Font size one size bigger in Web UI compose

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
Chicken76

Post by Chicken76 »

WHEN YOU START COMPOSING A NEW MESSAGE, THE TOOLBAR SHOWS THE FONT NAME AND SIZE CHOSEN IN PREFERENCES, BUT TYPING GENERATES CHARACTERS ONE SIZE BIGGER THAN WHAT THEY SHOULD BE.

THIS IS EVIDENCED IN TWO WAYS:

SELECTING TEXT AND INCREASING THE SIZE BY ONE, DOES NOT CHANGE THE SELECTED TEXT IN ANY WAY, WHICH MEANS IT WAS ALREADY THAT SIZE.

SELECTING TEXT AND CLICKING ON THE CURRENT SIZE SHRINKS THE TEXT SIZE TO THE CORRECT ONE, WHICH MEANS TYPING IN A NEW/BLANK MESSAGE WAS DONE USING CHARACTERS ONE SIZE BIGGER THAN THE SUPPOSED SIZE.

THIS BUG SEEMS TO HAVE BEEN REPORTED BEFORE HERE: HTTP://WWW.ZIMBRA.COM/FORUMS/ADMINISTRA ... EMAIL.HTML

NO FIX WAS PROVIDED.
THE BUG DOES NOT SEEM TO BE BROWSER OR OS SPECIFIC. I HAVE TESTED ON IE, FIREFOX, CHROME, OPERA (NON-AJAX) ON WINDOWS AND FIREFOX ON LINUX. SAME BEHAVIOR.

ALSO, THE BUG MANIFESTS FOR ALL USERS.
I HAVE ENCOUNTERED THIS BUG IN ZCS 8.0.0_GAA, 8.0.2 AND 8.0.3, AND AS SEEN IN THE LINK ABOVE, IT MANIFESTS IN 8.0.5 ALSO.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="Chicken76"]This bug seems to have been reported before here: It's not a bug unless it's filed in bugzilla.
[quote user="Chicken76"]No fix was provided.[/QUOTE]That's because the bug cannot be replicated as mentioned in that report. If you think you have consistent steps to reproduce the 'bug' then file a report with exact steps and full details of the ZCS version (I'd suggest you upgrade top the most recent ZCS release), browser and operating system details, include screen shots and any language details if it's not English and any other details you think might be appropriate. Perhaps you might try using firebug to show what's happening in the browser when this problem happens. FWIW, I can't reproduce this 'bug' on my ZCS 8.0.5 installation - make of that what you will. ;)
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
Chicken76

Post by Chicken76 »

Thank you for replying. I'll schedule an upgrade for one of my installations as soon as possible and post again my findings.

What I find strange is that I encounter this behavior on all my ZCS installations, and only a few others have reported this (as far as I'm aware of). The only thing my ZCS instances have in common is the use of the same OS: Ubuntu Server 12.04 x64 LTS.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="Chicken76"]The only thing my ZCS instances have in common is the use of the same OS: Ubuntu Server 12.04 x64 LTS.[/QUOTE]I use CentOS for all my servers, I never have liked Ubuntu but that's just me. :)
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
Chicken76

Post by Chicken76 »

[quote user="10330phoenix"]I use CentOS for all my servers, I never have liked Ubuntu but that's just me. :)[/QUOTE]

Can't blame you, but as Red Hat and Suse are commercial, the only binary option left was Ubuntu.

Do you suspect the underlying OS might have something to do with this issue?
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="Chicken76"]Can't blame you, but as Red Hat and Suse are commercial, the only binary option left was Ubuntu.[/QUOTE]CentOS is free and a binary compatible rebuild of the REHL version, it's also now a supported distribution although I've never had any problems running ZCS on it since the first release in 2005. :)
[quote user="Chicken76"]Do you suspect the underlying OS might have something to do with this issue?[/QUOTE]Not really although I do see many problems on here relating to Ubuntu and it's strange ways and I also have an issue with it's package management system but as I say it's probably just me.
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
Chicken76

Post by Chicken76 »

[quote user="10330phoenix"]CentOS is free and a binary compatible rebuild of the REHL version, it's also now a supported distribution although I've never had any problems running ZCS on it since the first release in 2005. :)[/QUOTE]

Yes, but as I use ZCS at work, I could not afford to install it onto an unsupported (at the time) OS. I'm glad there's more than one free option now.
[quote user="10330phoenix"]Not really although I do see many problems on here relating to Ubuntu and it's strange ways and I also have an issue with it's package management system but as I say it's probably just me.[/QUOTE]

I see. I'll report back as soon as I've upgraded to 8.0.5.
9123lindworm
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by 9123lindworm »

Hi,
I can repro this behavior on 8.0.5.
I filed a bug: Bug 84876 ? Font size one size bigger in Web UI compose
@chicken76 I took your text from the start of the thread for creating the bug
Chicken76

Post by Chicken76 »

@lindworm

I'm relieved I'm not the only one that encountered this bug.

What OS are you running ZCS on?
9123lindworm
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by 9123lindworm »

I could repro it on the ZCS 8.0.3 on Ubuntu 10.04 and 8.0.5 on Ubuntu 12.04.
But it doesn't look like a OS problem for me.