Zimbra doesn't start after upgrade

A Forum to provide feedback, and report issues about Zimbra Desktop Beta or Release Candidate versions
Soldann

Zimbra doesn't start after upgrade

Post by Soldann »

Dear all
I just upgraded Zimbra but now it seems to be gone. I still have a shortcut on my desktop and when I click it there's a popup window telling the program is "initializing, please wait" and then it disappears. I've been looking around for files (like exe or other items i might recognize as a complete beginner) but alas, nothing there. Could someone help? It would be good if i could retrieve my old mails.

All the best
Uma Shankar

Re: Zimbra doesn't start after upgrade

Post by Uma Shankar »

Hi,

Could you please let us know, if you have upgraded zimbra desktop or zimbra server ?

Sorry, but the description like exe and desktop shortcut has got us confused here.

Regards,
Uma Shankar
PriteshGajjar
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by PriteshGajjar »

The message which you mentioned "initializing, please wait" comes when ZD is launched after installation. So I am guessing you are talking about Zimbra Desktop product.

Now the question is how did you performed upgrade? Have you uninstalled older version and installed new version (if that is the case then your all emails will be gone. You need to sync them back from Zimbra Server).

Few questions :
- What was the older version of ZD?
- To which version you upgraded?
- How did you perform upgrade?
- Which accounts you had configured? (Zimbra, Gmail, Yahoo etc)?
flag31plan

Post by flag31plan »

same issue
Got message update available. Update downloaded and I clicked on 'install'. Went through all the install procedures I expected. Icon was back, link on task bar was there click to open and black CMD box opens and a small box then Initializing, please wait. 5secs later, nothing.

Can find a lot of files and msgs but nothing to start Zimbra
flag31plan

Post by flag31plan »

Two additional thoughts.
Since a trial version of collaboration had been on the computer, the update that downloaded and installed may have been that update instead of desktop update.

Tried to download new version. 64-bit says Java SE Runtime 64 needs to be installed (it is) but Zimbra-64 can't find.
Zimbra 32-bit says the destop\win32\prism\updates\0update.msi is missing.
PriteshGajjar
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by PriteshGajjar »

flag31plan wrote:same issue
Got message update available. Update downloaded and I clicked on 'install'. Went through all the install procedures I expected. Icon was back, link on task bar was there click to open and black CMD box opens and a small box then Initializing, please wait. 5secs later, nothing.

Can find a lot of files and msgs but nothing to start Zimbra

We were in process of uploading new 7.2.8 version on web site and I guess you would have got notification while we are doing some testing. You should get that notification again in week or so.

What is current status? Are you not able to use ZD at all?
flag31plan

Post by flag31plan »

Unable to use at all. "Initializing....." then nothing
PriteshGajjar
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by PriteshGajjar »

Do you latest version of 64-bit JRE?

Can you send logs from following location?
(The zdesktop.log file is used for troubleshooting the Zimbra Desktop client.)
Windows XP - C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Zimbra\Zimbra Desktop\log
Windows Vista and 7 - C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Zimbra\Zimbra Desktop\log
flag31plan

Post by flag31plan »

no readable log. zdesktop.out zdesktop.pid

There is a update.msi Zimbra Desktop dated 7/18/16 67.8MB no version number. In the app data/local/zimbra/win32/prism file

I have the previous log with the No_Blob_Found error messages