Relay outgoing messages to external SMTP

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
symo

Post by symo »

Hello everyone, I'm running Zimbra CE 8.0.7 and because of high volume of spam I would like to relay outgoing messages to an external SMTP.

I'm asking you help to do this... :o
Thanks in advance!

Simone
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="symo"]Hello everyone, I'm running Zimbra CE 8.0.7 and because of high volume of spam I would like to relay outgoing messages to an external SMTP.[/QUOTE]What does the volume of spam have to do with you relaying through an external server? Have you looked in the Admin UI (or the wiki or the forum articles) for the settings?
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
jorgedelacruz.es
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: Zimbra Collaboration 8.7

Post by jorgedelacruz.es »

Hi symo,
I wrote this months ago with many use cases:
1.- Send all the emails from the server trought smart host
2.- Send all emails from the server to concrete domain trought smart host
3.- Send emails from concrete internal domain trought smart host
Zimbra: Haciendo uso de SmartHost Relay » Blog de Jorge de la Cruz

Kind regards
symo

Post by symo »

[quote user="10330phoenix"]What does the volume of spam have to do with you relaying through an external server? Have you looked in the Admin UI (or the wiki or the forum articles) for the settings?[/QUOTE]
Hello! Searching the wiki I found this article Sending mail through an external relay - Zimbra :: Wiki but it applies only until version 6.0. In your opinion it could be valid also for 8.0 version?
My idea is to relay messages to a SpamTitan server that could analyze outgoing mail and prevent the blacklisting of my server.
Thanks

Simone
jorgedelacruz.es
Advanced member
Advanced member

Hi Symo,

Do the next commands, are for version 8 as well:

[root@zimbra ~]# su - zimbra

[zimbra@zimbra ~]$ zmprov mcf zimbraMtaRelayHost smarthost.out.com:25
You can verify that the change is effective:

[zimbra@zimbra ~]$ zmprov gcf zimbraMtaRelayHost

zimbraMtaRelayHost: smarthost.out.com:25
Reboot the service and chech the log

[zimbra@zimbra ~]$ zmcontrol stop && zmcontrol start

[zimbra@zimbra ~]$ logout

[root@zimbra ~]# tail -f /var/log/maillog

PS: You need to be sure that Spamtitan accepts the relay from your IP/domain
Kind regards
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="symo"]My idea is to relay messages to a SpamTitan server that could analyze outgoing mail and prevent the blacklisting of my server.[/QUOTE]The problem you need to address is why there is spam going out from your server, that's your major problem and relaying is not the answer. Have you checked for any compromised accounts on your server? Have you checked the log files and the server daily email to the admin with details of the traffic on your server? You should start with that before you look at anything else. Do you require strong passwords on your server?
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
symo

Post by symo »

[quote user="10330phoenix"]The problem you need to address is why there is spam going out from your server, that's your major problem and relaying is not the answer. Have you checked for any compromised accounts on your server? Have you checked the log files and the server daily email to the admin with details of the traffic on your server? You should start with that before you look at anything else. Do you require strong passwords on your server?[/QUOTE]
Yes, of course. Basically my problem with outgoing spam messages is generated by users infected by viruses. Once the client is infected it starts to send tons of mail :(
Thanks

Simone
jorgedelacruz.es
Advanced member
Advanced member

Hi Symo,

Phonenix has right, check all internal first. Also you can do this simply steps for try to mitigate the spam on your System:

Zimbra: Seguridad (I Parte) » Blog de Jorge de la Cruz
With this simple step, you will be secure against extenrla people try to send emails using fake sender, is very typical and big problem.
Tell us what you need.
Kind regards.
symo

Post by symo »

[quote user="jorgedelacruz.es"]Hi Symo,

Phonenix has right, check all internal first. Also you can do this simply steps for try to mitigate the spam on your System:

Zimbra: Seguridad (I Parte) » Blog de Jorge de la Cruz
With this simple step, you will be secure against extenrla people try to send emails using fake sender, is very typical and big problem.
Tell us what you need.
Kind regards.[/QUOTE]
Hi Jorge, thank you very much! I will check the steps mentioned at you blog! I will let you know!
Kind regards!

Simone
symo

Post by symo »

Hi Jorge, I followed your instructions, I configured my SpamTitan server and everything is working fine!

Just for information, if I would like to revert to original configuration, which command I need to do on my zimbra?
Kind regards!

Simone