Upgrade to 8.8.6 and weird issue

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
JDunphy
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 9.0.0_P39 NETWORK Edition

Re: Upgrade to 8.8.6 and weird issue

Post by JDunphy »

saschadd wrote:I did a test run with Opera Mail and Pegasus Mail and the problem is there as well.
So it is not Thunderbird related i think.

Meanwhile it seems to work again halfway.
If i move a message to a folder which i viewed recently the message is shown and everything is fine.
But i am able to reproduce the problem with a folder i havent viewed since the upgrade.
Moving the next message to the same folder works again.

This makes me think that there happens something to the folder when i view it first after the update.
But in which logfile to look for what is happening to folders? ;)
A few things you can do... Enable extra logging for that account and then observe mailbox.log as you test imap.
Enable it via:

Code: Select all

su - zimbra
zmprov aal user@example.net zimbra.imap trace
and disable logging later by

zmprov ral user@example.net
Where the list of things you can trace with extra logging like zimbra.imap is listed here https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Using_log4 ... xd_Logging
mishomvp

Post by mishomvp »

Hello,
I can confirm issue with IMAP problem and Thunderbird (52.7) described in first post still exists in Zimbra 8.8.8 ( zcs-8.8.8_GA_2009.RHEL6_64.20180322150747.tgz).

Error from mailbox.log

2018-04-10 12:19:15,000 ERROR [ImapSSLServer-3] ... imap - unexpected exception
java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.zimbra.cs.imap.LocalImapMailboxStore.getListeners(LocalImapMailboxStore.java:107)
at com.zimbra.cs.imap.ImapFolder.handleAddedMessages(ImapFolder.java:1222)
at com.zimbra.cs.imap.ImapListener.notifyPendingChanges(ImapListener.java:671)
at com.zimbra.cs.imap.ImapListener$PagedFolderData.replay(ImapListener.java:245)
at com.zimbra.cs.imap.ImapListener$PagedFolderData.access$1200(ImapListener.java:121)
at com.zimbra.cs.imap.ImapListener.reload(ImapListener.java:730)
at com.zimbra.cs.imap.ImapListener.getImapFolder(ImapListener.java:399)
at com.zimbra.cs.imap.ImapSessionManager.duplicateExistingSession(ImapSessionManager.java:482)
at com.zimbra.cs.imap.ImapSessionManager.duplicateExistingSession(ImapSessionManager.java:471)
at com.zimbra.cs.imap.ImapSessionManager.openFolder(ImapSessionManager.java:315)
at com.zimbra.cs.imap.ImapHandler.setSelectedFolder(ImapHandler.java:1196)
at com.zimbra.cs.imap.ImapHandler.selectFolder(ImapHandler.java:1784)
at com.zimbra.cs.imap.ImapHandler.doSELECT(ImapHandler.java:1750)
at com.zimbra.cs.imap.ImapHandler.executeRequest(ImapHandler.java:837)
at com.zimbra.cs.imap.NioImapHandler.processRequest(NioImapHandler.java:123)
at com.zimbra.cs.imap.NioImapHandler.messageReceived(NioImapHandler.java:63)
at com.zimbra.cs.server.NioHandlerDispatcher.messageReceived(NioHandlerDispatcher.java:95)
at org.apache.mina.core.filterchain.DefaultIoFilterChain$TailFilter.messageReceived(DefaultIoFilterChain.java:716)
at org.apache.mina.core.filterchain.DefaultIoFilterChain.callNextMessageReceived(DefaultIoFilterChain.java:434)
at org.apache.mina.core.filterchain.DefaultIoFilterChain.access$1200(DefaultIoFilterChain.java:46)
at org.apache.mina.core.filterchain.DefaultIoFilterChain$EntryImpl$1.messageReceived(DefaultIoFilterChain.java:796)
at org.apache.mina.filter.codec.ProtocolCodecFilter$ProtocolDecoderOutputImpl.flush(ProtocolCodecFilter.java:427)
at org.apache.mina.filter.codec.ProtocolCodecFilter.messageReceived(ProtocolCodecFilter.java:245)
at org.apache.mina.core.filterchain.DefaultIoFilterChain.callNextMessageReceived(DefaultIoFilterChain.java:434)
at org.apache.mina.core.filterchain.DefaultIoFilterChain.access$1200(DefaultIoFilterChain.java:46)
at org.apache.mina.core.filterchain.DefaultIoFilterChain$EntryImpl$1.messageReceived(DefaultIoFilterChain.java:796)
at com.zimbra.cs.server.NioLoggingFilter.messageReceived(NioLoggingFilter.java:68)
at org.apache.mina.core.filterchain.IoFilterEvent.fire(IoFilterEvent.java:75)
at org.apache.mina.core.session.IoEvent.run(IoEvent.java:63)
at org.apache.mina.filter.executor.OrderedThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(OrderedThreadPoolExecutor.java:780)
at org.apache.mina.filter.executor.OrderedThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTasks(OrderedThreadPoolExecutor.java:772)
at org.apache.mina.filter.executor.OrderedThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(OrderedThreadPoolExecutor.java:714)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

