Silly Mistake - Please Help

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
Bluebottle1

Silly Mistake - Please Help

Post by Bluebottle1 »

When making some changes to a Zimbra server I accidentally ran :

Code: Select all

rm -rf /opt/zimbra/
:shock:

I releaised my mistake after a couple of seconds and cancelled the command.
Obviously some files were removed within those seconds. Now when running zimbra commands I get errors about Java and others.

I have moved /opt/zimbra to /opt/zimbraOLD for now and I am currently setting up a new installation.

What I really need to know is if there is a way to extract accounts and mail from a broken zimbra setup.

Thanks in advance
JDunphy
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 9.0.0_P39 NETWORK Edition

Re: Silly Mistake - Please Help

Post by JDunphy »

Bluebottle1 wrote:When making some changes to a Zimbra server I accidentally ran :

Code: Select all

rm -rf /opt/zimbra/
:shock:

I releaised my mistake after a couple of seconds and cancelled the command.
Obviously some files were removed within those seconds. Now when running zimbra commands I get errors about Java and others.

I have moved /opt/zimbra to /opt/zimbraOLD for now and I am currently setting up a new installation.

What I really need to know is if there is a way to extract accounts and mail from a broken zimbra setup.

Thanks in advance
Take a look at what Mark Stone said in the viewtopic.php?f=15&t=64514#p284711. Hard to know how/what was deleted but install.sh has a -s to install software only if you think the data is intact.
gabrieles
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by gabrieles »

You can't state exactly what the deletion actually deleted.
If you're on Network, new install, or reinstall, and restore from yesterday's backups (today's redolog can be inconsistent or deleted)
If you're on Foss, rely on your backup system, and do the same.
Bluebottle1

Post by Bluebottle1 »

gabrieles wrote:You can't state exactly what the deletion actually deleted.
If you're on Network, new install, or reinstall, and restore from yesterday's backups (today's redolog can be inconsistent or deleted)
If you're on Foss, rely on your backup system, and do the same.

Unfortnatley there are no backups of this server - The person who orignially set the server up thought not to do that part.
So we are a bit stuck. Do you know if there is any way to recover mail accounts & emails (that could possibly still be there and not deleted)
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

Bluebottle1 wrote:Unfortnatley there are no backups of this server - The person who orignially set the server up thought not to do that part.
So we are a bit stuck. Do you know if there is any way to recover mail accounts & emails (that could possibly still be there and not deleted)
There are various threads/posts in the forums that describe exactly the situation you have, I don't have the time at the moment to do this but please search the forums and it should be fairly easy to find.

BTW, make sure you take a full backup (using rsync) of the /opt/zimbra directory structure before you do anything else on this server.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
Bluebottle1

Recover Mailbox / Contacts.

Post by Bluebottle1 »

Hello, was hoping someone will be able to help;

Our old Zimbra server was broken basically by an mistaken rm command.
Now it isnt possible to start the zimbra services due to missing files.

I have a new Zimbra install running and working - But all old emails and contacts are obviously missing

Is it possible to salvage the users Mailboxs / Address books and import or move them to the new install.

(The VM does not have backups)
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Re: Recover Mailbox / Contacts.

Post by phoenix »

I made a suggestion in your previous thread that there are threads in the forums on how to do a recovery of the email, did you look for any of those? BTW, do not start a new thread when you already have one on the same topic.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra