Can Zimbra show sender address in inbox?

General discussion about Zimbra Desktop.
technoweary

Can Zimbra show sender address in inbox?

Post by technoweary »

Hi,
Thinking about replacing Outlook with Zimbra and would like to confirm a feature that I could not find in the Zimbra demo's
To improve security I wish to be able to configure the email client inbox to show the senders email address, rather than a title
Microsoft have ignored years of requests by their customers for this facility and enforce what their customers need rather than what the customers actually want.
If Zimbra can do this I would swap immediately and gladly wave goodbye to the second rate Microsoft rubbish
Can this be done?
Any advice would be much appreciated
Regards to all
PriteshGajjar
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Re: Can Zimbra show sender address in inbox?

Post by PriteshGajjar »

If you using Zimbra Desktop then there is a setting "Display names in place of email addresses when available" under Preferences->All Accounts -> General -> Other -> Email Addresses.
See if this setting works for you.
technoweary

Post by technoweary »

Hi,
Thank you for your reply
I guess I need to turn this OFF so the senders email address shows in the inbox rather than a "Name"
I will download and try Zimbra Desktop
Thanks again for your help
Much appreciated
liverpoolfcfan
Elite member
Elite member

Post by liverpoolfcfan »

It doesn't do this by default - but it does display the email address if you hover over the sender's name with your mouse.

As it is open source - you could also have someone edit the template/css so it will display for you.
technoweary

Post by technoweary »

That is a disappointment
It's one of the main requirements I am looking for in the email client.
Despite good spam filtering it is very common in my business dealings to get a message from, for example, "John", so I send it to the spam folder because I do not recognise the subject and I am not certain who "John" is
I then have to search it out in the spam folder so that I can view it whithout risking any activity
It usually turns out it is from a new employee called "John" @ "a domain I know" so I then return it to the inbox
This messing about would be cut out if I could see the sender address in the inbox
It's one of the typical annoyances I have with Microsoft who decide they will not offer this option because they do not wish to, yet many of their customers have requested the facility
I was hoping that Zimbra would have already thought of this and had some form of optional switch for the user
My search continues
Thanks for the help though, much appreciated
liverpoolfcfan
Elite member
Elite member

Post by liverpoolfcfan »

If you are going to all that trouble then just hovering your mouse for a couple of seconds over the sender will be a lot less hassle.

In the picture attached, I have simply moved my mouse over the sender's name - Techcentral.ie - and you can see it pops up a window that shows the sender's email address. I haven't clicked anything or attempted to open the email.
EmailAddressPopup.png
EmailAddressPopup.png (23.14 KiB) Viewed 19572 times
technoweary

Post by technoweary »

OK, I see your point
I agree that this is no big hardship and I will certainly try Zimbra
Thanks again for your help
PaperAdvocate

Post by PaperAdvocate »

Since this was #1 on Google when I had the same question.

This forum post shows the answer: viewtopic.php?t=16442

To show the full E-mail address instead of just the name you can enable the setting per COS. The line below assumes the "default" COS

Code: Select all

zmprov mc default zimbraPrefShortEmailAddress FALSE
I didn't know what to look for and nobody had an answer but since it was in the GUI it has to have a CLI equivalent. In the CLI I did

zmprov describe
which showed a bunch of attributes. Browsing through them I saw Address as a possible part of what I might be looking for so

zmprov describe | grep Address
and zimbraPrefShortEmailAddress was in that list. It seemed appropriate so I searched for that attribute in Google which is how I found that post linked above, also that since 8.8.7 this variable is by default set to FALSE for new installs: https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Security_Center