850 DEBUG [ImapSSLServer-3] [name=...(nginx/1.7.1);ua=Thunderbird/52.7.0;cid=2188;] imap - BAD Unknown Error
850 TRACE [ImapSSLServer-3] [name=....(nginx/1.7.1);ua=Thunderbird/52.7.0;cid=2188;] imap - S: * BAD Unknown Error
Last edited by mishomvp on Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
saschadd
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.11_GA_3737.RHEL7

Post by saschadd »

JDunphy wrote:
saschadd wrote:I did a test run with Opera Mail and Pegasus Mail and the problem is there as well.
So it is not Thunderbird related i think.

Meanwhile it seems to work again halfway.
If i move a message to a folder which i viewed recently the message is shown and everything is fine.
But i am able to reproduce the problem with a folder i havent viewed since the upgrade.
Moving the next message to the same folder works again.

This makes me think that there happens something to the folder when i view it first after the update.
But in which logfile to look for what is happening to folders? ;)
A few things you can do... Enable extra logging for that account and then observe mailbox.log as you test imap.
Enable it via:

su - zimbra
zmprov aal user@example.net zimbra.imap trace
and disable logging later by

zmprov ral user@example.net
Where the list of things you can trace with extra logging like zimbra.imap is listed here https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Using_log4 ... xd_Logging
I tried your suggestion but so far i couldnt find something useful.
The only output i get when i touch a unread message which i cant see in thunderbird in zimbra webclient is as follows

2018-04-10 23:14:33,054 INFO [qtp998351292-20320:https:https://mail.domain.net/service/soap/MsgActionRequest] [name=account@mail.domain.net;mid=10;ip=176.9.82.xxx;port=56736;ua=ZimbraWebClient - FF59 (Win)/8.8.8_GA_2009;soapId=69730884;] soap - MsgActionRequest elapsed=68

I also have an orphaned message which is poppin up in thunderbird nearly every day in an subfolder.
The message is not there in zimbra webmail and in thunderbird it has no subject and always gets the actual date when it pops up.
I read the logs and it says

imap - ** removing: {m=536508, u=536508}

which seems to be the message id. But it seems that i am not even able to delete it via cli

zmmailbox -z -m account@mail.domain.net dm 536508

it is still poppin up all the time.

i had the idea that the new NG Modules could have done something wrong as they were not part of 8.7.11 from where i upgraded.
do those new NG Modules have to be initialized after upgrading? Maybe the HSM NG?

Meanwhile i get the feeling that zimbra and thunderbird are no friends ;).
I am using thunderbird since the beginning and was using some other mail servers but with none of them i had so many problems like with zimbra which is often behaving differently.
mishomvp

Post by mishomvp »

I can add and...
If i mark email as "Mark as read" from web client ... after this i check folder(with Thunderbird) and i already see last message. Otherwise i can't read last message from Thunderbird.
mario.nee@essegi

Post by mario.nee@essegi »

We have installed the 8.8.8_GA_3008 and the problem still exist.
I noticed the same behavior reported by mishomvp, but is there another workaround?
pgzimbra

Re: Upgrade to 8.8.6 and weird issue (still present on 8.8.11_P3)

Post by pgzimbra »

Running

zmcontrol -v
  Release 8.8.11.GA.3737.UBUNTU16.64 UBUNTU16_64 FOSS edition, Patch 8.8.11_P3.
with Thunderbird v60.6.0/Linux client, I intermittently (I can't yet reproduce these on-demand ...) see:
"The current operation on 'Inbox' did not succeed. The mail server for account user@example.com responded: mx.example.com Zimbra IMAP4rev1 server closing connection."
Did anyone get this resolved? Or has the discussion moved to another topic/thread?