Very Disappointed

(Formally Chit Chat) Anything Goes (Almost). Should be somehow Zimbra or communication related.
Brad_C
Advanced member
Advanced member

Very Disappointed

Post by Brad_C »

[quote user="Jenn Emerson"]Dang it! I guess we're all just going to have to learn how to spell. :p[/QUOTE]
I cun speel rool gud, i dunno aboot yoo.
pup_seba
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Very Disappointed

Post by pup_seba »

LOL. REALLY? THESE ARE PROBLEMS? I GUESS I'M STILL NOT USED TO "FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS".
AT MOST, THEY COULD BE SUGGESTIONS OR PETITIONS TO MAKE IN AN EDUCATED MANNER BUT AS YOU MAY OR MAY NOT KNOW, ZIMBRA IS OPEN SOURCE AND YOU (ACTUALLY SOMEONE WITH BASIC HTML/CSS/AJAX KNOWLEDGE) COULD EASILY CHANGE BASICALLY EVERY LAYOUT YOU WANT. TRY TO DO THAT WITH "OUTLOOK"...
BTW...ONE COULD USE OUTLOOK WITH A ZIMBRA SERVER IF YOU STILL WANT YOUR COMPANY TO SPEND LIKE 300€ IN A MSFT OFFICE LICENSE PER USER! FOR THAT MATTER.

REGARDS,

SEBAS
audtr.jpg
10119metux
Advanced member
Advanced member

Very Disappointed

Post by 10119metux »

[quote user="maxypaxy"]

1) When I click to open an email to read it and then decide to delete it, the program goes back to the main email reading pane, it doesn't progress to the next email.

[/QUOTE]
Exactly the behaviour I would expect.
You do know that you can easily view the currently selected mail directly below the mail list ?

You can even easily browse through the mails, also select multiple ones and hit the delete button ...

You dont need to double-click on each individual mail and so open it in an new window.
[quote user="maxypaxy"]

2) When email is open, the arrows to go to previous or next email are on the extreme right of screen, away from all the other prompts.

[/QUOTE]
Telling which theme, browser and window size you're using would be helpful here.
[quote user="maxypaxy"]

3) Companies often require now that emails are bcc'd. There is no option to keep the bcc as a default. I always have to select bcc when I am creating a new email. Again, double clicking or selecting when with Outlook there was a bcc default option.

[/QUOTE]
What exactly do you mean w/ "as default" ?

Could you please describe your exact scenario ? What's the actual purpose of this ?
We already implemented a similar feature, but for a pretty specific scenario (where the bcc

address is coming from the middleware and added via milter). But it shouldn't be a big

deal implementing it more generic, once exact requirements are defined.
[quote user="maxypaxy"]

5) The address book is has almost no functionality in its present form -- it is just a list. I used to be able to see columns of address and sort my contacts by company. Now, all I have a an alphabetical list of over 500 contacts. Useless.

[/QUOTE]
Maybe you just should organize your contacts into folders :P
10119metux
Advanced member
Advanced member

Very Disappointed

Post by 10119metux »

[quote user="maxypaxy"] Every single email I receive from others or send that has a signature with a photo/logo shows up as an email with an attachment making the sort function by attachment USELESS![/QUOTE]
That might come due to the fact that these "signatures" are indeed nothing but simple attachments.

It's just that certain mail clients happen to have the misfeature of automatically show attachments in the mail view.

