Upgrade 8.6 Ubuntu 14 to 8.8 Ubuntu 16

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
mhammett
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: Release 8.6.0.GA.1153.UBUNTU14.64 U

Upgrade 8.6 Ubuntu 14 to 8.8 Ubuntu 16

Post by mhammett »

Code: Select all

Release 8.6.0.GA.1153.UBUNTU14.64 UBUNTU14_64 FOSS edition, Patch 8.6.0_P14.
Do I need to go to 8.7 on my way to 8.8? I don't get that impression from the release notes, but I'd rather ask than be incorrect.

I'm seeing forum threads saying to upgrade Zimbra first and others saying to upgrade Ubuntu first. Which do I do first? I'm thinking upgrade to Zimbra 8.8 on Ubuntu 14, upgrade to Ubuntu 16, upgrade to Zimbra 8.8 for Ubuntu 16.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Re: Upgrade 8.6 Ubuntu 14 to 8.8 Ubuntu 16

Post by phoenix »

It would tell you in the Release Notes if there was a problem in upgrading from one version of ZCS to another othewiwse you can assume it's safe to upgrade.

However, you've been mentioned that you're upgrading your Distribution O/S - in my opinion, that should never be done under any circumstances and you're far better moving your ZCS to another server which has the O/S you want and the corresponding version of ZCS you want and is simple using the ZeXtras Migration Tool. You'll get advice that it's safe to upgrade ZCS & the O/s but is it worth the effort if it goes wrong (look at some of the failed attempts in these forums)? If you're determined to do it the there's a wiki article on the subject or try some of the forum suggestions.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
mhammett
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by mhammett »

I'll re-evaluate that, but my hesitation is that doing all new servers provides many opportunities for things to go wrong as you're changing everything.

Also, generic references to wiki articles and forum posts aren't incredibly helpful. If they were that easily found (and didn't conflict), Google would have turned them up in the first page of results.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

mhammett wrote:I'll re-evaluate that, but my hesitation is that doing all new servers provides many opportunities for things to go wrong as you're changing everything.
You're changing everything by doing an in-place upgrade and it's never a good idea but that is my opinion and YMMV.
mhammett wrote:Also, generic references to wiki articles and forum posts aren't incredibly helpful. If they were that easily found (and didn't conflict), Google would have turned them up in the first page of results.
Well as I don't use Ubuntu (nor would I ever use it) I don't keep links for them so chastising me for making a 'generic references' doesn't do much for me and I'm afraid you'll have to do some research yourself as I've no time or inclination to do the work for you.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
mhammett
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by mhammett »

I much prefer Debian to Ubuntu, but for some reason, Zimbra prefers Ubuntu over Debian.
Al-MacLean

Post by Al-MacLean »

I have also had issue with determining good reliable info on this topic.
And I'm part-way through the upgrade process, so thought I'd give you notes on my experience so far...

We have had 8.6 on Ubuntu 14.04 for years, but with the Zimbra version going out of support (and 14.04 too), I needed to try and move it up.

Our config is a VM, so preserving states between each change stage has been an absolute lifesaver, as not everything goes as planned.
Our original plan was:

1. Temporarily disable the (separate hardware) firewall's email NAT rules, to prevent intermediate message delivery to our system (prevent loss in case of system role-back)
2. Shut down VM and copy it to a named backup.
3. Upgrade Z.8.6 to Z.8.7 (to gain Ubuntu 16.04 support). This adds custom repo's for Zimbra.
4. Shutdown and take another copy of the VM's disk image.
5. Upgrade Ubuntu 14.04 -> 16.04
6. Take another VM copy
7. Upgrade Z.8.7 -> Z.8.8

In reality, I completed up to step 4 without any issue (very early one morning), so we now run Z.8.7 (though it has a new bug with some replies getting inline images attaching multiple times). However, the upgrade of Ubuntu to 16.04 did not go well (for Zimbra; the Ubuntu system itself was quite happy), with it removing the Zimbra repo's again (I think) and the Zimbra zmcontrol (required for any further Zimbra upgrading) not being able to run.

I had tried the suggestion from this forum post viewtopic.php?f=13&t=60084 about the perl libraries, but it didn't help. I have several others bookmarked to re-review.

As I had at that point been at it for 4 hours from a 5:30 AM start and was starting to get brain-fade (and feeling like I would be grasping at straws trying to resolve things), I rolled-back the server to the (working) 8.7 on 14.04 state and re-enabled the firewall rule and tested mail delivery/user access again.

I see many suggestions to build a new server and use the trial edition of ZeXtras backup/migrate to move the accounts to the new version. I may investigate this more deeply, but server avaliability/resource pressure doesn't always make this a paractical option, along with business-continuity concerns;
Assuming there's asystem available to use, it's availability of network ports, disk space, impact of the server domain name + internal IP address, possibly also public DNS and firewall NAT settings (if originals cannot be retained/migrated), impact on DKIM, can TLS/SSL certificates for the server also migrate, and so on.

Doing an in-place upgrade is documented as supported (sort of - it's definitely implied) - but we still see so many questions (including my own) on the failures.

It's frustrating, but then again, we are getting a lot of capability for free...
Al-MacLean

Post by Al-MacLean »

To reply to my own post above, I later found another forum post here viewtopic.php?f=13&t=64218&start=10 that mentions removing the zimbra service startup script (from /etc/init.d directory, script is named "zimbra" - I would plan to move this to another directory rather than totally delete it, just in case), doing the Ubuntu release upgrade and then re-installing the existing version of Zimbra back on top of itself (so for me, 8.7 back on top of 8.7). I have not yet gone through testing this, but it reminds me of reading someone else mentioning this approach, so it holds some promise (and as I can do the VM backup first, can try without losing current working system if it fails).