Multiple disclaimers appended; alterMIME with Postfix / Amavis

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
dik23
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by dik23 »

I've been on this for a while now and was wondering if I could get some advice / help
Unless I'm mistaken there's two ways to add a disclaimer / footer (legally required round my way) with alterMIME :
1. The "official" method using zimbraDomainMandatoryMailSignatureEnabled etc
2. The "old" way using Postfix as described here
I have both ways working on my test machine here but they both have the same problem. They both continually add the disclaimer each time the user replies to a returned mail. This creates a rather messy disclaimer repetition at the bottom of the mail.
Now the Postfix method has script 9a) which specifically says this will not happen. This is however the only bit of any of this that does not work for me.
Emails sent using the 9a script show in zimbra.log as "(delivered via dfilt service)" but unlike the other scripts in that wiki absolutely no disclaimer is added at all !
So, my question is, does this work for anyone else and if so how so ? And if not is the same possible with zimbraDomainMandatoryMailSignatureEnabled, which I have to admit does seem like the "cleaner" option ?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated
dik23
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by dik23 »

Is there really no-one out there who's interested in this ?
I mean it's a legal requirement in the UK and I suspect that it's probably a Euro law which would mean that it would cover a mere half billion people.
Has anyone out there had any luck with the 9a script ? Have I overlooked something or is it broken ?
While I'm at it I'd also like to suggest an amendment to the Postfix instructions. I do think that adding -o content_filter=dfilt: under 465 in master.cf.in should be included for a more complete guide.
Thanks for any input
DEpple

Post by DEpple »

[quote user="dik23"]Is there really no-one out there who's interested in this ?
I mean it's a legal requirement in the UK and I suspect that it's probably a Euro law which would mean that it would cover a mere half billion people.
Has anyone out there had any luck with the 9a script ? Have I overlooked something or is it broken ?
While I'm at it I'd also like to suggest an amendment to the Postfix instructions. I do think that adding -o content_filter=dfilt: under 465 in master.cf.in should be included for a more complete guide.
Thanks for any input[/QUOTE]
I'M INTERESTED!!!
I'm currently trying to use the "official" method using zimbraDomainMandatoryMailSignatureEnabled.. Getting an error message. But I hope that it does not duplicate itself in replied emails.. Do you have any updates since your last post?
dik23
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by dik23 »

As far as what I was trying to achieve's concerned zimbraDomainMandatoryMailSignatureEnabled is a waste of space as there's really very little control of what you can do with it.
I am currently using the Postfix method with the script at the bottom of the page under "Update: Adding a diferent disclaimer by domain" although I'd prefer to have the 9a script working but don't have the time / scripting skills to figure out exactly why it won't work.
DEpple

Post by DEpple »

Have you figured out if/how to make the postfix method survive upgrades? And what exactly were you trying to do that you felt you had "really very little control of what you can do with it."
I just want a single legal disclaimer to be included with all outgoing emails.. I think the zimbraDomainMandatoryMailSignature method should work just fine for what I'm trying to do.
dik23
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by dik23 »

Yeah - it works but it adds the disclaimer to internal mail and I didn't see how to add different disclaimers to different mail domains.
I doubt if the postfix method will survive upgrades but if you quickly skip through after an upgrade it takes a matter of seconds to get it working again if you have copies of the edited files to hand.
It would be nice to have the script 9a to work then it will only add the disclaimer once, not every time the mail is sent out
btietjens

Post by btietjens »

Hi there,
it would be very nice if some one could shed some light on this subject...
This is what I want to achieve:

add signatures/disclaimers/footer per sender domain to every email that is sent to external receivers but not to emails sent internally
1) Altermine

i implemented this with the smtp filter, the disclaimer script and altermime

unfortunatly that ends up in some email being mangled up

is there a new version? does anyone have had the same problem? is there something i can do about it? How can I make it work only for outgoing mails?
2) zimbraDomainMandatoryMailSignature

does this work as per domain?
3) is there another way?
dik23
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by dik23 »

I am still using this method. Once working I tarballed any added / altered files preserving directories and permissions. Each time I update I un-tarball and it works fine.
The only issue I've had is for some unknown (to me) reason mail sent from mobiles (non BlackBerry) using IMAP seems to bypass the setup I have and the disclaimer isn't added. I don't really understand why this is seeing as they're using the IMAP/SMTP settings that Outlook / Thunderbird etc use.
The same happens with the VZA "fling" which uses ActiveSync.
Blackberrys sans BES send mail via RIM and therefore don't pass through Zimbra SMTP and so they don't have the disclaimer added.
I've never had any "mangled" emails so can't really help with that. Most of the issues I had setting this up were permission related.
As far as I'm aware it doesn't work per domain but I think that there's some noise about making it do this. Personally I'd prefer this to work since it'd be less for me to get wrong on updates.
No idea. Write it on by hand ? :D I think you can have a server between Zimbra and the outside world but I've not looked into it as what I have works (apart from for mobiles)
rabettle

Post by rabettle »

there is a bug that covers this
Bug 41872 – expand disclaimer support from single, global to per-domain
vote for it please. this shouldn't be something we have to hack in. this should be standard from the admin gui (so it can be delegated) and needs to happen sooner rather than later.