Centos 7 Install hell...

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
snowymoountain
Advanced member
Advanced member

Centos 7 Install hell...

Post by snowymoountain »

I am totally stuck on this....

DNS ERROR - none of the MX records for *********.uk.com
resolve to this host
It is suggested that the MX record resolve to this host
Re-Enter domain name? [Yes]

the sub domainDNS and MX record point to this host the host is netted....

Everything I try fails....
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Re: Centos 7 Install hell...

Post by phoenix »

snowymoountain wrote:I am totally stuck on this....

DNS ERROR - none of the MX records for *********.uk.com
resolve to this host
It is suggested that the MX record resolve to this host
Re-Enter domain name? [Yes]

the sub domainDNS and MX record point to this host the host is netted....

Everything I try fails....
Did you read some of the forum threads and wiki articles on this subject such as the Split DNS article. If the check is telling you there's no DNS record then you're DNS is not correct. Telling us that your DNS (and your hosts file?) is correct doesn't really mean anything, we need to see the correct output for the domain that you're trying to use and, BTW, what is a sub-domain in this context (it should really be a domain name)?
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
snowymoountain
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by snowymoountain »

Its a domain i said sub domain but mean FQDN on the server domain being xxx.uk.com server being server.xxx.uk.com

I've looked at loads of articles not seen the split DNS one, I have wiped the machine and set up 5 times and tried to reinstall 30 times I have never encountered such an issue ...

The outside DNS points to the server outside IP and an MX record is correctly in place, the server hostname is set so that hostname returns the FQDN
snowymoountain
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by snowymoountain »

[root@newmail ~]# host newmail.xxxx.uk.com
newmail.xxxx.uk.com has address 192.168.100.27
[root@newmail ~]# host xxxx.uk.com
xxxx.uk.com has address 192.168.100.27
xxxx.uk.com has address 192.168.100.201
xxxx.uk.com mail is handled by 5 newmail.xxxx.uk.com.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

The Split DNS article has a 'Verify...' section that tells you how to check your setting and what exactly is needed, have you run those commands as shown? That should confirm if everything is correct, if you want you can post the exact output here for verification.
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
snowymoountain
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by snowymoountain »

OK
So I set up a local DNS server on another internal machine, created a forward and reverse DNS entry for the Zimbra server + mx record and all sorted....

one thing since the machine is newmail.xxxx.com the first email / login is admin@newmail.xxxx.com where I would like it to be admin@xxxx.com

I'm not using that domain for any email and will be using the server for a bunch of other domains however the question is I want email for the main domain not the subdomain moving forward.

having set up other mail servers in the past since 1999 the server tends to receive mail for the actual domain and any FQDN of the mail server by default so this may not actually be an issue.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

When you installed Zimbra you were asked if you wanted to change the domain name, you need to answer "yes" to that and then enter the domain name which should be "domain.com" and not "fqdn.domain.com". Do you have any users on this server yet?
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
snowymoountain
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by snowymoountain »

No no users apart from a test one on the server FQDN and another test user on a separate parent domain I created both work... but probably not a great idea going forward....

I was about to reinstall and do that change domain step.

I am interested in the spamassasin upgrade rspamd you suggest but have got magic spam for a month to see how that does although it seems like not an awful lot that can't be done on the CLI
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

snowymoountain wrote:I was about to reinstall and do that change domain step.
You could rename the domain but the easiest is to wipe the install and do it again from the beginning.
snowymoountain wrote:I am interested in the spamassasin upgrade rspamd you suggest but have got magic spam for a month to see how that does although it seems like not an awful lot that can't be done on the CLI
I'm just a home usre of ZCS and Rspamd works fine for me with very little mods needed in my environment. It is really easy to implement with a fairly active development cycle. What I've done is install rspamd on the ZCS server (but it can be on a separate server) with a second 'neighbour' where I test changes and if there's no problems I then make those changes on the main rspamd server - it save screwing up your working config.
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

merwinder wrote:Every time I installed Centos on the VPS server I had problems with proper operation. So I stayed on Ubuntu ...
I've been using ZCS on various releases of CentOS since 2005 and never had any problems with it whereas Ubuntu has a poor package management system. :)
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra