[SOLVED] Ways to use a global shared Address book

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
chauvetp
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by chauvetp »

Hi all,
We're preparing for a Zimbra roll out here at SUNY New Paltz (newpaltz.edu). We will only be using Zimbra for Faculty and Staff but not ALL faculty and staff.
We do want some shared address book that all faculty and staff would be able to access. This would contain not only all users on the Zimbra system, but all faculty and staff on our other e-mail systems.
There are two ways I see of doing this - all of them have their own issues:

- Create an address book on an account (username: addressbook for example) which is shared to all. Problem here as I see it is I don't know any way to force (when provisioning accounts for example) the address book to be automatically subscribed - and users would have to manually subscribe to it)
Is it possible to automatically subscribe people to a shared folder/address book/calendar through command line tools or a COS?
- If not , can I add additional addresses to the GAL without adding additional accounts to the system?
- Is there any other way that you may be using now for a similar situation?
Thanks in advance for any assistance you can give on these questions!
chauvetp
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by chauvetp »

Response to my own question:
I knew as soon as I made a post I'd find at least one of them out on my own. I can use the zmmailbox command with:
createMountpoint /AddressBook user@domain.edu /AddressBook
or as one command:
zmmailbox -z -m user@domain.edu createMountpoint /MountName source-user@domain.edu /AddressName
Couldn't find it until I actually made this post - then it all came to me.
fschloegl

Post by fschloegl »

[quote user="chauvetp"]Hi all,

Is it possible to automatically subscribe people to a shared folder/address book/calendar through command line tools or a COS?

[/QUOTE]
Can anyone tell me if this is possible? And is it possible, that also new users, will be automatically subscribed to this folder? Without mount the folder, after the creation of the new user.
Thx for your help.
Florian