8.8.15: very slow when accessing shared folders

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
maxxer
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

8.8.15: very slow when accessing shared folders

Post by maxxer »

Hi.
We recently migrated an old 8.0.5 to 8.8.15 on a new server (more powerful).

Since the migration users accessing shared (mounted) accounts experience an extremely slow Web UI into those folders, sometimes locking the browser, sometimes hanging with the "loading" dialog.
Logging into the shared account is fast, it's slow only when accessed as mounted. Those shared account have 10y of email, thousands in number, but as said logging directly doesn't show problems.

Checking on the server (Ubuntu 18.04, dedicated to Zimbra) doesn't show high usage. I occasionally see MySQL spiking for a minute or two on two cores.

Anyone having the same issue?
thanks
maxxer
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Re: 8.8.15: very slow when accessing shared folders

Post by maxxer »

I found the query being dead slow is this:

Code: Select all

SELECT mi.id, mi.type, mi.parent_id, mi.folder_id, mi.prev_folders, mi.index_id,mi.imap_id, mi.date, mi.size, mi.locator, mi.blob_digest, mi.unread, mi.flags, mi.tag_names, mi.subject,mi.name, mi.metadata, mi.mod_metadata, mi.change_date, mi.mod_content, mi.uuid, mi.unread AS sortcol 
FROM mboxgroup19.mail_item AS mi 
WHERE mi.mailbox_id = 19 AND ((mi.type = 0x05 OR mi.type = 0x10) AND mi.folder_id = 2) ORDER BY sortcol DESC, mi.id DESC LIMIT 0,1003
It's being executed several times with different LIMIT, and can run for minutes.

What puzzles me is sorting for mi.unread... Even if on the UI I set sorting for received date the query still uses that field.

The query itself doesn't seem to be the only problem... It's run and re-run several times in loop! Once reaches a certain LIMIT value it starts again from 0!
gabrieles
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by gabrieles »

user's zimbraPrefSortOrder are already wiped?
maxxer
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by maxxer »

Thanks for the suggestion, it's hard to tell as the problem happens intermittently during the day but wiping sort horder might have had some impact. The folder opening is still slow, occasionally it improved a bit but it's not definitely resolved.

What makes me crazy is that opening the same mailbox alone, not as mounted dir, is fast.
maxxer
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by maxxer »

Thanks again for the suggestion, some users reported significant improvement now.

I found this old thread with the same problem and your suggestion.
There's also an open bug
davidkillingsworth
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15.GA.3869.UBUNTU14.64-Patch 24

Post by davidkillingsworth »

We have alot of users with access to other maiboxes. Those other mailboxes are accounts that are not assigned to any one user, such as info@domain.com. Those mailboxes are shared to the actual users.

This is how we share them:

Code: Select all

zmmailbox -z -m info@domain.com mfg /Inbox account user.account@domain.com rwidx
zmmailbox -z -m info@domain.com mfg /Sent account user.account@domain.com rwidx
zmmailbox -z -m info@domain.com mfg /Drafts account user.account@domain.com rwidx
zmmailbox -z -m info@domain.com mfg /Junk account user.account@domain.com rwidx
zmmailbox -z -m info@domain.com mfg /Trash account user.account@domain.com rwidx

zmprov grr account info@domain.com usr user.account@domain.com sendAs
I don't remember which upgrade it was a year or two ago, but we had to basically remove the shared mailboxes from the zimbra webmail of the users having the issue and delete the trash and then re-add the shared mailboxes.

This seemed to fix the issue.

It does also happen very rarely even when we haven't upgraded. Maybe 1 or 2 times in the last year.

Removing and re-adding the shared mailboxes was the fix for those incidents as well.

Hope that helps.
maxxer
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by maxxer »

davidkillingsworth wrote:Removing and re-adding the shared mailboxes was the fix for those incidents as well.
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll take note.

Among all the tests we did for the issue we probably did the same, since now the mailbox works normally.