Weird Zimbra Backup Behaviour

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
bhwong
Advanced member
Advanced member

Weird Zimbra Backup Behaviour

Post by bhwong »

Is it possible for Zimbra scheduled full backup of almost 3TB of data to take just 5 minutes to complete? How is this even possible?

Is it because it use hardlink as a form of deduplication, thus it actually perform just increment backup as full backup? Then what's the difference between a daily incremental backup and a weekly full backup in this case?

Also, any idea what does [Full backup failed (out of disk)] error mean? My backup storage still have 2TB of free space. It's not out of storage at all. When I raise this case to Zimbra Support, they advise me to do a manual full backup to verify. But a manual full backup took over a day and still unable to complete. So I have to stop it as users are complaining over slow performance.

When I raise this issue up your support, they insisted that I need to raise another support case to ask another question despite it's related to the same backup issue. Why do you have such a policy where related issue has to be isolated in separate support case and they may end up not seeing the connection?
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Re: Weird Zimbra Backup Behaviour

Post by phoenix »

bhwong wrote:When I raise this issue up your support, they insisted that I need to raise another support case to ask another question despite it's related to the same backup issue. Why do you have such a policy where related issue has to be isolated in separate support case and they may end up not seeing the connection?
You ought to know by now that these forums are not Zimbra Support, they are community forums and any questions about ZCS NE editions should go via support. In addition, you're wasting your time posting questions about Zimbra Support policy on the forums, Zimbra staff almost never post or visit on these forums and they're unlikely to see your question here.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
bhwong
Advanced member
Advanced member

Re: Weird Zimbra Backup Behaviour

Post by bhwong »

Sometimes the forum can be more helpful and responsive, especially when I'm seeking for verification from other administrators for their own Zimbra backup experience. Whether their full backup is taking just few minutes as well? Or is it because there is something wrong with mine.

And to be honest, Zimbra Support usually take a while to response (sometimes over a week) and at times, they may even gave wrong information or instruction (the recent Case 00667524 regarding 2FA was a good example). So it's good to have second opinions here from more experienced users to reconfirm.