ZCO and Outlook 2010 Crash when mouse-over addressee

Ask your questions and get help with Zimbra's Outlook Connector.
cjs

Post by cjs »

Outlook 2010 (32-bit) and ZCO (7.2.1, 7.2.2, and 8.0.2, but NOT 7.1.1 and 7.1.4) will crash when we mouse-over an address in the To: field on a received message, right after Outlook pops up the information about the addressee. Server is 7.2._GA_2669. Most easily reproduced if the address is a distribution list, but other address types also cause it to crash, but not all (but that varies with ZCO version; 8.0.2 seems to crash on all addresses).
Only happens when the profile is configured with a Microsoft Exchange account as well as a Zimbra MAPI account. I've been told that is not a supported configuration, but since it isn't a problem with 7.1.x, I'd like to confirm that.
A zimbra-crash-xxx....dmp file is created each time.
So, supported or not? Bug or known limitation?
cronos

Post by cronos »

Hi
I've just spent all day trying to get the connector working in our environment. We use exchange for our corporate email (we already have AD setup and despite what others on these forums will tell you, exchange isn't the antichrist, it just works all day long). I have zimbra for a personal account.
In short - the connector is a right crock. With it installed my outlook (which has been perfect each and every day) constantly crashes/restarts. I am unable to send email from my zimbra account to my exchange account without some crazy undeliverable message appearing (despite the email actually being delivered just fine). I have tried setting up a completely different email profile, one for exchange and one for zimbra (pretty useless to me frankly since i need to be on both all day) and even this doesn't work.
Literally spent the day on it trying it each and every way. My conclusion is that the only time you can use Zimbra Connector is when you have no other email accounts or profiles configured on your PC.
I've uninstalled, gone back to using Zimbra via IMAP/SMTP and my outlook is again faultless.
There are so many ifs and buts with Zimbra I'm not sure why the fanbois love it and give exchange a hard time. We installed exchange and its working on all our PCs, iphones, OWA is fine, never get any mailbox corruption or java crashes. I'm fed up of encountering issues with zimbra, punching them into google and finding that they've been known and outstanding for years. Rant over, anyway to answer your question, exchange cannot coexist with the zimbra connector, even in separate email profiles.
Windows7, Outlook 2010 64 bit.
HTH !
cjs

Post by cjs »

I too have Outlook (32-bit or a 64-bit Win7) constantly crashing and restarting, but only when I use a profile that includes the Zimbra account. I do that only when I need to see Zimbra calendars; mail is forwarded to my Exchange server. Unlike you, I am able to use a profile that defines only my Exchange account, and all is good. This is with the 7.1.4.6348 connector running. Newer version seem to cause more problems for me. Office 64-bit had been giving me problems as well. You might consider going back to 32-bit. No disadvantages, IMO.
cronos

Post by cronos »

I'm really not that bothered about the calendar/contact/task sync, I'm perfectly happy with just email on an IMAP/SMTP basis.
And I'm definitely not interested in changing my entire faultless PC setup just to workaround a bit of flakey software ;-)
cronos

Post by cronos »

Oh just as an aside, I tried something this morning.
1. Started off with my perfectly working single profile with Exchange. No ZC installed.

2. Installed Zimbra connector

3. Started outlook, created new profile just for Zimbra, added *only* the Zimbra account.
switched back to my exchange-only profile and outlook was crashing all over the place.
Uninstalled Zimbra connector, and back to perfectly stable again.
As I said - very iffy software this. But it does seem stable/working if you only have a single profile with single zimbra account.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="cronos"]As I said - very iffy software this.[/QUOTE]I guess you'll be filing bug reports or opening support cases instead of just griping in the forums?
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
cronos

Post by cronos »

if I believed for a minute that they stood a chance of being fixed, yes indeed. However as I dive deeper into Zimbra and look on these forums I'm quite disappointed as to the number of issues and how long some things have been outstanding for.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="cronos"]if I believed for a minute that they stood a chance of being fixed, yes indeed.[/QUOTE]So I guess you're not really interested in helping improve the product?
[quote user="cronos"]However as I dive deeper into Zimbra and look on these forums I'm quite disappointed as to the number of issues and how long some things have been outstanding for.[/QUOTE]These are Community SDupport forums not official Zimbra support, the correct place to report issue is in bugzilla not these forums.
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="cronos"]if I believed for a minute that they stood a chance of being fixed, yes indeed.[/QUOTE]So I guess you're not really interested in helping improve the product?
[quote user="cronos"]However as I dive deeper into Zimbra and look on these forums I'm quite disappointed as to the number of issues and how long some things have been outstanding for.[/QUOTE]These are Community Support forums not official Zimbra support, the correct place to report issue is in bugzilla not these forums.
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
cronos

Post by cronos »

[quote user="10330phoenix"]So I guess you're not really interested in helping improve the product?[/QUOTE]
If I'm being totally honest with you, not really - I don't have the time although obviously I'd like all the issues to be resolved. Maybe I am posting against the wrong target audience (Community vs Commercial)... but my situation is this:
I've just started a new hosting company and we're looking for a mail solution that is affordable by end customers. As we are a VMware VSPP member, we have access to all of the products under VSPP and Zimbra is one of them. The pay as you go / reporting usage approach fits will with our business. But make no mistake, this is on a commercial basis. Our customers and ourselves will effectively be paying VMware for the use of this product, so I expect it to work and we need it to be of high quality. In my last company we used Atmail for this requirement and although Atmail wasn't perfect I didn't see half the issues I've seen so far.
If the majority of people posting on these forums are using the open source version then I fully understand, but for us we're using the network edition and I stand by my current opinion that for a commercial product its too full of holes.