Zimbra's New Bug & RFE Process And Forum France Follow-Up

Official Zimbra news, events, releases, and updates.
gbillat
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Zimbra's New Bug & RFE Process And Forum France Follow-Up

Post by gbillat »

It was great seeing so many of you at #ZFF2018 Forum France last week! Checkout the recap here: https://blog.zimbra.com/2018/03/zimbra- ... hats-wrap/

One topic covered at the Forum was Zimbra’s new Bug and RFE process.

Synacor/Zimbra has started using a new bug and request for enhancement process and will no longer actively monitor the old Zimbra bugzilla.

Customers with a valid Zimbra license or Open Source support contract will be able to report bugs and request enhancements via Zimbra support. Zimbra Partners should always reach out to their account managers as a primary resource.

Zimbra engineering and product management teams will evaluate, prioritize and schedule the reported issues, which will allow for quicker resolution of critical issues. Lower priority issues will either be fixed or rejected within two months to avoid issues piling-up over time. (i.e.; no black hole!)

This will happen in closed Synacor internal systems, which is required to protect the sensitive and private data included in those reports and the compliance standards Synacor as a public company has to follow (for example GDPR).

However, we acknowledge the need of our Partners to have some level of access to the open bugs and RFEs, and we will investigate possibilities to provide some kind of access within these boundaries.

Synacor is and always has been fully committed to the Zimbra Open Source community and therefore is currently setting up an Open Source project, which will work with the community members to move the Open Source side of Zimbra forward. This Open Source project will offer means to openly report issues, file enhancement requests and collaborate just like the old Zimbra bugzilla did, but it will be a fresh new platform.

More details on the Open Source project will be released separately within the next couple of weeks.

Thank you for your continued support of and loyalty to Zimbra! We value you immensely.
gbillat
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Re: Zimbra's New Bug & RFE Process And Forum France Follow-Up

Post by gbillat »

Hello,

Here is an update on Zimbra's Network Edition bug fix / reporting process: https://blog.zimbra.com/2018/05/zimbras ... g-process/

Thanks!
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

gbillat wrote:More details on the Open Source project will be released separately within the next couple of weeks.
Didn't you also make the above statement? It's now over seven weeks since you posted that, is there any update for your 'loyal' open source users or is this just more lack of interest from Synacor in these forums and it's users?
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
jered
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by jered »

I’m really bummed that there’s no longer a path for bug reporting for the OSS Edition users. I’m an OSS Edition admin (for myself and a handful of friends and family) and I’ve both reported bugs and submitted patches (which are still lingering unloved in Bugzilla for bugs that still exist in HEAD).

I understand Zimbra doesn’t have an upstream but rather depends on lots of other upstreams and then maintains its own components, but this isn’t an effective way to engage the free software community.

I know you say “stay tuned,” but this doesn’t make me very hopeful. I love Zimbra and recommend it for commercial use all the time, but I obviously can’t justify buying it for personal use so I fix bugs and contribute patches where I can. Where’s the love?
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

jered wrote:I’m really bummed that there’s no longer a path for bug reporting for the OSS Edition users.
You and me both, doesn't it sound like it's becoming more of a closed source project than anything else? The lack of anyone from Zimbra posting useful information here is astounding and it's ridiculous that this project is moving forward(?) without the ability of the Open Source user base being able to influence future product development or quality by not having a sensible place to file bugs, RFEs etc.....
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra