Multi server install settings

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
Vimm

Post by Vimm »

I'm trying to install Zimbra Enterprise using two servers and I'm having a little trouble. I'm trying to install the packages as follows:
Server 1:

ldap

mta

snmp
Server 2:

store

logger

spell

snmp
I've been following the minti-server install instructions but something's not adding up. When I try to complete the installation on Server 2 I'm never given the option to apply the settings. All I get is the message:

"Address unconfigured (**) items or correct ldap configuration (? - help)"
Well, there are no unconfigured items, the LDAP master host is set to server 1 using the password obtained by a "zmlocalconfig -s ldap_root_password", and I'm not getting any errors. Here's what I'm seeing.
Main menu
1) Hostname: server2

2) Ldap master host: server1

3) Ldap port: 389

4) Ldap password: set

5) zimbra-store: Enabled

6) zimbra-snmp: Enabled

7) zimbra-logger: Enabled

8) zimbra-spell: Enabled

r) Start servers after configuration yes

s) Save config to file

x) Expand menu

q) Quit
Address unconfigured (**) items or correct ldap configuration (? - help)
What am I missing?
marcmac
Elite member
Elite member

Post by marcmac »

wrong pw, use the zimbra_ldap_password
Vimm

Post by Vimm »

I gave that a shot but it returns the same password. Both of these commands are returning the same thing:
zmlocalconfig -s zimbra_ldap_password

zmlocalconfig -s ldap_root_password
It's not working like it's explained in the multi-server installation guide. On step 4 of the Mailbox server instructions it says the following:

4">http://www.zimbra.com/docs/ne/latest/mu ... ml#1068002
4. The Hostname is displayed. You must set the LDAP host and password configured on the LDAP server.

Type 2 and then type the LDAP host name.

Type 4 and then type the LDAP password.

The server immediately contacts the LDAP server. If it cannot contact the server, you cannot proceed.
It also shows a screen shot displaying the following:
Checking ldap on :389...FAILED
I have yet to see that message regardless of what server name I enter. I have not seen any status or error message of any kind. I am also able to successfully telnet from server2 to server1 on port 389.
Vimm

Post by Vimm »

Well, don't know what the problem was but it's fixed now. Server 1 had a full install on it so I re-installed it with only the items I needed and now both work. I do wish the documentation indicated where the LDAP status message actually appears (in zmsetup.log) as opposed to in the setup prompt as the screen shot indicates.