ASSP Spam Filter

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
snowymoountain
Advanced member
Advanced member

ASSP Spam Filter

Post by snowymoountain »

Hi,

I have have been using Magicspam but have just come across ASSP which looks a million times better, has anyone used it ?

http://www.thockar.com/assp-home/

I'm going to look at this as it looks absolutely brilliant...

List of Features...
What features make ASSP great? ...
- Easy browser-based setup. No web-Server or servlet Server required.
- Uses your existing message transport and existing SMTP server.
- Works with Sendmail, qmail, Postfix, Imail, Exchange, Courier, Mercury, IBM Lotus Domino, and all other standard SMTP servers.
- Runs on Linux, Unix, Windows, OS X, OS/2, and more.
- Automatically customizes to your site's unique email profile.
- Automatic whitelist -- noone you email will ever be blocked.
- Early Sender validation -- Kills most spam before it ever reaches the server.
- Senders receive immediate notification, if mail is blocked but no erroneous bounces are ever generated.
- Redlist keeps an address off the whitelist.
- No-processing addresses pass through.
- Makes use of honeypot type spambucket addresses to automatically recognize spam and update your spam database.
- Bayesian and Hidden Markov Model filter intelligently classifies email into spam and non-spam.
- Supports additional site-defined regular expressions to identify spam or non-spam email.
- Can optionally block all non-whitelisted email (for anti-spam zelots).
- Automatically maintains the spam and non-spam databases.
- Accepts whitelist submissions and spam error reports by authorized email.
- Optionally rejects executable attachments from non-whitelisted (or all) addresses, including scripts and MS-Office macros.
- Integrates with ClamAV and/or any antivirus application of your choice.
- Optionally generates scheduled block reports.
- Free (as in speech) software -- Licensed under the GPL.
- Practically no maintenance required.
- Active user community, forum and email list for support questions.
- Source code included if you need to customize your installation.
- Runs as a service in Windows.
- Optionally blocks no mail but adds an email header and/or updates the message subject.
- Optionally uses community-based spam statistics to identify hosts that are likely to send spam or non-spam mail.
- In *nix environments can switch to non-root user. Also supports chroot jail.
- Individual users can be configured to receive all mail.
- Shows detailed analysis of spam rating process for specific messages.
- Option to forward a copy of every rejected and/or accepted mail to an address.
- Can block spam-bombs (when spammers forge your domain in the from field).
- Keeps spam statistics for your site.
- Detailed documentation for each configuration parameter.
- Can listen on more than one smtp port.
- It supports IPv6, SSL and STARTTLS.
- It supports SPF,SRS,DKIM, Domainkey, DMARC, ARC, URIBL, DNSBL, RWL, Backscatter detection, LDAP and VRFY user and domain verification.
- ASSP has full unicode support.
- ASSP can be monitored and configured using SNMP.
- Multiple ASSP can share configuration parameters.
- Can enhance functionality using plugins (content based executable detection, OCR, DCC, Razor2, blocked mail RSS feed)
- it provides centralized privat SMIME signing and a special mechanism for corporate SMIME signing using one simple privat certificate

And much more!
lytledd
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: Release 9.0.0.ZEXTRAS.20221203 FOSS

Re: ASSP Spam Filter

Post by lytledd »

I have have been using Magicspam but have just come across ASSP which looks a million times better, has anyone used it ?
Yes,

I've been using it a better part of a decade and it's being actively developed.

Doug
snowymoountain
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by snowymoountain »

Thanks I've just setup a separate CentOS 7 VM to install it to test, I was going to either install with Zimbra once I'm happy with it or keep separate, do you have any recommendations.

I have Barracuda free RBL and Invaluement with Magic spam recommended settings and getting no spam really but I like the whitelist features and the SURBL facility with ASSP as well as implementation of serious examination of images etc.... my thinking is its good to have because its so much more powerful.

I love the auto whitelist user able to forward spam and ability to actually keep spam....

I am interested what are your favourite features ?
lytledd
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: Release 9.0.0.ZEXTRAS.20221203 FOSS

Post by lytledd »

Thanks I've just setup a separate CentOS 7 VM to install it to test, I was going to either install with Zimbra once I'm happy with it or keep separate, do you have any recommendations.
Subscribe to the ASSP-Test v2 mailing list (Where Thomas does most of his active posting) https://sourceforge.net/p/assp/mailman/
Keep ASSP on a separate system; I just created an additional Virtual Machine. I've always stayed away from putting things on the Zimbra server.
Set ASSP to allow all SPAM, but tag it and setup a mail filter for your users that move tagged SPAM into their SPAM folder

Once your system is properly trained, you can then decide on if you'll let ASSP block SPAM.
I am interested what are your favourite features ?
I no longer manage a large ASSP install, since I am no longer with that employer, but I do run one on my personal Zimbra server. I like the white listing/black listing. The granular controls on filtering.

Doug
FredKarno

Post by FredKarno »

I used it for many years and thought it was excellent. I stopped using it when we migrated to Zimbra but I've often considered switching back as it performed very well compared to spamassassin on Zimbra. That may be because my users are _incredibly_ lazy and won't ever sort/delete their Junk folders in Zimbra. I think we had a few more false positives but it was easy to train users to "just send them an email and tell them to reply" which is intuitive compared to "Go to Junk and report as Not Spam" for a certain type of person.