Pretty much the way how email viruses work.
10119metux
Advanced member
Advanced member

Very Disappointed

Post by 10119metux »

[quote user="pup_seba"]

but as you may or may not know, Zimbra IS open source

[/QUOTE]
well, sort of ...
the (public) codebase still doesn't even build (w/o lots of extra patches),

and still no way of retrieving the exact source code revision for

certain release ... (any decent SCM supports tags for that, but Zimbra

folks still wasting their time w/ that ridiculous perforce)
stormpoorun

Very Disappointed

Post by stormpoorun »

[quote user="jjohnson"]I'm definitely sorry to hear you're not having a good experience with Zimbra, and we'll definitely take your feedback to heart. Let me see if I can try to address these or at least clarify the issues...[/quote]
Probably lost to other users in the forum changes, but I previously addressed each issue MaxyPaxy raised, see my post above. So I've posted a summary of my responses inline below:

[quote user="jjohnson"]1) When you are reading the mail, are you reading it in the preview pane or are you opening the message in a new window? It sounds like it may be the latter, but you're looking for behaviour like you would see in the former. Also note that there's a setting in Preferences > Mail > Displaying Messages > Message Selection that controls what is selected when you delete or move a message. I'm not sure if this will help your situation or not, but thought I'd point it out. Overall, the reading functionality of Zimbra is very reading-pane focused which is much more like Gmail than Outlook. In most instances, this is for the better, but as you've pointed out there are cases where single-panel displays aren't optimized enough. I'll look into this further.[/quote]

It works in Advanced mode, but not standard mode, and I created a bug for this as a result: https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=93630

(I assumed the questioner was using it in Standard mode, but my questions were not answered.)
[quote user="jjohnson"]2) You're right that the controls are off to the right side, which is true for all view controls. You should however have keyboard shortcuts for moving those, but in verifying that I noted that those seem to not be working. I'll file a bug for that.[/quote]
I filed a bug for this issue: https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=93630
a) Keyboard shortcuts not present in standard mode (keys work for me in advanced mode), and b)  arrow keys are poorly-located.

[quote user="jjohnson"]3) We've recently made a change to how BCC works, where your choice for displaying BCC will be remembered from session to session, so those that use it often will have it available. This will likely come in Zimbra Collaboration 8.5.[/quote]

https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=15306

In the above bug, users (or admin) would have to option to force BCC open at all times. I respect the current method, but don't see a compelling reason to deny a preference setting for those many users who use it so regularly, they don't want it accidentally hidden in future.

[quote user="jjohnson"]4) You're right that spell check functionality is limited. With the improvements to built-in spellcheck in the browsers, I've considered suggesting that remove Zimbra spellcheck in favor of using the spellcheck in the user's browser. That would mean that the vocabulary you specify in Zimbra is available in other web apps as well, and the reverse obviously would be true as well. If you have thoughts on this, please let us know, as this is still under early consideration.[/quote]
Standard mode has no spellcheck: https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=56551
Spellcheck doesn't have an editable dictionary: https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=31586

I understand the reasons for going with the browser dictionary. However, for users that are going from device to device, and place to place, and using a variety of browsers, it would be useful to have the built-in dictionary retained as a zimlet for them to switch on if required, with the dictionary choosable and editable.

[quote user="jjohnson"]5) I feel your pain here, and COMPLETELY agree. For some reason early on, someone decided that each contact should contain it's own sorting information, rather than storing it on the list allowing more flexibility in how contact lists are sorted. There is an open bug for fixing this here: https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=70257. If this is important to you, please add your vote to it, as our product management does take votes into consideration when prioritizing work for each release.[/quote]

The bug listed, (70257) is not visible to unauthorised users, could it be reset (and any private information put aside separately if required?).

I have identified two other relevant bugs:
https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=8845  -  Allowing sorting by different fields)(allowing sorting by different fields
https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=14862  -  Allow table view for contacts

ADDITIONAL POINTS

> maxypaxy: Every single email I receive from others or send that has a signature with a photo/logo shows up as an email with an attachment making the sort function by attachment USELESS!

I agree with your complaint about this.

Please vote here to support that feature: https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=37770

The bug is currently targeted to be fixed in the next release of Zimbra (v 9) sometime next year.

> maxypaxy: Unfortunately, these issues are going to slow down productivity by adding more steps to achieve prior same results.

I agree completely, and hope others will vote and management team read this to understand that a few relatively small 'papercut' improvements are as important to users, workflow, satisfaction, and saleability, as are grand feature changes.