This Zimbra Drive thing - is it any good? :)

All about Zimbra Drive
FredKarno

This Zimbra Drive thing - is it any good? :)

Post by FredKarno »

Hi all,
I've been looking for a decent file sharing option for a few days and now I've tripped over Zimbra Drive which was hiding under my nose!
We currently run ZCS 8.7 on Centos 7 so I'll be looking to update to 8.8 in a couple of weeks time. I was wondering if there are details on how Zimbra drive works apart from the rather simplisting "book a demo" website.

Is anyone using it? Is it reliable?
I was hoping that we'd be able to host the files on our own network, until I googled owncloud and found that it's Yet Another DropBox Clone. Are there any local options?

I'm also looking for a feature list or a demo or a video. Until then I've got a lot of basic questions like, "Can I share a link to an item in Drive with external email recipients" and "Is it possible to receive documents from external senders"

Thanks in advance, I'm really hoping this is the answer to my requirements.
Fred
hmmblah
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: Zimbra 8.8.10_GA_3041

Re: This Zimbra Drive thing - is it any good? :)

Post by hmmblah »

I don't have any experience with Owncloud, but we are running Nextcloud. There are hosted options as well, but we are running it on our own network and are going to move away from using dropbox. The integration within Zimbra is pretty basic. You can't save an attachment directly to Drive. You need to save it on your computer first, then upload it. You cannot share the files directly from Zimbra either. You need to do that in the Nextcloud app or the web interface.

Basically, all the integration is good for now is to use Zimbra for authentication. You don't have to create any users in Nextcloud.

That being said, Nextcloud is a really nice product. If they can tighten down the integration to Zimbra so you can save directly to it from the Zimbra web client (like you can to the briefcase) and allow sharing from Drive within the Zimbra web client, it'll be that much better.
jorgedlcruz
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Post by jorgedlcruz »

Hello,
You have a demo here: More information here: If you install the Nextcloud Desktop application you will be able to share stuff pretty much like in Dropbox, with the Web client you can only share items from Drive as an attachment for now.

Best regards
Jorge de la Cruz https://jorgedelacruz.es
Systems Engineer at Veeam Software https://www.veeam.com/
FredKarno

Post by FredKarno »

Thanks for the replies, I see now I should have googled NextCloud as well. It looks to be a very interesting option.
I've been looking for a filesharing option and NextCloud seems to tick the boxes, if it has integration with Zimbra - even better. I just hope that this Zimbra/Nextcloud thing takes off and the Zimbra dev team enable tighter integration as we move forward. I'm sure there are other priorities in the queue but this could be a nice feature set when you look at the two products together.
Right - I'd better install 8.8 !

If anyone else has any experience of using Zimbra Drive/Nextcloud I'd love to hear your reaction.
Fred
ZS-Man

Post by ZS-Man »

Hi,
Zimbra Drive is nice idea, but for now bad usable....

For me:
- I have running Zimbra and Nextcloud LDAP auth to domain controller. If I setup Zimbra Drive, all users in NC are recreated with different username (UID) and account - very bad.
- Bug with non-english user DisplayName - https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=108132 - unusable for me
- no saving attachment directly to Drive, sharing links,.....

I think it's still better to use Zimbra WebDAV Client https://zimbra.org/extend/items/view/zi ... dav-client

I like Zimbra, Drive is nice idea, but needs a lot of work....
FredKarno

Post by FredKarno »

Yes, I see where you are coming from. If I had an existing Open/Nextcloud installation I'd be a bit gutted.
Luckily (?) I don't - but I've now got one pretty much set up with just the admin account so I'll be trying to tie it to Zimbra in the next couple of weeks - I'm going to wait until I've got Zimbra 8.8 installed and happy.
I think the obvious lack of right click/save to drive or right click/email link is a bit grim. Here's hoping the Zimbra devs really get behind this extension because I think it has a lot of promise.
FredKarno

Post by FredKarno »

And it's sort of working!

I have encountered this bug:
https://github.com/ZeXtras/zimbra-drive/issues/20
although everything seems to be working for me so far.

The weird thing is that out of three users I've tried, mine is the only one that can log into nextcloud direct. The other two can browse their drive folders fine from within Zimbra but their logins are rejected by the nextcloud server if they attempt to log in from the web interface.

At the moment, drive functionality is severely limited for the users. Attaching files to emails is exactly what I DON'T want them to do!

So, so far... 6/10.
If Zimbra can get the fixed version of the Drive app out and provide options like "send link to this item by email" then I'll be happier,
Cheers all!
Fred
bot0vod

Post by bot0vod »

Hey, all! Im looking for for developers who can help with integration of Zimbra and NextCloud (as an option)! Anyione interested?