How could zimbra be installed to achieve the following

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
ukbabu

Post by ukbabu »

Hello Everyone,

I am thinking to give zimbra a try. I have the follwing situation. Can anybody tell me how can I go ahead if this is at all possible.
I have a collocated server that is serving as my email server and also as our company website. Now I want to install Zimbra in our LAN in such a way that the zimbra server sends and recieves email thorugh my collocated server. And all the user in the LAN send and recieve email from Zimbra.
The reason I want this is zimbra is too heavy to put in already exisiting collocated server and its too expesnsive to collocate another server. So I intend to put Zimbra in the LAN make it send and recieve via the current mail server in the collocated server. This way inside the LAN the user will get all the advantage of Zimbra server. We dont need to access mail from outside the LAN.

Can somebody who knows please help me out.
Thanks alot

Raju
rsharpe
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by rsharpe »

I depends on what you plan to deploy if you are using the open source solution or the network edition are you planning using only the web interface or are people going to be on POP and IMAP, if you are on the NE are you going to use the outlook connector.
In any case you'll need to do a multi-server install.
OS w/POP and IMAP

colo server with Zimbra MTA

local server with Zimbra Suite including another MTA, configure this MTA to relay to the external one. and configure clients with this MTA
OS just webmail

colo server with Zimbra MTA

local server with Zimbra Suite w/o MTA
NE -- with the Network Edition I'm assuming you'll use the Outlook Connector or Web Interface, there is no reason to use POP or IMAP with this

colo server with MTA

local server with Zimbra Suite

clients configured with Zimbra Outlook Connector
marcmac
Elite member
Elite member

Post by marcmac »

This is a DNS change, mostly - set up DNS such that your existing server delivers mail to the zimbra box.
On the zimbra side, just set the relay host to be your existing server.
Search the wiki for split domain, that page will cover most of what you're looking for.
Not sure what rSharpe was thinking, but I don't think he's answering the question you're asking.
ukbabu

Post by ukbabu »

Thanks for the info rsharpe.

About your question I am open to using both NE or the open source solution for now. It depends upon the advantages.

About other options just webmail is enough. (IMAP POP and outlook connector is not needed)
Now in your post you said i need to install Zimbra MTA in the colocated server. Now the question is how heavy is the Zimbra MTA. I searched in the forum but cant find a solution for something like my case.
Thanks alot
ukbabu

Post by ukbabu »

[quote user="marcmac"]This is a DNS change, mostly - set up DNS such that your existing server delivers mail to the zimbra box.
On the zimbra side, just set the relay host to be your existing server.
Search the wiki for split domain, that page will cover most of what you're looking for.
Not sure what rSharpe was thinking, but I don't think he's answering the question you're asking.[/QUOTE]

Thanks a lot. I posted my earlier post and then there was a reply. Thank you very much.

Raju