Handling emails with dots

Have a great idea for extending Zimbra? Share ideas, ask questions, contribute, and get feedback.
kcergun

Handling emails with dots

Post by kcergun »

Hi,
is there any solution for handling all mails by zimbra that including dots like gmail.

Example if user created account like username and mail sent to user.name or us.ername, u.ser.name etc. i want to get it all to original email address. I thought creating aliases but there are too many combinations of aliases to create.

Is there any solution in zimbra ?
DualBoot
Elite member
Elite member
ZCS/ZD Version: ZCS FLOSS - 8.8.15 Mutli servers

Re: Handling emails with dots

Post by DualBoot »

Hello,

no and I think that is not a good idea.

Regards,
kcergun

Post by kcergun »

Hi,
How can you say its not a good idea. As you now in gmail if you take an account without dots, all combination of account with dots will be yours.

if you have johndoe@gmail.com and i send mail to john.doe@gmail.com, you will receive mail. And you can login with john.doe@gmail.com too.

Its really a big requirement.
L. Mark Stone
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: 10.0.7 Network Edition

Post by L. Mark Stone »

You can create all the aliases you want, and can script them from the CLI too if you wish. I too feel that too many aliases is a bad thing, as it opens you up to receiving more spam.

Further, allowing users to log in with their account aliases, although the default behavior, many consider to be a security risk. You can turn it off on every mailbox host like so:

Code: Select all

zmlocalconfig -e alias_login_enabled=false
Hope that helps,
Mark
DualBoot
Elite member
Elite member
ZCS/ZD Version: ZCS FLOSS - 8.8.15 Mutli servers

Post by DualBoot »

kcergun wrote:Hi,
How can you say its not a good idea. As you now in gmail if you take an account without dots, all combination of account with dots will be yours.

if you have johndoe@gmail.com and i send mail to john.doe@gmail.com, you will receive mail. And you can login with john.doe@gmail.com too.

Its really a big requirement.
It was just my point of view as I wrote. Argue with Google is doing that is not a good point too.
That's all.
BradC
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by BradC »

kcergun wrote:How can you say its not a good idea. As you now in gmail if you take an account without dots, all combination of account with dots will be yours.
Just because google does it doesn't mean it's a good idea.
kcergun wrote:Its really a big requirement.
For whom?

If you are intent on replicating gmails odd rules left of the "@" symbol, put something like exim or postfix in front of zimbra and write a filter to strip full stops. Heck, hack the zimbra server to do it. Maybe start here : https://superuser.com/questions/1423386 ... ail-regexp

Don't try and enforce that brain-damage on the rest of us. A full stop in an e-mail address is a character, not a wildcard.

Edit: To elaborate, examine RFC 822 6.2.4 & 6.2.5 which specifically includes the full stop as part of the address as "lexical separators". "Hence, their presence in local-parts which are not quoted-strings, is detected." (em-far-sys mine).