and comments are always welcome.
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
pup_seba
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by pup_seba »

Thanks again Bill! :)
BTW, next week I'll have to migrate 12.000 accounts to Zimbra :) Wish me luck!!!
Best regards and as a friend of mine used to say "Zpeak the Z word" :)

Sebas
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="pup_seba"]BTW, next week I'll have to migrate 12.000 accounts to Zimbra :) Wish me luck!!![/QUOTE]You know it's easy. :) Good luck.
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
ccelis5215
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15.GA.3869.UBUNTU18.64 P12

Post by ccelis5215 »

[quote user="pup_seba"]Thanks again Bill! :)
BTW, next week I'll have to migrate 12.000 accounts to Zimbra :) Wish me luck!!!
Best regards and as a friend of mine used to say "Zpeak the Z word" :)

Sebas[/QUOTE]
Hi Sebas, what's about your experience?
ccelis
pup_seba
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by pup_seba »

[quote user="ccelis5215"]Hi Sebas, what's about your experience?
ccelis[/QUOTE]
Hi!
I'll start the migration this friday :) I'll be using ZeXtras which is nice and will avoid me complications about migrating using rsync or adding more servers to the current Zimbra installation and then upgrading those servers in place. So, moving from a physical enviroment with ZCS 6 to virtual enviroment with multimasters LDAPs over vSphere, hopefully is going to be as easy as it gets!
I'll open a discusion in "migration" if I found any particular thing to have into account beside normal migration procedure using ZeXtras ("send as" permission is something I think I will have to script as there is a know bug about that needs to be worked around using "persona")
Regards,

Sebas