Migration to Gmail

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
josef.stasa

Migration to Gmail

Post by josef.stasa »

Hi,

we have 1 mail server and multiple domains in Zimbra. Users from one particular domain have been migrated to Gmail (Gsuite) but they still exist in Zimbra. Now, if users from the other Zimbra domains send an email to the users currently in Gmail, the emails are still being delivered to Zimbra. It seems that Zimbra sends email internally within all the domains configured in Zimbra.

Is there a way how to change it? Ideally, I would like to configure that all emails sent to that particular domain are always delivered to Gmail.

Thank you,
Josef
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Re: Migration to Gmail

Post by phoenix »

My question would be: why do you still have the domain in the Zimbra server? If you don't need it then remove it from ZCS, if you actually want to keep the mail 'just in case' then rename the domain and everything will go to the external domain.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
josef.stasa

Post by josef.stasa »

Thank you for the response, Bill! The reason why is that we still have a couple of very important users using Zimbra on the old domain while the majority of the users are in Gmail. As a result, they still need to check the both systems. Are you sure that we don't lose any emails if we rename the domain?
Thanky,
Josef
yo_mono

Post by yo_mono »

You may have to read about split domain
https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Split_Domain

You should delete the accounts you dont need anymore on the Zimbra server. That way -by using the split domain- if the mail doesn't exist there, it will be sent to Gmail. If it does exist, it will be sent to the local Zimbra server
josef.stasa

Post by josef.stasa »

Thank you. Btw. how can I rename the domain? I am unable to do so in the Zimbra admin webportal.
Thanks,
Josef
Lewis-H

Post by Lewis-H »

Steps to Transfer Zimbra Emails to Gmail:
1. Export emails from Zimbra Client using the Import/Export option.
2. Extract the Zimbra TGZ archive to a folder using WinRar or any TGZ Extractor.
3. Run Advik EML to Gmail Import Wizard.
4. Locate/Add Zimbra Mailbox Folder into the software panel.
5. Enter Gmail login credentials.
josef.stasa

Post by josef.stasa »

Thank you all for your support! We decided to compeletely delete the domain in Zimbra which resolved our issue.