[SOLVED] Emails from website end up in sent box as unread

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
ngwenyaglass
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.6_GA_1906.FOSS

[SOLVED] Emails from website end up in sent box as unread

Post by ngwenyaglass »

Hi,

We have recently been upgraded from an old local ClearOS solution to a brand new local server with Zimbra. Ever since then all emails that are coming from our website end up in the sent box as unread. Even if I drag them in outlook to the inbox they magically jump back to the sent box. If I actually send an email to myself from the office I get a sent email in the sent box and the actual unread email still ends up in the sent box. so sending from the office yields two emails in the sent box, but sending from the website there is just the unread email in the sent box and nothing in the inbox!

This never used to happen with the old local mail server. The guys who installed it say that its because my website script is saying the email is from the actual server i.e. mailname@domain.co.sz but this is normal practice to avoid spam filters and being blacklisted.

Does anyone have any ideas why this might happen?

Regards
Ben
Last edited by ngwenyaglass on Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
ngwenyaglass

Re: Emails from website end up in sent box as unread

Post by ngwenyaglass »

If anyone has any ideas here are the current system versions we are using...

Code: Select all

Zimbra 8.8.4_GA_1877 (build 20170907123951)

Centos-release-7-4.1708.el7.Centos.x86_64
L. Mark Stone
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: 10.0.7 Network Edition

Post by L. Mark Stone »

8.8.4 is Beta.

Best if you can upgrade to 8.8.6 plus last week's Hotfix and then see if the problem continues.

Hope that helps,
Mark
ngwenyaglass

Post by ngwenyaglass »

Thanks for the pointer Mark.
Would It be safe to just do "yum update"
Or is there a procedure that I should follow? I have not used Zimbra before and I didn't install it. But I have experience with running Centos.
L. Mark Stone
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by L. Mark Stone »

ngwenyaglass wrote:Thanks for the pointer Mark.
Would It be safe to just do "yum update"
Or is there a procedure that I should follow? I have not used Zimbra before and I didn't install it. But I have experience with running Centos.
Yes, keeping the OS updated and patched is not only safe, it's recommended.

Zimbra has few operating system dependencies; I can't recall ever seeing an OS update (not an OS major version upgrade!) break Zimbra.

To go from 8.8.4 to 8.8.6 you'll need to download the 8.8.6 package, plus the Hotfix. Review the Release Notes for both the 8.8.6 package and the Hotfix, install the 8.8.6 package over your 8.8.4 installation (good idea to have backups/snapshots -- just in case), then apply the Hotfix, and then you should be set.

Open Source version can be downloaded here: https://zimbra.org/download/zimbra-collaboration

Hope that helps,
Mark
ngwenyaglass

Post by ngwenyaglass »

Thanks so much for your help Mark,

We had the guys who installed it update to 8.8.6_GA_1906.FOSS.

We're still having strange things happen with emails that come from our domain... They now end up in the Junk box. I marked the emails as safe in outlook then dragged them to the inbox, then they automatically jumped in to the sent box, but only a few of them.

Have you any ideas what may cause this?

Ben
L. Mark Stone
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by L. Mark Stone »

ngwenyaglass wrote:Thanks so much for your help Mark,

We had the guys who installed it update to 8.8.6_GA_1906.FOSS.

We're still having strange things happen with emails that come from our domain... They now end up in the Junk box. I marked the emails as safe in outlook then dragged them to the inbox, then they automatically jumped in to the sent box, but only a few of them.

Have you any ideas what may cause this?

Ben
Lots of possibilities here unfortunately.

Best to remove Outlook from the equation to narrow things down, just use the Zimbra web UI. For an email in Junk that shouldn't be, right-click on it, choose "Show Original" and take a look at the header to see what's triggering Zimbra to mark the email as spam.

As re Outlook in IMAP mode and moving emails around, I've seen various versions of Outlook not do IMAP refreshes promptly, so things may appear to be where they aren't any longer. Again, using the Zimbra web interface to see where things really are as you move mails with Outlook will help you narrow this down. Of course, be sure you are using a current, supported and patched version of Outlook!

All the best,
Mark
ngwenyaglass

Post by ngwenyaglass »

Hi Mark,

I have been working in the web ui. The issue with the junk has stopped now as I marked them as safe, but emails from our own domain are still ending up in the sent box. This is in the Zimbra UI.

We have 4 computers in the office all connected to the same email address. 3 are using outlook and unfortunately they are all using different versions and one is using thunderbird. The emails end up in the sent box of all emails clients. It originates from Zimbra. I am truly at a loss as to why.

I also have a problem with sending emails to our self from the website which I am not sure if is related... If I send an email from mail@domain.co.sz to mail@domain.co.sz it fails with the following error 550 5.1.0 Sender address rejected: domain.co.sz. To get around this I send the email to our .biz address and then forward it to the office from there.

Any ideas?

Ben
Last edited by ngwenyaglass on Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
ngwenyaglass

Post by ngwenyaglass »

I have tried setting up a filter to deal with emails that come from our website that end up in the sentbox as unread. I tested it first by tagging the email which worked perfectly. Then I added to the filter "move to the inbox". It temporarily moved it then automatically put it in the sentbox!

Edit: I have just tested from the Zimbra UI sending an email to ourselves and I get both the sent email and the record of the sent email in my sent box! :roll:

What can I do to stop this??
L. Mark Stone
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by L. Mark Stone »

ngwenyaglass wrote:I have tried setting up a filter to deal with emails that come from our website that end up in the sentbox as unread. I tested it first by tagging the email which worked perfectly. Then I added to the filter "move to the inbox". It temporarily moved it then automatically put it in the sentbox!

Edit: I have just tested from the Zimbra UI sending an email to ourselves and I get both the sent email and the record of the sent email in my sent box! :roll:

What can I do to stop this??

To stop this you have to find the root cause.

Try this:

Disable all of the user's Zimbra Filters temporarily and ensure no third-party software (Outlook, Thunderbird, iPhone etc.) is accessing the mailbox.

Test and see what happens. If new inbound emails at this point do not get placed into Sent Items, then you know it's either a Zimbra Filter issue, or a configuration on a third-party software/device.

Presuming that's the case, examine each Zimbra filter via the Edit function to see if any have Sent Items as the destination folder. If not, re-enable them and retest. If all is still good, next you tackle the software/devices one by one until you find the offending software/device.

Hope that helps,
Mark