OS8.8.9+ backups?

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
tonyg
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.12.GA.3794.UBUNTU18.64 FOSS

OS8.8.9+ backups?

Post by tonyg »

The Product Comparison page says "Real-time Backup and Restore" is Not included in OS. But there's no mention of zmschedulebackup and related functionality for scheduled backups. The current admin guide does say on License Expiration that Backup/Restore is no longer available. But that doesn't say Real-time.

The guide also documents using zmschedulebackup, zmbackup, etc. But my new installation does not include any of these commands.

Is there a special download to get this functionality?
I'm guessing these commands are not available for the open source version.
Perhaps the comparison page needs clarification?

After looking through the scripts in the wiki and some Googling, I don't see anything recent here on backup/restore strategies for the Open Source edition.

Sooo.. What's the latest? (Running CentOS7 here) What's the recommended approach to getting backups via cron?
I'm running a very low volume installation with about 10 domains but (so far) about 5 accounts plus aliases per domain. So I wouldn't mind just getting a snapshot of /opt/zimbra. But I'm not sure that's adequate.

Thanks.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Re: OS8.8.9+ backups?

Post by phoenix »

There is no backup/restore function within the Open Source version of ZCS and the documentation links you've posted are for the NE version - you can get the Zimbra Suite Plus (or the ZeXtras product) for the OSS version. Although the wiki articles are old(ish) they are still valid as far as I know, there may also be some further scripts in the forums (did you also search there)?
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
tonyg
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.12.GA.3794.UBUNTU18.64 FOSS

Post by tonyg »

Thanks Bill. I was not aware of the Suite or that package's backup tools.
Perhaps I overlooked it when going through the wiki.
Perhaps references and links have been non-existent or overlooked in the wiki or in other tips on backups.
Perhaps whenever I saw the word License I started to glaze over.
For whatever reasons, I didn't know about it until now.

I have been through the forum to get tips on scripts for backup and restore, and I've been googling through blogs and the wiki. I've been doing my homework. I've created a (OneNote) notebook to save scripts, and commands that I can script, for later use/edit.
Some scripts are for older versions, no surprise. This platform seems to get more radical changes than others, outdating HowTo info fairly quickly.
I asked what people are generally using now just in case I missed anything. My plan has been to consider using anything that's current, or barring anything new here, to update and perhaps re-publish whatever I've logged so far that seems viable. (I'd like to contribute to the wiki but as yet I have not received a response to my request for access.)

So I appreciate the option in the Suite - THANKS!
I'm hoping to learn from the experience of others, and would still like to know what people are actually using to do their backups/restores in v8.8.9+. Perhaps someone else stumbling on this thread later can at least see what's current as of this date/release.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

First of all I use the ZeXtras Suite (purchased from ZeXtras) for my backup solution and activesync and that works a treat for my backup/restore requirements and migrations to a new server - I only have a small personal server. There are a couple of options as far as I see it and this depends on the size of your server and number of users. Obviously the first option would be ZeXtras (from Zimbra or ZeXtras - I'd go with the latter); you could try any one of the available scripts that's on the wiki and/or forums and written specifically for backup; you could set-up a HA configuration (possibly more trouble than it's worth) or you could set-up an archiving server (there are free open source products available last time I looked) and that would give your users access to their email on another server. Depending on the capability and configuration of an archiving server that would seem the best option to me, any backup/restore on the OSS version require the service(s) to be stopped then doing an rsync.

It's been a while since I've looked at, or used, anything other than ZeXtras so my comments above may be slightly out-of-date. :(
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra